Freckles or something sinister?

Ree

Hi,

I was taking photos today of my pOdge in her holding jug (a very old glass measuring jug) while I did 100% water change on her QT tank and I noticed in the photo she has tiny little red dots on her skin.  Is this normal, or freckles, or rash, or irritation, or something else?  I am probably worrying for nothing, but just thought I should check.

04.30.15%20pOdge%20spots_zpszvytjevs.jpg

Thanks heaps!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to start prazi treatment tomorrow evening with their water change.  I have been treating them for ich for the last 8 days (26deg celcius, 100% daily water changes).  The only other chemical in the tank is prime.  I haven't seen any ich for 6 days now. 

Jared recommended the prazi treatment as I noticed they are yawning, maybe once every half hour or so.  Should I fill in a form? 

Only thing is I just had a panic attack and I've just had to take medication for it, and it kind of makes me go to sleep pretty quick.... I'm having trouble typing this.  I think my tetras may have neon tetra disease (maybe, have thread in tropical part of forum), and my lovely sister in law just told me they had to put down their beautiful pug this afternoon.  Its just a little too much for one day. 

Edited by Ree

I was about to start prazi treatment tomorrow evening with their water change.  I have been treating them for ich for the last 8 days (26deg celcius, 100% daily water changes).  The only other chemical in the tank is prime.  I haven't seen any ich for 6 days now. 

Jared recommended the prazi treatment as I noticed they are yawning, maybe once every half hour or so.  Should I fill in a form? 

Only thing is I just had a panic attack and I've just had to take medication for it, and it kind of makes me go to sleep pretty quick.... I'm having trouble typing this.  I think my tetras may have neon tetra disease (maybe, have thread in tropical part of forum), and my lovely sister in law just told me they had to put down their beautiful pug this afternoon.  Its just a little too much for one day. 

26deg celcius, 100% daily water changes, and salt... sorry I forgot to add the 0.3% salt I am also using.

I would start the Prazi you got the Salt and they work Good together hun....

Get some sleep :)

Thanks Koko, Ill try...  :hug

Edited by Ree

I think pOdges rash thing is getting worse.  The dots on his chest are now more like streaks, or stretchmarks, and the skin along his back is blushed where it was white with teeny dots before.  Sorry the photos aren't that great.

They are having 100% water changes every day and I'm adding 12teaspoons of salt for their 4gal tank, and they have had two days of blue planet fluke and worm tablets, and I'm adding a cap of prime with each water change in case of ammonia issues. 

Their filter is being cleaned out every day in clean over primed water, with the filter floss being replaced every third day. 

I am transferring them by picking them up very gently so that the water contamination is absolutely minimal.  When I pick them up I cup my hand around them, and allow them a little wiggle room, so I am not squeezing them in any way.  I always wash my hands in ph neutral soap and rinse really really well and dry, and then put my hands in their water for a couple of min, to eliminate any chlorine before I touch them. 

They are now eating NutriDiet Chlorella Flakes for breakfast, and homemade gel food for dinner half an hour before I do their water change, or they have the gel food in their holding jug while I do their water change.  The homemade gelfood has gelatine, tuna, salmon, zucchini, carrots, capsicum, Chlorella Flakes, garlic, and an Inner Health Plus capsule (digestive bacteria)... I think that's it...

Should I be doing anything else to help them?  Or stop doing something I am doing wrong?

P1050683%202_zpscldzjhws.jpg

P1050682%202_zpsrut3ptss.jpg

Edited by Ree

• Helper

I hate to think I was right, but my first thought upon seeing that was petechiae, not a rash. Broken blood vessels, very tiny, dotting him. Now it really looks like it. I'm so sorry and hope you can get on top of it, quickly :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

Hi Arctic Mama,

I have never heard of petechiae.  What is it, and what is it caused by?  He is still eating fine, though a little listless.  Kinda just floats sometimes, but can really move when he wants something, and is still inquisitive. 

• Helper

It happens quite often in humans but can happen in fish, too. It's a 'rash' that is tiny, broken blood vessels. It's a symptom, not a malady in and of itself. In humans it happens with viruses, stress, physical pressure, and some bacterial infections.

I'm no expert on here, of course. Please don't take my word as a diagnosis, but more of an observation of a long time fishkeeper :)

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and see the images of petechial hemorrhage. I'm not saying you're looking at fish myco, but that is what it looked like to me:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_2/mycobactera.htm

Edited by Arctic Mama

It happens quite often in humans but can happen in fish, too. It's a 'rash' that is tiny, broken blood vessels. It's a symptom, not a malady in and of itself. In humans it happens with viruses, stress, physical pressure, and some bacterial infections.

I'm no expert on here, of course. Please don't take my word as a diagnosis, but more of an observation of a long time fishkeeper :)

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and see the images of petechial hemorrhage. I'm not saying you're looking at fish myco, but that is what it looked like to me:

Thankyou, I'll have a look.  I am a little scared for him.

• Helper

The folks on here will take good care of you and do their best to offer sound, conservative advice to aid Podge and not make it worse. :hug

Thankyou, I'll have a look.  I am a little scared for him.

Mmmmmmm.... what worries me is that it wont be from external cause.  I have been super careful how I handle him.  Would the temperature increase have made it come on faster?  I noticed it a couple of days after i started the salt/temp treatment for the ich, and that was started the same day I bought him home from the shop. So that means it must be from internal right?

Edited by Ree

• Helper

You know, I'm treating Otto right now for symptoms exacerbated by salt and heat. He was already sick and has had symptoms at a low grade for a long time, but that stress seemed to worsen a secondary infection faster than it fixed the primary symptoms. It wasn't bad advice, he was just more fragile than we thought. But we are still working on it and neither of our fish are gone yet. Just do the best you can :)

The folks on here will take good care of you and do their best to offer sound, conservative advice to aid Podge and not make it worse. :hug

Thankyou for the reassurance Arctic Mama.  I don't want to loose him.   :no:  He has the most amazing little personality... well as little as a pearlscale can get.

Im worried my other fish may be infected already.  I have been super carefull for the last nearly two weeks to try to eliminate any cross contamination, and I hope I haven't accidently made them all sick.  pOdge is still in QT with Louie too, so that means he could also be infected?

You know, I'm treating Otto right now for symptoms exacerbated by salt and heat. He was already sick and has had symptoms at a low grade for a long time, but that stress seemed to worsen a secondary infection faster than it fixed the primary symptoms. It wasn't bad advice, he was just more fragile than we thought. But we are still working on it and neither of our fish are gone yet. Just do the best you can :)

Really?  what does your Otto look like?  I hope he gets better.  I will do all I can for my little fella.  I certainly wont be getting fish from that fish shop again.  Every time I get fish they are sick.  So frustrating!!!!!  Esp when there are no other fish shops around for an hour and a half car ride.  And no fish vets for at least 5 hours.

I have kanaplex,  Blue planet trisulfa tablets, blue planet white spot remedy, wardleys promethyasul.

Should I be administering any of these, he is a little more listless, but still eating.  The blush is a little worse than it was 24hrs ago. 

Go ahead and start the kanaplex.  I'd like to use something else along with that to get broader coverage.  Are you able to get either metronidazole or erythromycin (Maracyn)?  :idont  You can remove the salt and leave the prazi.

Go ahead and start the kanaplex.  I'd like to use something else along with that to get broader coverage.  Are you able to get either metronidazole or erythromycin (Maracyn)?  :idont  You can remove the salt and leave the prazi.

Ill have to look into it.  I am in a remote area and can really only get meds via mail.  So that would be 4 days away at least.  I don't think I can get the metronidazole as I'm in Australia, and I'm not sure, but I think you need a script, and our vet (3/4 hour away) doesn't carry fish meds, or treat fish.  Ill see if I can get the maracyn online... give me a few min

Ill have to look into it.  I am in a remote area and can really only get meds via mail.  So that would be 4 days away at least.  I don't think I can get the metronidazole as I'm in Australia, and I'm not sure, but I think you need a script, and our vet (3/4 hour away) doesn't carry fish meds, or treat fish.  Ill see if I can get the maracyn online... give me a few min

is this it? https://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=4601&name=Waterlife Myxazin Broad Spectrum Fish Medication 250mL

is this it? https://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=4601&name=Waterlife Myxazin Broad Spectrum Fish Medication 250mL

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/additives-chemicals/medication/gram-negative-gram-positive-97gm-powder.html

https://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=5230&name=Aquasonic Bio-Tet 25 Tabs

These are two other ones I can get online, thought they are not what you suggested.  Ill check in the Australian section, though it is going on for 11.15pm here so I don't know how many will answer.  Thanks for your patience.