Vacation: What to do for Goldies!

Jeana727

So we are ACTUALLY going on a REAL vacation (Haven't done this in AWHILE!!!) We will be away for SIX WONDERFUL DAYS!!!

I'd like to hear what ya'll do (for your tanks & Goldies) while you are away! I will clean my tank really good the day before. Not really worried about that.

What advice do you have? Here are my worries: Will they be ok or starve? What if the power flicks off & the filters are off...will the fish be ok..will the filters be ok?

I have live plants (Anubias & Java Fern) I ASSUME they aren't edible....Or I would ASSUME the goldies would have eaten them by now).

I appreciate any advice!!!! :thumbup2:

Some folks like to have automated feeders for these type of situations.

Also, if it is only 6 days, I doubt you need to worry about w/c's...I'd just change the water before leaving (big 80%) and when you get back.

I mean, to be honest, goldfish won't starve if they are without food for a few days.

If you are away for 6 days, feed well on the day you leave and the day you get back.

That only leaves 4 days of no food, which should be okay if you can't get the auto feeder.

Also, hope you enjoy the vacation.

:)

I'd fast for the 6 days. Goldies will do fine for up to 10 without food. I've had to do it several times and had no problem, with or without plants.

Do a big ol' WC, and then don't feed after you clean the tank, so that you are starting out with a waste-free environment.

Feed very lightly (1/4 the amount you would normally feed) when you get back, so as to not upset the systems of your fish after a long fast. You can then ease them back to their regular feeding over the next few days.

Still do the normal weekly WC when you get back. 

Never assume the plants aren't edible, or that the fish won't eat them while you're gone. I've come home to completely destroyed anubias before, and one fat goldfish. When they don't have food around, plants will be experimented with because the fish are hungry enough. That same fish enjoyed destroying the java ferns and some lilies, too. :teehee

Edited by ChelseaM

Thanks Chelsea!!  That is the EXACT plan I had in mind!!  If they chow down on my live plants SO BE IT. (I hope they don't though since I have FINALLY gotten my live plants looking great!!)  I'll feed 'em lightly as soon as I get back. I think (HOPE) they will be fine.

I'm thinking about turning the tank lights off & leaving the "pole light" (3 regular light bulbs) that is next to the tank on. I am thinking that will get them kind of a bit of night time & still SOME light.

I'm trying to get most of the bases covered! I am REALLY looking forward to this vacation! My hubby & myself & my 3 adult children, and their significant others...(AND my 3 grandkids) have rented a GREAT beach house right on the beach!!!  It should be WONDERFUL!!! NO IT WILL BE WONDERFUL!!!!

Before I go away I usually get a couple of bunches of elodea from my LFS and stick it in some veggie clips. Goldfish do like to eat elodea so if they do get peckish they can nibble on that rather than my java fern and anubias! 

Well i think you got the answer you were looking for, just want to wish you a fantastic vacation!! Sounds amazing!!! :D

I do a water change the day I leave is possible if not the evening before.  Then I do nothing.  I do a water change when I get back and feed.

If you do put a plant like elodea in the tank, you'll want to disinfect the plants first.

Have a wonderful time!!!

Edited by LisaCGold

I guess my opinion differs from some. I agree with most but I would change the water, feed heavy, leave veggies on a clip, and turn off any heaters if you have them. Agree on small feeding when you get back.

How cool is THIS??!!  My hubby is going to sit up a LIVE video camera 0n my tank! At anytime I'll be able to sneak a peak at the tank & see what's going on!!!

• Helper

That's a great idea! Sounds like something my geeky husband would think of, too :D

Edited by Arctic Mama

Well, I have A BUNCH of stuff to attend to tomorrow SO I am currently doing a BIG water change. I will feed them lightly tomorrow then be gone by 8AM the following day. I feel like everything will be ok...but you know thoughts of mishaps bump jump in now & then!!

Currently refilling! I did about a 90% water change & squeezed the sponges out in a bucket o' fish water!  I even rooted out a few tiny baby Bristlenose Plecos that I hope won't become goldie vacation food! (The goldies have a hard time actually catching those little bolts o' lightning!!!! 

The tank is about as ready for MY vacation as it can get!!!

I am sitting here relaxing & watching a movie....I have been watching my goldies too. I have realized they DID much on some of the Java Ferns! Not TOTAL distruction but they definately visited the "salad bar" several times!!!  That's fine...It'llgrow back!

ALL IN ALL...EVERYTHING WORKED OUT GREAT!!

Oh yes!!  There was ALOT of crazy goldie wiggling/dancing going on as we lugged in all our stuff from the car!!  (Of course I had ALREADY stopped by the tank to COUNT & make sure EVERYONE had survived!!!