New 50 gallon tank setup

Hello

We have been undertaking the goldfish learning curve for a few months now and will be upgrading our tank soon.

We will be moving to an approximately 200L tank, with a few plants and goldfish.

I will be buying one second hand which comes with a stand, lighting etc. However they used to use an undergravel filter.

What filtration would you suggest for a tank of this size? And should it be via an undergravel filter, cannister, or combination of the two?

Shakaho showed me a video of a DIY moving bed filter, would this be suitable for both mechanical and biological filtering of a tank this size?

We want to ensure we are giving the goldfish the right environment but at the same time are not millionaires that can buy $500 filtration systems, so any DIY ideas or second hand recommendations would be awesome?

Look forward to your response's

Thanks

Tim

Furthermore : 

Cannister filters seem on the expensive side, unless we could pick one up second hand.

Internal filter's seem a bit less pricey. But will they be efficient enough for this sized tank?

This is one item I was considering - https://www.aco-aquariums.com.au/product/index/893

Another item is this U4... http://mentoneaquarium.com.au/product/internal-power-filter-fluval-u-for-sale-in-melbourne-australia/

however it only has a capacity of 1000l/h which would only be 5x my tanks volume?

And then there is this also : http://mentoneaquarium.com.au/product/canister-filter-1500lh-for-sale-in-melbourne-australia/

Any assistance would be great

Thanks

Don't use an undergravel filter. They only serve to trap waste with goldfish, and get clogged and nasty. I would suggest Sharon's moving bed filter, yes, or a HOB (hang on back) type filter.

You'll want 2000lph filtration with those.

Edited by ChelseaM

Here is an affordable canister filter option if you decide to not go second hand: Sun Sun HW304B only $90 for 525 GPH

They have other options for lower gph but it is by far the less expensive that I have found. I actually have two on my 75 gallon and they are fantastic! I've got crystal clear water and if the fish make a mess from digging it is clear again in less than an hour. The only downfall is that it doesn't have a warranty. I try to keep all the impellers clean and running smooth to prevent anything from breaking. 

I like the aquaclear filters, they improved it. You can look under classifieds in your area for filters. I agree with Chelsea undergravel filters make a mess and its hard to keep clean, all the stuff gets trapped in them.

I like Aquaclear 110s! I have 2 on my 90 gal tank & have never had a bit of trouble from them! (Actually I even have a spare stored as I don't have my 29 gal tank sit up right now!) They are easy to maintain & move alot of water & keep my tank sparkling clean!!!

Edited by Jeana727

• Helper

Here is an affordable canister filter option if you decide to not go second hand: Sun Sun HW304B only $90 for 525 GPH

They have other options for lower gph but it is by far the less expensive that I have found. I actually have two on my 75 gallon and they are fantastic! I've got crystal clear water and if the fish make a mess from digging it is clear again in less than an hour. The only downfall is that it doesn't have a warranty. I try to keep all the impellers clean and running smooth to prevent anything from breaking.

I have two of those SunSuns and they are fantastic. I really recommend buying them from American Aquarium Products, however, because they haven available additional and improved ball valves, fittings, and include extra media that don't come in the package from Amazon. They also purvey some of the finest aquaria articles being written today and using the store helps them pay for that. They are my absolutely favorite retailer and I discovered them when trying to decipher the Chinglish instructions that came with the SunSuns I boughr elsewhere :P Edited by Arctic Mama

• Helper

And if price is an issue, don't overlook the humble sponge filter. They're not the prettiest on earth, but if you're diligent about mechanical waste removal during water changes using a good quality sponge filter or matten wall is going to give you superb biological filtration, which is what I think Goldies need most after diligent, frequent, large water changes.

Here is an affordable canister filter option if you decide to not go second hand: Sun Sun HW304B only $90 for 525 GPH

I have two of those SunSuns and they are fantastic. I really recommend buying them from American Aquarium Products, however, because they haven available additional and improved ball valves, fittings, and include extra media that don't come in the package from Amazon. They also purvey some of the finest aquaria articles being written today and using the store helps them pay for that. They are my absolutely favorite retailer and I discovered them when trying to decipher the Chinglish instructions that came with the SunSuns I boughr elsewhere :P

:teehee I remember I had trouble with those terrible instructions. But, you can't beat the price and it comes with a free brain tickle!

I have two of the AquaTop CF400 canisters (which are the same as the SunSun's) on my 100 gallon tank. I love them. 

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF400UV-4-Stage-Canister-Filter/dp/B004GJ43EK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1430978842&sr=1-1&keywords=aquatop+canister+cf400

Edited by goldfishgirl82