Freckles or something sinister?

Ree

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helper

Those are great pictures of poor Podge. Did you check in the section of the grocery store that has bandages, Vaseline, nasal spray, cotton balls, etc? Epsom salts, or magnesium salts as they're sometimes labeled, are dirt cheap and often used for aching muscle and wound soaks. They frequently have them in the bath and body section as well as pharmacy, though you have to be careful they have no added dyes or fragrances. That salt will help his bloating/dropsy a little and give him some more time and more comfort while the antibiotics work.

Where are you in your prazi round?  Which day?

I think your tank temp without a heater is fine.

Day three of the first round is just about up. 

Those are great pictures of poor Podge. Did you check in the section of the grocery store that has bandages, Vaseline, nasal spray, cotton balls, etc? Epsom salts, or magnesium salts as they're sometimes labeled, are dirt cheap and often used for aching muscle and wound soaks. They frequently have them in the bath and body section as well as pharmacy, though you have to be careful they have no added dyes or fragrances. That salt will help his bloating/dropsy a little and give him some more time and more comfort while the antibiotics work.

Thank you so much for explaining that Arctic Mama!  Ill have a look for them when I go out this morning.  I want to give him the best chance I can.

Does anyone know what I am dealing with here?  I would love to know so I can do some research and see what it is and how it works.  That way I might be able to pick it up sooner if it happens again.

I have the metronidazole and the oxytertracycline hydrochloride now, and the Epsom salts.  I have not added the Epsom salts as the antibiotics were waiting for me when I got home from the shop.  Ive only just walked in the door.  Can you please outline the treatment plan you want me to follow including the Epsom, prazi, metro, kanaplex, oxytertracycline?   Thanks so much! 

His tank is sitting at around 22 degrees now.  The ph varies every day (due to daily 100% changes) from 8.1 to 8.4.  I have to do daily water changes as his tank is only about 15L or so.  Ill do some quick math on the exact volume of water.  I have been using the figure of 4gal.

I have the metronidazole and the oxytertracycline hydrochloride now, and the Epsom salts.  I have not added the Epsom salts as the antibiotics were waiting for me when I got home from the shop.  Ive only just walked in the door.  Can you please outline the treatment plan you want me to follow including the Epsom, prazi, metro, kanaplex, oxytertracycline?   Thanks so much! 

His tank is sitting at around 22 degrees now.  The ph varies every day (due to daily 100% changes) from 8.1 to 8.4.  I have to do daily water changes as his tank is only about 15L or so.  Ill do some quick math on the exact volume of water.  I have been using the figure of 4gal.

Hello, I can help, but I really think we want a bigger tank than that. Is it possible to get something like a 30L plastic tub of some sort?

Also, what are the forms and concentrations of the meds?

Thanks.

I cant get one today :-(  I might be able to have a look and see what I can scavange out of the garage storage, but I don't know what chemicals have been in it... and I have nowhere to put it.  It would have to go on the floor.  Would it mean I don't have to do water changes every day?  How often would I need to do water changes?  Being on the floor might make water changes tricky.... let me see what I can do.  My hubby is asleep at the moment.  He isn't well.  As soon as he wakes up ill ask him to help me find something.  Ill give it a really good wash out, and we will see where I can put it.   I am gabbling a lot today, sorry.  Im just worried...

Ill be back in a tick to let you know if there is anything I can use.

I cant get one today :-(  I might be able to have a look and see what I can scavange out of the garage storage, but I don't know what chemicals have been in it... and I have nowhere to put it.  It would have to go on the floor.  Would it mean I don't have to do water changes every day?  How often would I need to do water changes?  Being on the floor might make water changes tricky.... let me see what I can do.  My hubby is asleep at the moment.  He isn't well.  As soon as he wakes up ill ask him to help me find something.  Ill give it a really good wash out, and we will see where I can put it.   I am gabbling a lot today, sorry.  Im just worried...

Ill be back in a tick to let you know if there is anything I can use.

I think that even with a bigger container, daily water changes are still a must. the 15L is too small, and with that, you really would want to change twice a day, and that's a lot of tedious work. The container can be just any sort of bin you can buy at the stores.

Can you tell me the concentrations of the meds? That way, I can get some calculations done, before we get to the containers... :)

Hang in there.

ok,

The markings on the metronidazole are MZ 200. 

The kanaplex is kanamycin sulphate 32%. The kanaplex I have been using one level measure for his tank.

The oxytetracycline is OxymavB 10g/kg oxyteracycine hydrochloride.

The Epsom is Epsom salts? I think that fantailfan1 gave me the instructions for it; 1 tsp per 5 gallons.  But do I use it with the others too?

Ill just check on the tank situation.

His current tank holds 16.6L or 4.4gal.  I could stretch it to 18.6 or 4.9gal by filling it to just a cm from the top.   But I have to keep a lid on it.  I have a little cat too who might get interested otherwise.  Also he is moulting at the moment, so pOdges water would end up with fur in it.

The only other plastic storage container I have is 45L or 11.8gal.  I used it to store tents and camping stuff and it has no lid. It has also had a good dose of surface spray in it.    I don't know if that will wash out as it is scratched on the inside.  I don't know that it would be as hygienic as his current tank.  Also I don't have a filter big enough for the 45L.  My QT filter only goes up to 20L I think.  It would take me a good 24hours or so to sterilize and wash it out, if that could be done.

Also, I only have a limited supply of the kanaplex. 

I would not be able to go to town to get another container until Sunday. 

How long have you been using the kanaplex?

For now, let's use the metronidazole at 200 mg/10 gallons (or 200 mg/40L). One tablet is 200 mg.

The dosage of the Epsom is fine.

How long have you been using the kanaplex?

For now, let's use the metronidazole at 200 mg/10 gallons (or 200 mg/40L). One tablet is 200 mg.

The dosage of the Epsom is fine.

For three days now.  Tonight will be their 4th dose.

Let's hold off on replacing the kanaplex tonight. Once you have decided on the tank situation, you can add the metro, kana, and epsom together to start a new treatment cycle.

• Helper

Ree - the 11 gallon container is a much better idea. A little more stable, more room to float, and it's not going to take significantly more medication to treat as most is aimed at 10 gallon volumes, anyway. If you can rinse it out well you should be just fine. Plenty of water does wonders for diluting substances like sprays and treatments. I just spent three hours bleaching and boiling my tank gear and even with strong bleach it's all been rinsed enough to leave no residue.

Scrubbing, soaking, and rinsing should make that a perfectly suitable container and then you don't have to run around trying to find another.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Ree - the 11 gallon container is a much better idea. A little more stable, more room to float, and it's not going to take significantly more medication to treat as most is aimed at 10 gallon volumes, anyway. If you can rinse it out well you should be just fine. Plenty of water does wonders for diluting substances like sprays and treatments. I just spent three hours bleaching and boiling my tank gear and even with strong bleach it's all been rinsed enough to leave no residue.

Scrubbing, soaking, and rinsing should make that a perfectly suitable container and then you don't have to run around trying to find another.

I've decided to give the 11 gal a go and just fill it to 10 gal for ease of dosing.  I've given it a good scrub, and it is soaking with bleach overnight.  Is this too long? 

We ran out of hot water, so I want to give it another go with detergent again in the morning with hot water after the bleaching, then I will soak it in primed water, and put it out in the sun. 

I am really concerned about the surface spray though.  :undecided:  It is a household insecticide that lasts outside in the weather for a minimum of 3 months.  I am not confident I can be sure it is eliminated.  :no:  I know I certainly wouldn't be eating off it!  But that might just be my OCD talking... tell me if I am wrong   :please

Let's hold off on replacing the kanaplex tonight. Once you have decided on the tank situation, you can add the metro, kana, and epsom together to start a new treatment cycle.

Hi dnalex.  Thankyou for your help. 

My wonderfull hubby is agreeing to help setting up the 11 gal for me.  We are cleaning it tonight, and tomorrow and maybe be able to add pOdge tomorrow night. 

I have had troubles with Louie tonight too though.  She is swimming lopsidedly.  I only noticed when the filter was off and there was no current in the tank.  Ill check on her tomorrow again to see if there is an issue.  She was in with pOdge, and I separated them about two days ago.  I have been treating her with the kanaplex as well as she has been exposed to the same illness as pOdge, and I had already started a round of kanaplex when they were in together.

This is the first symptom I have noticed in her, and it is much more pronounced than it is in pOdge.  I would not be able to see the spots though as she is a black moor.  So far she has no pine coning, and no sores or marks on her.  She is eating, and buzzing around the tank just the same.

Any thoughts?  Should I put her back in with pOdge and treat them together?  I took her out mainly because they were nipping each others fins quite a bit, and I didn't want them to hurt each other seeing as there was already an infection under way.  And I thought it would stress pOdge less.

• Helper

I wouldn't worry about the overnight bleach soak. Rinse it thoroughly, run eater with dechlorinated through it, and if it doesn't smell like bleach anymore you should be good. If all else fails let it dry very. Very well, as the remaining chlorine will off gas over a few days. But I doubt it is an issue. Really.

I'm still in the process of rinsing and priming the container, sorry, its taking longer than I thought it would :doh11: .  pOdge looks a little more active this morning, but otherwise about the same.  Louie is about the same too. 

Is it possible to upload videos onto photobucket?  I don't have a youtube account, and we are on satellite internet.  It drops out every 1-5 min and you have to keep reconnecting :thumbdown . 

Edited by Ree

Keep them separate.  Can you get a video of the lopsided swimming?

Ok, ill keep them in separate QT tanks.  Thanks fantailfan1.

I'm still in the process of rinsing and priming the container, sorry, its taking longer than I thought it would :doh11: . pOdge looks a little more active this morning, but otherwise about the same. Louie is about the same too.

Is it possible to upload videos onto photobucket? I don't have a youtube account, and we are on satellite internet. It drops out every 1-5 min and you have to keep reconnecting :thumbdown .

You should be able to upload to photobucket. I hope that it will go more smoothly for you.

Ok, Ive started podges treatment.  How many days do each treatment for?

Ill just itemise it all below so I can keep track of it all.  Its really doing my head in!

pOdge - 40L - was 33g 4 days ago

2 prazi tablets - start day 7 (I've gotten out of sequence I think.  Ill check the prazi schedule in a min to see where I should be.)

1 200 metro - start of day 1

2 measures kanaplex - start of day 1 (had 3 days worth then one day rest, then today start again).

2tsp Epsom salts - day 2

Louie - 13L - was 6g 4 days ago (I'll disinfect pOdges 16L and pop Louie in it tomorrow)

1 prazi tablet - start day 7 (I've gotten out of sequence I think.  Ill check the prazi schedule in a min to see where I should be.)

1 measure kanaplex - start of day 5

3tsp rock salt - 0.1%

pOdge is a little more active today, but he is still pretty much the same as yesterday in all other aspects.  He didn't eat much for dinner, or for breakfast.  He just sort of kept sucking in the food then spitting it out.  I'm feeding them in holding bowls still to keep their tank water as clean as possible.

Louie still swimming sideways a little.  Kinda like her left side is lower than her right.  Ill try to upload a video later.  Our internet is really slow at the moment and keeps dropping out.  It might be a little better later.  Louie is not as interested in her food tonight either.  But did eat all her breakfast. 

Their tank water was a degree or two cooler today/tonight too.  Would that account for the lack of interest in food as much?

Thanks you guys for all your help!  You don't know how much I appreciate it! 

Edited by Ree