Prazi in tablet form question

Jim_D

Hey all :)

In Oz we're really pretty much stuck with praziquantel in tablet form.

When using tablets one gets an enormous amount of a snow like fallout from what I would say is the binder/filler for the praziquantel

in the tablets, I would hazard a guess that the praziquantel is not in any part of the snow fallout.

If I'm correct in the above assumption, is there a way to use the tablets in say a litre of water and let the snow fall out to the bottom

and then only use the clear litre of water? Could this end up under dosing the prazi?

The snow fallout isn't (from what I've noticed) bothersome nor dangerous for the fish. They don't mind vacuuming it up and spitting it out and probably

do swallow a bit, but when you have only a sponge filter in a QT it's a right PITA.

Thoughts?

The powdered form of pure Prazi that I use does that too. I think it is because it doesn't mix well into the water in general. I shake mine very well for a long time before adding too... 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

The powdered form of pure Prazi that I use does that too. I think it is because it doesn't mix well into the water in general. I shake mine very well for a long time too... 

That is interesting to know, I was thinking that it was only the tablet form that would cause this.

Out of interest, what's the name of the powdered form you buy?

No I don't think it would make it through our Customs/Border Security which is very strict (which is good for Oz), but makes it a little harder for us, especially being on a U.S centric goldfish forum and you have (what looks like) quite easy access to a whole range of aquarium drugs that we don't.

Hi Jim,

I have the same problem!  I was wondering if there was a way around it.  I use Blue Planet Fluke and Worm Prazi.  I'm so pleased you asked!  I am interested in the answer too!  I feel like my little QT tanks end up looking like a snow dome!

It's been my experience that the "snow" dissolves overtime and the lack of immediate dissolving doesn't lessen the effect of the treatment. My fish will try to eat it, but then spit it right out. I don't think it will harm a fish if they eat it.

There are other ways to help facilitate the prazi go into solution, from using a little bit of Castille soap to a little bit of vodka. I think those methods do work, but I also have found that as long as you shake well enough, it should eventually go into solution in the tank. Since we expect the prazi will be in the tank and working for a few days, this should be just fine.

The key is to make sure your tablets are ground into fine powders, but after that, it should be OK.

Vodka, that's something that I am familiar with :)

Castille soap - Never heard of that before?

Castille soap - Never heard of that before?

Soaps made from olive oil. I more commonly see it in health food stores, it's usually labelled as a vegan alternative.