Neon tetra disease?

Hi,

I needs me some help please, pretty please!   Im not sure if I am dealing with neon tetra disease.

I have filled out the form as much as I can tonight, I will get the tank parameter levels tomorrow when I do the water change.  I cant upload a video, but here are some pictures.  They are not good quality, but the best I could get, they move too fast!

This is the only other new thing I have added in the last three days

http://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/exo-terra-moss-ball-clarity-and-odour-control.html

• Test Results for the Following: Sorry cant get these for you till tomorrow morning, but have added in what I can for the moment.
    • * Ammonia Level (tank):
    • * Nitrite Level (tank)
    • * Nitrate level (Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
    • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
    • * Nitrate level (Tap)
    • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Townwater: This usually sits between 8.0 and 8.4 gh170, kh125, use prime and don't have test kit for chloramines.
    • Our rainwater: usually sits below ph6, gh10 and kh30
    •  

• Tank information:
      • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API freshwater master test kit
      • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH) Its an internal powerhead? 1500Lph with overhead sump
      • * Additives and conditioners: prime
      • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): heater, 27 degrees celcius
      • * Last water change date: 80% change 26 April
      • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 100L or around 25gal?
      • * Fish in the tank (species and number): 16 neon tetras, 2 male guppies, 4 female guppies (gravid), 2 BN plecos 1inch each aprox
      • *What is your water change schedule? Like how much and how often? 60-80% once a week minimum, keep the ammonia at less than 0.2ppm (tank is just getting over a cycling bump)

• * Any new fish added into the tank:  they are all new fish.  Ive had them just under two weeks.  They came from two separate petshops.  There were also 8 sailfin mollies and 3 bumble bee gobies in the tank, but they have been rehomed before last water change
  • -If Yes: Were they quarantined?  No QT.  Was going to treat whole tank as QT
  • -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added):
  • * List prior health issues in tank: Unknowingly overstocked, which has now been reduced.
  • * Medications previously added to the tank: None
  • * Medications on hand: Aquarium salt, Blue planet fluke and tapeworm tablets, wardleys promethyasul, kanaplex, blue planet trisulfide tablets.

Affected fish information:

• * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: Aqua one tropical flakes, about the size of my little finger nail crushed to small pieces and sprinkled on top of tank water twice a day, one Aquaone Vege wafer twice a day,  Zuchinni twice a week for BN plecos
  • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc:  Tetras nipping each other like they are fighting tail to nose spining, no bottom sitting, not exactly schooling properly, they seem to all still be eating.
  • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: some tetras tummys are swollen and lumpy on both boys and girls, their red is fading, fins jagged and torn.  One BN pleco I noticed tonight has an ich spot.  Guppies are all fine.
  • * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: in main tank, don't have a spare heater to separate from main tank.
  • * Current medications being used on affected fish: Tank has been at 27 degrees celcius for 36 hours.  Tomorrow will do water change, add rainwater instead of town water (lower ph) plan tomorrow to start adding salt and slowly bringing the salt up to 0.3% over 4-6 days, starting prazi tomorrow.
  • * Previous medications used to treat affected fish: none
  • * If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken:) overstocking issue, resolved over a week ago before last water change.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Colour fade & fins ragged

P1050581%202_zpsvno23jzx.jpg

lumpy tummy

P1050594%202_zpsy9q2b35f.jpg

lumpy tummy

P1050592%202_zpsddazvyeh.jpg

fins & colour fade

P1050589%202_zpszhuoy8rw.jpg

Edited by Ree

• Admin

Okay hun... First thing I saw about your new iteam

Treats 30-60 liter (10-20 gal) terrariums

So its not for Aquatic fish hun.... Get it out :o

Okay when was the last time you cleaned the internal filter ?

Okay hun... First thing I saw about your new iteam

Treats 30-60 liter (10-20 gal) terrariums

So its not for Aquatic fish hun.... Get it out :o

Okay when was the last time you cleaned the internal filter ?

OH MY... Quick, gotta run!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..  Its out now.... :whistle

I clean to top layer, the filter floss every week when I clean the tanks, The fine floss layers underneath get cleaned alternately one every week (there are 4) and the layer under that is scoria gravel in a stocking (that was all I had at the time for biomedia) and that doesn't get cleaned.

this is the scoria gravel

http://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/pisces-scoria-gravel.html

there is also about a cups worth of it on the tank floor, the rest of the tank is bare other than ornaments/silicon plants.

I should add the filter floss is cleaned by rinsing it in old tank water before the water is chucked on the garden.

Edited by Ree

• Admin

Ok hun... Well now that we got that nasty out of there.. Lets do a 50% water change now.... then do another one the next day :)

Just to get all that stuff out of there from that ball...

I would also do a gentle rinse on that internal filter ....

Ok hun... Well now that we got that nasty out of there.. Lets do a 50% water change now.... then do another one the next day :)

Ok, so rinse all of the internal filter items?  even the stocking and gravel?  Is that to remove any of the chemicals from the 'nasty ball of death'?

• Admin

Ok, so rinse all of the internal filter items?  even the stocking and gravel?  Is that to remove any of the chemicals from the 'nasty ball of death'?

Yup Do the filter after the first water change hun....you said you got a sump on there too right?

Yup Do the filter after the first water change hun....you said you got a sump on there too right?

Um, there is one sump filter on the tank above the pump.  That's what I meant.  Sorry, it wasn't very clear was it.  That is the only filter on the tank.  This is the tank, and it shows pictures of the powerhead and filter setup.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111600251839?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do you think I need another one too?  I can make one out of a shampoo bottle and some scoria gravel for bio filtering.  I made one before and it worked really well for the biofiltration.  That way I would be using the overhead sump filter for mechanical filtration only, and the other for biofiltration.

Edited by Ree

One thing I've noticed with neons is they tend to pale when first bought. I have some in a nano and while they were very vibrant in store, they lost much of their red when I brought them home. It took them a few weeks to colour back up, even longer to stop hiding. They're quirky little things.

One thing I've noticed with neons is they tend to pale when first bought. I have some in a nano and while they were very vibrant in store, they lost much of their red when I brought them home. It took them a few weeks to colour back up, even longer to stop hiding. They're quirky little things.

Dan, I know what you mean! 

I noticed mine took about a day to colour up after I got them home, but they settled in pretty quick.  Then I put some sailfin mollies in a couple of days later, they harassed the tetras really badly and they lost their colour again, but when the sailfins were removed, a couple of hours later they were bright again.  The last times it was all their colour fading.  This time it was really only the red.  They have coloured up a little again since I have taken the 'ball of death' out.  :oops:

Hi Koko,

60% water change done today, Neon tetras seem to be brightening up a little.  I haven't added the salt or the prazi.  Ill add them after the water change tomorrow.  Thanks so much for your help Koko!  :tou

P1050597%202_zpsbuuolzrr.jpg

P1050609%202_zpsg7ipi9ov.jpg

Well looky at that they have color again :teehee:goodjob

Thankyou so much Koko!  I appreciate your help sooooooooooo much!

I was having a real panic about it!  Ill just have to check my hubby wasn't up painting them in the night so I would calm down this morning!