Freckles or something sinister?

Ree

Go ahead and start the kanaplex.  I'd like to use something else along with that to get broader coverage.  Are you able to get either metronidazole or erythromycin (Maracyn)?  :idont  You can remove the salt and leave the prazi.

Ill have to look into it.  I am in a remote area and can really only get meds via mail.  So that would be 4 days away at least.  I don't think I can get the metronidazole as I'm in Australia, and I'm not sure, but I think you need a script, and our vet (3/4 hour away) doesn't carry fish meds, or treat fish.  Ill see if I can get the maracyn online... give me a few min

is this it? https://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=4601&name=Waterlife Myxazin Broad Spectrum Fish Medication 250mL

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/additives-chemicals/medication/gram-negative-gram-positive-97gm-powder.html

https://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=5230&name=Aquasonic Bio-Tet 25 Tabs

These are two other ones I can get online, thought they are not what you suggested.  Ill check in the Australian section, though it is going on for 11.15pm here so I don't know how many will answer.  Thanks for your patience.

Ive posted a thread to ask other Australians where they get their meds.  I will keep looking online, but those links above are all I have found so far.

I just had to say Thankyou so much for all your help Fantailfan1.  I really appreciate it so very much!  Can you please just keep an eye on this thread in case I run into more difficulties? 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead and start the kanaplex.  I'd like to use something else along with that to get broader coverage.  Are you able to get either metronidazole or erythromycin (Maracyn)?  :idont  You can remove the salt and leave the prazi.

Sorry Faintailfan1, I don't mean to inundate you.  I have both Louie and podge (the fish with the infection) in the QT tank together.  Should I go ahead and treat them both? 

Also, shall I remove the salt slowly, or all in one hit with a 100% water change?  Is it dangerous to have salt in the tank with kanaplex?

Thanks again for your help and your patience.

• Admin

Sorry Faintailfan1, I don't mean to inundate you.  I have both Louie and podge (the fish with the infection) in the QT tank together.  Should I go ahead and treat them both? 

Also, shall I remove the salt slowly, or all in one hit with a 100% water change?  Is it dangerous to have salt in the tank with kanaplex?

Let me see if Helen will drop by hun... Shes in Aussie Land too :)

Let me see if Helen will drop by hun... Shes in Aussie Land too :)

Thanks Koko... I don't want to loose my baby :no:

Edited by Ree

I'm going to try to get some sleep... I wish there was an emoticon for a brain pacing the floor    :(   ...  Ill try to check in again in about 5-6hrs.  Its 12.45am here now. :yawn  Hopefully I wont miss Helen. :cry1

I wouldn't treat Louie if he'd not showing any signs.  I'd treat Podge in a different tank . . .

I'd say remove half now, half later as far as salt goes.  You can use the salt with the kana but it's not needed.

I wouldn't treat Louie if he'd not showing any signs.  I'd treat Podge in a different tank . . .

I'd say remove half now, half later as far as salt goes.  You can use the salt with the kana but it's not needed.

Should I put Louie in the 58gal that is to be their home?  and continue the prazi in there for him?  Would I just be infecting the 58gal though?  He would be the only fish in there.  It is still cycling at the moment.  Had a cycling disaster :thumbdown I still needed to treat the 58gal with prazi anyhow.

Louie is black so I cant see any markings on his skin, but I noticed today his poo is long white and stringy the same as pOdges.  Does that mean anything?

Edited by Ree

Stringy can be parasites, or it can just be stress related.

Thanks Arctic Mama,

I think Ill set up the other tiny QT tank I have then and finish his salt/priazi in there before I put him in the big tank.  It wont be heated, but he has been 8 days ich free at 26 deg celcius with 0.3% Salt now, so ill call that safe.  Ill just do 0.3% for a couple more days (it will be at aprox 23 deg. C), and then drop the salt back slowly to 0.1% until the prazi is finished. That way if he develops the same symptoms as pOdge in a couple of days I wont have to strip down the big tank.  Its easier doing water changes every day for both QT tanks than having to throw out a whole stack of media and start from scratch cycling again. 

How are things going in the tanks today, Ree?

pOdge was really really listless last night and this morning. He seems to be having a little energy spurt at the moment... the blush is still there though.  It got noticeably worse yesterday and last night.  When I woke up this morning he as just drifting around, hardly moving a fin.  I'm hoping that having Louie out of the tank he will get to eat in peace and get some rest.  He is not interested in where Louie is.  Louie on the other hand is trying desperately to get into the tank with pOdge again.  She is not showing signs of beign sick as yet.  I had started dosing her with the kanaplex in the same tank as pOdge, and now I have separated them I think I will keep dosing Louie as well for at least one round.  That way any bacteria, if they respond to the kanaplex, should be eliminated before she gets sick.  Poor little pOdge though. 

I'm just wondering if I should turn the heater down a little?  It is still on the 26deg from the ich treatment.  Or would that case more stress?  Today is the last day of the ich treatment, and I took out 1/3 of the salt in yesterdays water change, so they are down to 0.2% today, and 0.1% tomorrow until the prazi is finished.

I have to start treating my tropical for ich and prazi today.  They have ich too now :no: , and I have been super carefull not sharing equipment, and washing my hands between tanks.  Hohum!  At least I know what to do for that now.  I just hope I haven't transferred this other bacteria too... makes me very scared! 

Is Otto any better?

Edited by Ree

pOdge is yawning more too.... I don't think it is oxygen related, the tank is very well aerated. :help: But so far I have notice no external damage to his fins or scales other than the blush and the tiny spots.

• Helper

pOdge was really really listless last night and this morning. He seems to be having a little energy spurt at the moment... the blush is still there though.  It got noticeably worse yesterday and last night.  When I woke up this morning he as just drifting around, hardly moving a fin.  I'm hoping that having Louie out of the tank he will get to eat in peace and get some rest.  He is not interested in where Louie is.  Louie on the other hand is trying desperately to get into the tank with pOdge again.  She is not showing signs of beign sick as yet.  I had started dosing her with the kanaplex in the same tank as pOdge, and now I have separated them I think I will keep dosing Louie as well for at least one round.  That way any bacteria, if they respond to the kanaplex, should be eliminated before she gets sick.  Poor little pOdge though. 

I'm just wondering if I should turn the heater down a little?  It is still on the 26deg from the ich treatment.  Or would that case more stress?  Today is the last day of the ich treatment, and I took out 1/3 of the salt in yesterdays water change, so they are down to 0.2% today, and 0.1% tomorrow until the prazi is finished.

I have to start treating my tropical for ich and prazi today.  They have ich too now :no: , and I have been super carefull not sharing equipment, and washing my hands between tanks.  Hohum!  At least I know what to do for that now.  I just hope I haven't transferred this other bacteria too... makes me very scared! 

Is Otto any better?

We're not doing great here, either. Such a bummer. I'm getting ready to tear apart my filter to begin sanitizing it, along with the tank equipment.

I'm so sorry your fish aren't improving. Sometimes they get worse before they get better. At least ich isn't terribly difficult to treat, especially in otherwise healthy fish, but cross contamination is frustrating and SO easy to do :(

I think I have just noticed a patch on his back where veins are obvious, and scales missing.  Ill get my hubby to help me check to confirm when he gets home.  It shouldn't be much longer. I let his flakes soak in some kanaplex tonight to see if that helps too.  Ill do his water change and check him in an hour or so.  This aint looking good! :cry

Edited by Ree

Is Otto any better?

We're not doing great here, either. Such a bummer. I'm getting ready to tear apart my filter to begin sanitizing it, along with the tank equipment.

I'm so sorry your fish aren't improving. Sometimes they get worse before they get better. At least ich isn't terribly difficult to treat, especially in otherwise healthy fish, but cross contamination is frustrating and SO easy to do :(

Im so sorry.  That is so not fair!  I am wondering if I should do the same to my big tank.  The fish haven't been in it, but I am worried I might have accidently cross contaminated it too.  I am super paranoid about it.   There aren't any fish in it at the moment.  It had two comets in there about two weeks ago, and then I took them out to rehome them, but they hadn't been treated.  So I have to treat it for flukes and worms, and also now I am wondering if I should just play it safe and ditch all the media and start again.  Im not sure what to do.  Let me know how you get on.  I feel so sad for our babies. 

Ok, Just to keep the mods updated.  Antibiotics not arrived yet, but they are not expected till tomorrow (Wednesday) through to Friday.  I have 10 Metronidazole tablets, and Oxytetracycline hydrochloride 10g/Kg (Oxymav B http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/OXYMB#.VUin4emJjIV ) coming in the mail.

My lovely hubby helped me take some photos tonight to show his progress.  Please note I am holding him very very gently, he still has plenty of wiggle room in my hands, but he was too lethargic to do much wiggling.

He seems to be getting worse.

Still have pOdge on kanaplex, prazi and down to 0.1% salt now.  Also has prime in tank.

Temp at 26 degrees Celsius... should I drop it now?

Tank water:

Ammonia 0ppm Keeping a close eye on this

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Tapwater:

Ammonia 0ppm Keeping a close eye on this

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

I am doing 100% water changes every 24hours, rinsing everything in chlorinated tap water (including pulling the filter apart and rinsing every day), then again in primed water, then filling up priming and medicating the tank, then adding the pOdge back by hand to eliminate extra contaminated water in the tank.

pOdge and Louie are being fed in their separate holding bowls of an evening with homemade gell food while I clean their tanks to eliminate as much waste in their tank water as possible.  They are having NitriDiet Chlorella Flakes for breakfast in their separate QT tanks.

Tonight pOdges water was cloudier than usual.  Nothing else has changed so don't know what caused this.  Maybe he didn't eat as much of his flakes as he usually does?  He didn't seem as interested this morning.  He ate some dinner, but not as much as usual.  I gave him flakes for dinner soaked in some kanaplex water. 

He seems slimier tonight, esp under his belly, and his belly/chest are all soft, it was firm a couple of days ago.  Should I weigh him again to see if he is loosing weight? or is the softness caused by something else?

His spots/veins have spread across his tummy, chest, and each side of his back rump and near his bottom.  There is a blush (almost bruise look) across his back as well as the spots.  I don't know if this came out in the photos.

He has a spot on his rump where there is a scale missing.  It is hard to see in the photo.  This was not missing this morning.  There are definite veins showing in the area, again I don't know if it is easy to see on the photo.

He has slight pine-coning across his rump, one side worse than the other.

He is lethargic, and just floats or drifts might be a better word around the tank, the littlest amount of movement he can get away with.  He is not interested in Louie who is in the QT tank beside him. 

He is yawning about once every 5 min, sometimes more often.  He is gulping at the surface every little while, but not staying at the surface.  He is occasionally bottom sitting.

His gills look darker than usual. 

Inside his mouth is darker than usual.

He is fin clamping most of the time with his dorsal fin (top fin?)

Here are some photos:

pOdges eyes and face

P1050739%202_zpseutbycfo.jpg

gill colour, chest and tummy spots and veins (sorry this photo is not very clear, but it is the best I could take through the glass bowl)

P1050714%202_zpsl01gybz1.jpg

blush across back and pinspots (this area was pure white), showing darker in mouth

P1050742%202_zpsz6btvpwb.jpg

pinspots on tummy

P1050733%202_zpsdziscafd.jpg

pinspots on left rump

P1050731%202_zps0rrbkx3c.jpg

pinspots on right rump

P1050723%202_zpsytsazkw1.jpg

scale gone, slight pine-coning on left rump

P1050711%202_zpsvpznaizh.jpg

right rump pine-coning in this area, worse than the left side.

P1050707%202_zpswf2qqxyd.jpg

Please let me know if I should change the treatment prior to receiving the antibiotics in the post.

Thanks so much!

Edited by Ree

Let's remove the salt (sodium chloride/aquarium salt), reduce the heat and add Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) at 1 tsp per 5 gallons.  This is really all you can do until the metro arrives.  Once the metro arrives, you will use that along with the Kanaplex.  We will not use the oxytetracycline (at least not right away) as you dont' want to switch meds halfway through treatment . . . .

Let's remove the salt (sodium chloride/aquarium salt), reduce the heat and add Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) at 1 tsp per 5 gallons.  This is really all you can do until the metro arrives.  Once the metro arrives, you will use that along with the Kanaplex.  We will not use the oxytetracycline (at least not right away) as you dont' want to switch meds halfway through treatment . . . .

Ok, what temp should I keep the tank at?

Does Epsom salt have any affect at different temps?  I guess I am asking should I add the Epsom while I reduce the temp, not wait till the temp is reduced?

Thanks so much fantailfan1!

Edited by Ree

Add the Epsom now.  Don't worry about the temp.

What temp would the tank be without a heater?  (Or what temp do you typically keep your tanks?)

Louie is in an unheated QT 12L tank beside pOdge (its all I had) and it is sitting at 22-24 degrees at the moment.  I don't know if that is any heat coming over from pOdges tank.

I need my hubby to help me do a water change and he is not available at the moment.  Can I add the Epsom in with the 0.1% salt that is already in there?  I would then be able to do a 100% water change in around another 6 hours.

I need my hubby to help me do a water change and he is not available at the moment.  Can I add the Epsom in with the 0.1% salt that is already in there?  I would then be able to do a 100% water change in around another 6 hours.

Don't worry.  I cant find any Epsom salts :no: , so I will have to get some in the morning, which will be another 12 hours or so.