Acrylic + nail polish remover

I finally got to sanitizing my acrylic 55 gallon today, soaked it with some warm water and bleach and seemed ok. However on the bottom there was some sort of heavy duty double sided tape that didn't loosen with any amount of hot water or scraping. I barely peeled off an inch with everything I tried. It just stayed stuck, sort of smeared around like glue when I went after it with a rough sponge. I asked my dad if he could try and figure it out and he decided to use some nail polish remover to try and dissolve it (non acetone, it's ethyl acetate and ethyl alcohol) which got the gunk off. But now I'm worried about there being remover residue in the tank. I barely touched the bottle and my hands stink of it and my skin stings, even after four washes with soap and water and a shower. There's enough left that accidentally touching my face makes it sting or picking up a cracker makes it taste like chemicals. My dad said he rinsed it out but I'm still concerned, especially since the top doesn't fully come off so it's difficult to fully dump anything inside it without at least a bit being caught under the rim. And then looking at the remover bottle it says it can damage plastics. There was no obvious cracking or melting but is there a risk of the acrylic leaching something into the water if I fill it? It's brand new, I don't want to lose the money I spent on it but I'm petrified of moving my fish in and there being traces of some nasty thing that kills them

I would say that if you've rinsed it out thoroughly, and you no longer smell that smell in the tank, then set it up. :idont  If you're concerned that there may be a damage issue, fill it up outside for a few days, and see how it does.  

Did the seller say why he put tape down?  That would worry me far more than anything else... 

I hope your new tank will be okay. :)

That was my initial thought as well...............why was the tape there?? A sorry attempt to "fix" a leak :yikes ..... or maybe it was just accidently placed on some tape that was left out :thumbup2: .   Hopefully the 2nd!!

No I don't know why it was there... Not covering any cracks or anything when we peeled it off. Maybe it was some kind of manufacturing label? When it was shipped to us there was nothing there but there could have been at some point. We ordered it from amazon who got it from a third party seller so it was probably some part of that process.