Sarasa comet

Thanks Chelsea, yes I do know they are a forum of comet but I did read they don't get as big, is that true or did I miss read information?? Thanks Sharon I will read it again, good idea its been a while since I read it.

What you read is silly. Color has no effect on the size of comets. I will tell you a funny story. I was in a big box pet store a few years ago, and observed a tank of sarasa comets for abou $7 each, just three feet from the tank with the large feeders, priced at $0.27 each. The latter tank included sarasa comets, orange comets, white comets, some comets that were still wild-colored, and similarly colored commons. They were only slightly smaller than the "large" sarasa comets.

A salesperson stopped to talk. In the course of our conversation I wondered why anyone would pay $7 for a fish, when a virtually identical one from another tank was 27 cents. "Oh, no," she said. "They may look alike, but they are bred differently. These (the feeders) get to be 12 inches long while these (the $7 ones) only get to be six inches long." She was so nice that I nearly choked trying to keep from laughing. People have tried very hard to develop strains of "miniature" goldfish. It hasn't worked. But I found that the literature of this pet store did list two different sizes for goldfish, so she was repeating what the chain store "experts" had written. I think both sizes were right (and written by different people who didn't talk to one another), but the 6 inches was the standard length (without tail) and the 12 inches was the total length (including tail fin). For a mature comet with a nice long tail, 6 inches standard length can equal 12 inches total length.

Edited by shakaho

Oh I bet you were trying not to laugh. Stores will do anything too make a buck, that is what happened at a store near me. They sold me a comet saying it was a fantail, lol But he NEW what he was doing was wrong. Your right maybe I will just save some feeder fish. They need a chance.

One of my favorite goldies I currently own is named 30 cent!!  I picked him out of the feeder tank!! You'll NEVER guess what I paid for him!! :teehee

• Helper

Someone seriously said those things to the two of you!?

Never, ever underestimate the ignorance of most pet store employees. Just when you think you've hit the bottom of it...

Oh yes they said that to me, they did it twice, I had no room for a comet so I gave it to my Aunt for her pond. He's happy but I get attached and miss him. But I wanted to do what was right for him, he sold it as a fantail, it was a comet, grrrr. That is so cute, 30 cent!!!!  Perfect name, good on you for doing that. But those stores with say ANYTHING to make a buck. Pet smart no they are honest and one place I go to is, but this one guy does not tell the truth.