Weird elongated things on fry 'chin'

I'm not sure if I should have put this in d&d or just in general goldfish discussion but I'm concerned about all the weird things these fry seem to be getting.  I don't think this one is genetic since I haven't noticed it before and the long things are quite obvious now.  I've attached a pic and will see if I can get a clearer photo or video later.  Just wondering if anyone knows what this could be and if it is something I need to be concerned about.  All the fry are acting well...Neapolitan does have two splits in his tail in the exact same spot (top and bottom) so I'm not sure if he injured it or maybe flukes still?  The other little fry that was bottom sitting hasn't done it since and is looking well.  This fry has been having no problems whatsoever.

Here is the photo...any ideas what these two things are under his chin...they are creeping me out:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_3602_zpsk0ereh3l.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts.

Those look like barbels. Are the crossed with koi, by chance?

Like this:

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Pond.%2024.jpg

Nope...no koi here.  You are right that they are very symmetrical in placement and size.  They seem to have white pimply type things on the end of them.  

alien_antenna_bop_hw.gif

Now that is one adorable alien :).

Another of my more possible concerns :)  is that it might be those snail flukes that my three indoor fry had...and they have encapsulated skin around them.  Are they called trematodes?  Can people catch those...maybe only if you ate the fish?  I'm telling you...it's really creeping me out. 

• Helper

You mean these suckers?

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/contents/09-04-07Fish2.gif

Grooooooss! I hope they're mutant barbels or alien antennae instead.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Those aren't barbels, that's for sure. Barbels are on the top lip at the edge, not underneath the mouth.

Is there a way you could catch one and take a closer look, maybe some up-close photos?

Edited by ChelseaM

You mean these suckers?

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/contents/09-04-07Fish2.gif

Grooooooss! I hope they're mutant barbels or alien antennae instead.

I agree!

Those aren't barbels, that's for sure. Barbels are on the top lip at the edge, not underneath the mouth.

Is there a way you could catch one and take a closer look, maybe some up-close photos?

He is a tough one to catch...very fast.  I can see if I can get my husband to help me get him to put him in a tank and look closer.  I hate to bring him inside since he isn't acting unwell and I just got the two tanks out of my kitchen :).  I'm thinking I'll go to the pond store this weekend and pick up some pond prazi...it's expensive to use the liquid on the big ponds.  I think I should do at least 2 consecutive rounds this time (they have had a few single rounds separated by a few weeks/month). 

The person at the pond store said that the powder prazi for ponds does not dissolve in water and to use vodka to dissolve it before putting it in the pond.  Does this sound right?  Her koi look great so she must know what she's talking about...I just hadn't heard of that before.

I found some liquid prazipro I had left over so I dosed the fry pond this morning...just in case.  I'm going to do another dose in 3 days.  Good to know that it is possible to dissolve the powdered prazi in water.

So I found another large fry with only one of those elongated things on it's chin.  Now I'm thinking it has to be a genetic mutation since why would two fry have the same things in the same position if it was a parasite of some sort causing those things.  So weird.

Does it appear to affect their jaw movements at a all? :hmm

No...they seem like healthy, normal fish except for those weird things.  They eat the progold pellets at regular size without a problem.  Here is another pic...the fish is in the top center of the photo...if you can zoom in you can see them clearer.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/fishwaddles_zpsruzxvwap.jpg

I'm not sure what they are. But whatever you do don't google image "fish mouth parasite".

I agree :).  Did you see anything that resembled this?  I think they might have a black dot at the end of them...coloration or?

• Supporter

I could not. Its odd could be a mutation maybe a new trait like when the double tail was made or the telescope eyes but its unlikely. I want to lean towards a parasite but with them only being of the chin and no swelling and/or discoloration it hard to say that. A closer magnified pic would be ideal if you could. Maybe hold one and take a close clear detailed shot.

I could not. Its odd could be a mutation maybe a new trait like when the double tail was made or the telescope eyes but its unlikely. I want to lean towards a parasite but with them only being of the chin and no swelling and/or discoloration it hard to say that. A closer magnified pic would be ideal if you could. Maybe hold one and take a close clear detailed shot.

It's just weird that the two fish with them are bigger and not acting unhealthy at all.  Maybe it is a symbiotic relationship with some parasite...where neither harms the other?  Just hoping :).  Plus with all the info on the internet you would think someone would have a picture of this or see a description somewhere of a parasite that only attacks under the chin :).  I honestly don't think I'll be able to catch him...he's very speedy! 

Tomorrow is dose 2 of prazi.  I wonder if there are parasites that need salt to be removed and aren't removed with prazi? Do people salt ponds?

• Helper

*ahem*. I'm still thinking some mutated barbels or a similar feature. They're just so oddly symmetrical and fleshy. And showing up on someone else in the same brood?

Or - aliens.

:P

Edited by Arctic Mama

*ahem*. I'm still thinking some mutated barbels or a similar feature. They're just so oddly symmetrical and fleshy. And showing up on someone else in the same brood?

Or - aliens.

:P

I hope you are right. About the mutation that is...not the alien :).

Fry #3 now is seen having these same things in the same spot.  I believe I must have produced a new type of goldfish :).  Since they look like wattles on a goat...I'm going to call them my 'goat goldfish'.  If anyone has any thoughts on what other than prazi I can try treating them with (although they aren't acting unwell at all) or what they could be...let me know.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/wattles_zps2saw4tns.png