Sign in to follow this  
Smurfishy

How to clean out pond after die out?

So after this bad bad winter I believe my pond completely filled with ice, all my guys were lost I wish to get a few large GF or one or two butterfly koi that I can bring in during the winter months. This is an above ground pond. I already drained it, filed it up with new water and drained it again. Should I use bleach... Should I scrub out all the old algea, should a remove the cinder blocks?

Sorry for your losses, that sounds tragic. sadhug.gifYou could invest in a floating-plug in heater so you can leave them outside without fear.  :idont

I agree with mystery girl that a heater might make your life a little easier than trying to bring them inside in the winter and acclimate them to a smaller and warmer body of water. I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Unless they died of something virulent, besides extreme cold, I'd not strip down the pond. But I'm as lazy of a fishkeeper as I'm allowed to be and still keep my animals healthy ;)

What I would do is a large water change

Since the losses were not from disease or parasites, the water changes are all you need.  

I was worried that their decomposition and foulness of the water could of caused bad bacteria? The water wasn't bad but there was a noticeable smell and a slight water cloudiness.

The  bacteria active in decomposition are free-living and do not turn into pathogens.  When you empty the tank and rinse it out you eliminate most of those bacteria and their food supply. If the water is still cloudy, just change the water again.

Please note that koi require 250 gallons per fish.  

I thought koi require 1000g but butterfly koi require 300?

I figured 2 small butterfly koi would be OK the first year or two though.

What will you do with them after two years?  It's sort of like keeping little goldfish in a ten gallon tank.  Yes, they are OK for a while.

I've never heard any koi people give a different stocking density for longfins.  The usual rule for pet fish is 250-300 gallons per fish with a minimum pond size of 1000 gallons.  The people who are raising koi for show go for 1000-2000 gallons per fish. 

My opinion is that you should have 1000 gallons to keep koi. Not because one fish needs 1000 gallons but because that is a fair amount of space for a big fish to turn around, swim, etc. You could have 3 koi in 1000 gallons and probably be OK. Most koi will not become 3 foot long monsters. I was under the impression that butterfly koi did not get quite as big and could be a reason why you heard they don't need as much water. I have not looked into what size they grow to though so I could be wrong.

Yes, butterfly koi are somewhat smaller than the "normal" ones.

Butterfly koi seem to lack some of the body size of regular koi, but the overall fish can run as long as 36 to 40 inches in the right pond with plenty of food. They are graceful and pleasant to watch swim.