Decor Ideas...?

Black

Hi guys, I'm getting pretty bored. Not with Googs and his friends (just to clarify!) but bored with the tank itself :(

After yesterday's WC, I emptied it and took off the background and this is what it looks like now:

bb2bb92b3777b29fe78716efe8664442_zpstfmp

Restrictions/needs:

- Googs is a sinker, and there's not much floor space so I can't have much on the bottom. He also gets stuck very easily!

- my little fish need some enrichment in the upper area of the tank

- I can't have live plants (I have an algae type that eats them)

Does anyone have any ideas? I feel like I'm all out of inspiration

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helper

Maybe you could get some fake plants and (forgive me if there is no way this will work, it just popped into my head), pull the stems out of the base and put them in suction caps and attach to the sides of the tank around the upper/mid level? Like bigger versions of betta beds?

That's a good idea! A lot of my fake plants are coming apart anyway and this would be a great way to recycle them! Thank you :)

I really liked the air bar on the side, as in photo 1 with the terrestrial plant growing down the outside back of the tank.  That, plus the upper-level fake plants might look nice.  

I liked the plant on the outside too, but I have to keep it growing up high now because of the bunnies :rolleyes: I've heard Pothos is poisonous.

I'm definitely thinking about moss balls as I think they'll survive in my water and will be soft if Googs bumps into them :) and I might copy Georgia and have a black background

I think duckweed would add an extra element, Charlie. It'll be small enough to fit in the canopy/water line gap and should look quite interesting once it throws some roots down. :)

If you can get it in the UK, azolla pinnata is even more interesting. It looks kind of like a floating fern, covers like duckweed and is a bit wider. It turns a vivid red under too much light.

4651715599_0322a1a5c1_b.jpg

Edited by dan in aus

• Supporter

Moss balls would be cool. Maybe add a small dish with glass beeds. I'm thinking some kind of zen thing going on. Can you do bamboo that comes out of the water?

Just a thought.

Good idea about the moss balls.

Your last two tank pics are my favorite.

Good luck.

Thank you Hyde :)

Dan, I like that idea :) Would the duckweed etc survive in my tank considering the black beard algae problem?

Thank you Dawn, I hope you are well too! I will move the air stone to the side again then :) Susanne like it too

Daniel, I love seeing tanks with bamboo but I've got a really awkward tank lid :( I could barely fit the recent heater I bought, I had to unscrew parts of the lid! Really like the Zen idea :)

Loving all these suggestions :D Have just ordered a new black background and 3 little moss balls.

I've looked up duckweed, and the problem is that my water outlet runs the length of my tank and I have a feeling it would get messy. I could probably do the idea of using tubing as a barrier but I think it would get fiddly.

Azolla seems tricky to find so I'm now looking water lettuce!

Susanne, did you say once that you had the same water issues as me when it came to bad algae destroying live plants? Have you successfully kept water lettuce before?

Exactly, Charlie, sooner rather than later the algae will destroy whatever I stick in the tank BUT my son has duckweed in his tropical tank without problems so I thought water lettuce might work with the goldies.

hehe  That was cute what you said above to Daniel. :)  Always thinking frogs.  haha

I like the idea of using moss balls also.  They'd be soft when Googs bumps into them, liked mentioned above.  Charlie, however you design Googs tank we all know it's from a special loving care you have for your special fish.  :heart  It's going to look wonderful however you have it.

Charlie, the only thing that might be attacked by algae would be the roots, but considering floating plants tend to be rapid growers, there should be a continual turn over of you removing excess plants every few weeks. The water lettuce is nice, but might prove too big. They can get quite large.

hehe  That was cute what you said above to Daniel. :)  Always thinking frogs.  haha

I like the idea of using moss balls also.  They'd be soft when Googs bumps into them, liked mentioned above.  Charlie, however you design Googs tank we all know it's from a special loving care you have for your special fish.  :heart  It's going to look wonderful however you have it.

Thank you! What a lovely thing to say :hug:heart

Charlie, the only thing that might be attacked by algae would be the roots, but considering floating plants tend to be rapid growers, there should be a continual turn over of you removing excess plants every few weeks. The water lettuce is nice, but might prove too big. They can get quite large.

Could I trim the roots if they get too long?

Could I trim the roots if they get too long?

Of course, although on smaller plants like duckweed, it would be easier to throw portions out. I did some digging (well, a Google search) and azolla was banned in the UK last year. Apparently it was getting out of ponds and ruining native waterways.

I did the vinegar test and there were some tiny tiny bubbles when I poured some vinegar on the bottom.

It did the same with water so I'm thinking the rock is porous, rather than it fizzing in a reaction.

Are porous rocks safe?