Keeping Tanks Cool in Hot Weather

I'm having some issues keeping my tank temps down. Generally if the temps outside stay around 75 ish or below I'm okay, but the last few days we've had weather in the 80s. Typically I just turn on the air conditioning to help this problem, but the electric prices have gone up to where I don't want to let it run constantly. I've set it at 78F. That means it's still relatively hot in my apartment. My goldfish tanks are sitting at around 80F. What are some good ways to help keep the temps from getting too hot and maybe even bring them down more. I am leaving the tops open during the day when I'm around to monitor things. I was thinking about getting some clip on fans to blow air above them as well. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Ice packs don't work very well because they melt in about five minutes and then take a lot of time to re-freeze, and our freezer is very small. My boyfriend is thinking about making some kind of home-made chiller implementing the same concept as a home-made air conditioner with the tubing and ice in a cooler... but until then....

Those temps for us here in Australia are so mild we wouldn't worry about it.

80 *is* cool !

I wouldn't be worrying about going to the trouble of making a chiller or the expense of running one.

The majority of our goldfish that are imported into the U.S and Australia come from Asian countries that get

daytime highs of anywhere up to 114+ and the nights ain't much better!

I know other will most likely disagree......but I personally wouldn't worry about those temps that you mentioned

and I wouldn't be worrying about fans, ice blocks or the hassles of chillers.

You don't need a chiller. Just position a fan that can blow over the tank's surface, or run aeration. I wouldn't use the clip-on fans, since they aren't made to use directly over water. Just stick some sort of tall fan near the tank.

Okay, thanks for the input Jim and Chelsea. I have a power head in each tank that agitates the surface and adds some aeration as well. It seems to circulate the water pretty well. I'll see about getting a tall fan for the living room since our ceiling fan doesn't seem to circulate any air near that tank. 

Also, I am kind of glad to be able to tell Andy not to bother with the chiller. It seemed like an awful lot of trouble and mess for not much gain. I think he just doesn't want to have the air conditioner running.  :teehee

• Helper

Generally I don't do anything to cool my goldie tank, and as Jim said, it gets quite hot in Summer. If anything i just don't turn the light on.

When I had my axolotls though I needed to keep their tank cool, and I found that positioning a fan to blow across the surface worked best

I have two T8, basic florescent lights on the tank that stay on for 8 hrs a day. They are on for the plants. I am considering switching to LED lighting once I have enough money. 

You will love LED lighting when you eventually get some (and there's some really nice cheap units available on ebay). It's one of the best things to come to the world of fish keeping for a long time!

So much better than running 1200watts of metal halide over a reef tank, that's when you really need a chiller.

I've been through every type of lighting there is. From incandescent in the 60's, flouros in the 70's all the different types of 'new revolutionary' fluoros in the 80's that promised everything but where only expensive gimmicks to rigged up overdriven flouros , compact 150watt flouros and T5's, lots of different expensive European metal halide lamps in the 90's and 2000 that really delivered coral and plant growth....but are now being superseded for the most part by LED lighting.

I have two T8, basic florescent lights on the tank that stay on for 8 hrs a day. They are on for the plants. I am considering switching to LED lighting once I have enough money.

Cool. You could consider running them for less time or using only 1 bulb.

Cool. You could consider running them for less time or using only 1 bulb.

Well it's one bulb on each side and one plant on each side. Long tank.  :teehee  I'm thinking it won't be much longer though. Petmountain had a ridiculous sale on lighting recently and if it pops up again I'm not going to pass it up like I did last time. Maybe I'll cut the time down a little. It's Anubius... I would imagine they don't need as much lighting as other plants  :idont

Goldfish that are exceptionally sensitive to heat may have trouble with water temperatures above 90F.   No goldfish has problems with water temperatures of 80F.