Goldfish Quality/Cost?

So first off, I'm not sure where to put this topic, so maybe a moderator can re post it or move it onto another thread section.

So I am gaining interest into goldfish showing. And my cousinf has bought a lot of Ranchus. She breeds them but is still and amateur, I just want to know, what makes up the quality of a Ranchu and how much is their average cost for a well bred quality one, compared to other Ranchus. I know I will be missing some information since I may need to pay for it, but basics is all I require. I just want to make sure my cousin isn't getting ripped off. If you could supply me with Oranda information that would be great too :)

She buys locally and sometimes visits my area, she bought a large calico ranchu and a solid orange large ranchu for $260 for both. She also bought a $50 calico ranchu (medium sized) and a sick $40 ranchu thinking she could medicate it, it sadly ended up passing away. She's bought many more, but had a mass death of ranchus recently, due to improper care, I'm trying to help her, but I also want to see if she's getting what she pays for... I'm not even sure if their high quality ranchus... But then again I'm not sure about average price range.

Side view ranchus are generally valued by a smooth, curved back and a sharp tail tuck as well as the proper head and body proportions.  All fins should be paired and there should be adequate wen growth.  Good color and motion and balance are also important.

Top view ranchus are similarly judged, but the back is usually less curved and the tail splay from above is important.

Most that I've seen are around $100 or more.

First up, I would say that if she isn't an experienced keeper that has a basic understanding of fishkeeping (case in point: mass death) and little experience with fry, it will be a long road for her.

Second, if the first is true - then I wouldn't buy 260 dollar fish. I would start small, build up some knowledge and personal experiences before buying top flight expensive fish, that you have no idea if they are even worth that.

Personal fish-raising, like East Coast Ranchu does it, takes not only a lot of time - but also has a big fee just to get started. Not only do you need the fish, but you also need equipment, food, massive amounts of water, medication, ect.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I would recommend doing a few trial runs before going for the "pro" angle. Also getting knowledge about what makes a fish "show quality" or not, would be helpful before you start any attempts at breeding or selling fish.

Go to ECR's instagram page, where you will find a lot of helpful tips on fish raising ect. Cynthia is very good at it and often shares a few ideas or ways that she does different things. Very helpful indeed.

Now, I've had almost the same idea as you and your cousin, but without going for it. Just because I realized that I wouldn't be able to do it at this point in my "fish career" and that it would require a lot of things that I'm not able to do, have or execute - or that I have the information and knowledge required to do it. I applaud you for going for it, but also think that it is a bit premature to do if you haven't thought about the logistics, cost, quality, time and effort required.

Side view ranchus are generally valued by a smooth, curved back and a sharp tail tuck as well as the proper head and body proportions. All fins should be paired and there should be adequate wen growth. Good color and motion and balance are also important.

Top view ranchus are similarly judged, but the back is usually less curved and the tail splay from above is important.

Most that I've seen are around $100 or more.

Thank you for your reply, I'll ask, too see whether she has top view or side view ranchus...

First up, I would say that if she isn't an experienced keeper that has a basic understanding of fishkeeping (case in point: mass death) and little experience with fry, it will be a long road for her.

Second, if the first is true - then I wouldn't buy 260 dollar fish. I would start small, build up some knowledge and personal experiences before buying top flight expensive fish, that you have no idea if they are even worth that.

Personal fish-raising, like East Coast Ranchu does it, takes not only a lot of time - but also has a big fee just to get started. Not only do you need the fish, but you also need equipment, food, massive amounts of water, medication, ect.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I would recommend doing a few trial runs before going for the "pro" angle. Also getting knowledge about what makes a fish "show quality" or not, would be helpful before you start any attempts at breeding or selling fish.

Go to ECR's instagram page, where you will find a lot of helpful tips on fish raising ect. Cynthia is very good at it and often shares a few ideas or ways that she does different things. Very helpful indeed.

Now, I've had almost the same idea as you and your cousin, but without going for it. Just because I realized that I wouldn't be able to do it at this point in my "fish career" and that it would require a lot of things that I'm not able to do, have or execute - or that I have the information and knowledge required to do it. I applaud you for going for it, but also think that it is a bit premature to do if you haven't thought about the logistics, cost, quality, time and effort required.

Yeah, I agree, she had a pond filled with ranchus she just bought and acclimated them in. I asked her if she waited for her pond to cycle since she recently set it up... It wasn't cycled and most of them failed to live... I have her a strict conversation about cycling but I don't think she bothered to listen. I also "diagnosed," her fished for her that it had ich... Ended up, they both died too. I try to help her with all I can but its like she doesn't seem to care what I say. She just keeps buying more fish again and again!

Yes, I've heard and seen east coast ranchus stock and their just lovely! I need to recommend that to her, once she's got everything up to par!

Oh, it's just my cousin, she tries to breed her ranchus, I would like to get into it someday, but room/space is defeniatley a problem. As of right now, I am a halfmoon Betta breeder. I've been breeding bettas for 2-3 years. It's been a long journey and I just can't imagine breeding goldfish yet. I do think about "logistics, cost, quality, time and effort required," breeding bettas gave me a start to the fish breeding world. And I plan on continuing my lines of fish. But on the other hand it's my cousin... She, "goes with the flow," and doesn't seem to have a plan... Sigh. If you plan to breed. You MUST have a plan!!!!