Please urgent help, need metronidazole or erythromycin (Maracyn) in OZ?

Ree

Hi everyone,

I have a sick fish with a probable bacterial infection.  Fantailfan1 has recommended some antibiotics to be administered, but I am unsure where to buy them in Australia.  I am in a remote area, and even mail deliveries take 4 days.  Can anyone tell me where to find metronidazole or erythromycin (Maracyn) online in Australia?

Thanks so much guys!

fantailfan1, on 03 May 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:snapback.png

Go ahead and start the kanaplex.  I'd like to use something else along with that to get broader coverage.  Are you able to get either metronidazole or erythromycin (Maracyn)?  :idont  You can remove the salt and leave the prazi.

• Supporter

Ree has communicated with me via PM, i have offered a solution for Metronidazole, but Erythromycin is not available in AU as far as i know. can it be substituted with Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride? if it can, then it can be purchased online as Oxymav-B as a treatment for poultry which we can use to treat goldfish also, from vet-n-pet direct.

i am unsure about the maracyn, my last attempt to check it's availability in AU was unsuccessful.

I've not used oxytetracycline but it does cover Gram- bacteria while metro covers Gram + bacteria so those 2 together should give broad spectrum coverage.  :D

EDIT:  Helen, she already has kanaplex which is giving her Gram negative coverage so she doesn't need the oxytetracyline, just the metro.  :nana  It was "you need metro OR erythromycin" not both. 

Edited by fantailfan1
Added info