Sign in to follow this  
King Poseidon

Horror in the pond: extrem tail-rot on koi

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Today, i've used for the first time propolis powder and done a 100% water change.

It was difficult. First, i tried to catch her in the aim to apply propolis.......she disagreed :D

So i've tried another thing: Water to the minimul level, i've accustomed her to my physical contact, even petted her as a dog or cat. Then, i've gently lifted her tail and sprinkled powder on her tail and on her anal fin (the two heavily damaged area).

Even if i had to act fast, i've managed to put the propolis at the right place.

Then, i've caught her with hands and transfered her in a bucket, that let me the possibility to perform a full water change.

Would you be able to catch her in another bucket if she's giving you difficulty?  I have one particular fish that I can touch no problem, but used to flail maniacally if lifted out of water.  I would catch him in another bucket, clean everything, then pour most of the water out of the bucket before putting him back into the tank.  It seemed to be the least stressful for him.  And I'd end up with only really a few hundred mL of water going back into the tank.

Update:

2 weeks since Laverda has been transfered in a new quarantine tank, bigger, better, with a fully cycled external filter (no more ammnonia nor nitrite issues).

The day of the transfer, she has injured her left gill cover, bumping in her former filter (in tank).

I was very disappointed, her skin was widely scrapped.

So, i've immediately  treated her tail and gill cover with propolis powder: that's a complete success, the gill cover is healing without any infection and the tail is growing back !!!

I don't think the tail will fully grow back but the new living tissus growing right now on the upper part is not simple healing tissus but fully functionnal finray and fin flesh.

Will try to take pics of this.

Edited by King Poseidon

I'd love to see pics of the healing process.  :D

Fresch pics!

mini_703042IMG2062.jpg

A comparativ pic: The day she has been "abducted" from her pond VS Today.

mini_284964Progres.jpg

I'm glad she is healing.  Keep us updated!

Glad to hear she is doing better!!!!

Update: Laverda returned today in her pond!

Her tail has grown back. It has not the perfect shape but is functionnal and healthy.

I tried to take pics but has it is now a very healthy and activ fish, i can't obtain other things than blurr pictures.

All other  wounds, injured fins etc...have 100% healed. For example, the destroyed anal fins you can see on pics is now 100% mint condition.

Her swim bladder disorder has also disappeared, so she now swims in a normal way.

Laverda seemed to enjoy the quarantine tank but as all is OK now, she had to come back in her pond-world.

The lesson to learn from this story: Even if finrot has reached peduncle, a fish CAN heal and can be saved.

Edited by King Poseidon

That's great news! I'd love to see pictures if you can manage to get them, she was in sorry shape previously :)

Happy to hear she had a happy outcome!