Is there something wrong with my oranda's vent?

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api master
    • * Water temperature? 76F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gal 6 months (upgraded from 29 gal and added two small fish)
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? two Aqueon 75
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? once every week or two and I leave only enough water in the tank to cover the fish, so 90%?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days. 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Four. 1 oranda and 1 fantail each under 100g. (haven't weighed in a while) Two commons maybe 10g each (?)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime & Replenish
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and Mysis shrimp. Red leaf lettuce, hikari purple pellets and shrimp pellets (not as often - makes fantail floaty) repashy soilent green
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi pro about 1 month ago for suspected flukes. 2 rounds
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nothing out of the ordinary
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

Wow!  It's been a long time since I've been on here for help! (that's a good thing!)

Anyway, I can't figure out what is wrong with my oranda's vent.  It looks like something is sticking out of it and it's red.  I noticed it three days ago and have been keeping an eye on it.  It happened just after he/she ate some red leaf lettuce.  They eat it right down to the thick vein part of the leaf...which at first I wondered if it was a hard piece of lettuce coming out! Sounds crazy...but I can't figure out what it is!

He/she has been acting totally normal otherwise.

(note: those are not missing scales. they just didn't grow back shiny. It's been like that since he was tiny.)068_zpsh7cmllk0.jpg?t=1430747155

058_zpsfp6rccag.jpg?t=1430747279

042_zpsc3rkcltz.jpg?t=1430747397

040_zpsszatg54z.jpg?t=1430747524

I posted this one just for fun because the little guy looks horrified by what he sees! :rofl3

• Helper

Are her fins usually a little bloodshot or is that unusual? She looks a little irritated to my eye and the bloodshot fins plus the reddened, puffy vent concern me a bit. But some fish are a little bloodshot or a little pink naturally, and it doesn't necessarily mean it is something alarming.

And I agree, the photobombing is hilarious!

Are her fins usually a little bloodshot or is that unusual? She looks a little irritated to my eye and the bloodshot fins plus the reddened, puffy vent concern me a bit. But some fish are a little bloodshot or a little pink naturally, and it doesn't necessarily mean it is something alarming.

And I agree, the photobombing is hilarious!

Yes, the fins always show some streaking.  Everything about this fish is normal except for the vent.  I always thought it was a male fish and that my fantail was the female, because "he" aways chases her and has "his" head in her back end.  So, is he a she??

So I guess I'm to assume that this is normal and that this is just a female fish?  I swear that the vent completely changed overnight.  I always went by the fact that this fish constantly chases my female fantail around with what I assumed was spawning behavior.  I'm so confused.

Now today, I came home from work and noticed that "she" has two white bumps on the edge of her tail today. They weren't there yesterday.  Any idea what this could be? (I just did two rounds of Prazipro within the last month.) 

Here are two pictures.  The one shows a close up of the vent.  I just want to be sure that it is normal and I shouldn't be worried. (I'm still pretty ignorant when it comes to fish, but I'm learning)  I guess I'm just nervous because this wasn't how this fish looked 4 days ago or any time before that.  And now the two bumps have me worried.

004_zpsm9stjzzq.jpg

005_zpsnls2dzzy.jpg?t=1430845296

Well, today a red dot has appeared on "her" wen.  Not sure what it is or why, but the vent is back to normal.

Well, today a red dot has appeared on "her" wen.  Not sure what it is or why, but the vent is back to normal.

Observe and do nothing for now, but do update us.

See if you can get bifuran or furan-2 to keep on hand. :)