Newbie with fish related nightmares

Hi, Koko's! I had some problems posting in New Members topic so I figured I will just get straight to business xD

A little bit over two weeks ago me and my husband got a 40 gallon tank and after my husband decided to get two goldfish. So far so good, yet somehow we completely missed the fact that the fish tank needs to be cycled first. Luckily I found that out pretty fast and have been religiously changing water every day... Later the same week I found Kokos and after much reading purchased Prazipro and aquarium salt and started the quarantine. And water test kit which I use everyday to make sure there is no harmful bacteria traces... Since I got 2 goldies on that point I just kept them in 40g and treated that instead of getting a quarantine tank (which I now purchased, 20g long)... Anyway, who would have known owning goldfish can be so stressful! In between flashing, yawning, weirdness in fins, and surfacing to "breath" I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong... Water parameters are all at 0 (besides 7.6ph), temperature at 75, I even got them a bubblewand since I thought there's not enough of oxygen in water... They seem like happy and active fish otherwise besides my ryukin Fuji who's long tail which was ripped a in one spot when I got him started getting white big dots fuzzy dots...not fuzy in texture but fuzzy as in with not sharp edges. I think its a finrot but I really don't know :( Okay, sorry for this long and not very organized message, I just really at the point where I don't know what to do. I started 3rd round of Prazi yesterday and I still see flashing/yawning/bubbleeating... So I figured I will need to do at least 4 rounds of prazi but... what if Fuji does have finrot? Should I separate him to 20g tank and treat him there with antibiotics? >.< I'm at your mercy, Kokos..

First, please fill out the help request check list and paste it here. I know you have most of the stuff we need, but putting it in the form keeps it organized. Also, could you please provide clear photos or video of what you're seeing on your fish? Photos can be uploaded to an image-sharing site and then the links posted here, and videos work best through YouTube.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 0

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6 ph

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6 ph

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater masterkit, drops

* Water temperature? 75F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40gallons, a bit over two weeks

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Whisperer Power Filter 40

* How often do you change the water and how much? daily - 25%, every 5 days 80%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 80%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, one 2inch with tail, second one two and a half with tail

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquarium salt, Prazi, API Stress Coat+

* What do you feed your fish and how often? 3 times a day,pellets, flakes and veggies. Bloodworms once a week, peas once a week. They eat about 5 min a day

* Any new fish added to the tank? no

* Any medications added to the tank? Prazi

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. .01% salt for 12 days, Prazi round 3 by five day method

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Ryukin has bloody streak on dorsal fin, white spots on his tail on the edges of tail, approximately 5 spots

* Any unusually behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Surfacing and "breathing" out of water, yawning, flashing. Not all day, but enough to bother me

Thank you for a link! That does help with organization >.< I don't have any videos and the only photos I got are from my phone :( I will post that if you would still like to see it though

Welcome to Kokos! :hi

You have gorgeous fish, they're both just lovely! :wub

Just wanted to say congrats on doing your research, it can all seem very overwhelming at first but once you're over this initial rocky patch you'll have happy and healthy goldfish to enjoy, which will be worth it. One of the mods will be along soon to advise you, but I just wanted to say hang in there, you're doing a good job :)

:welcome

Your tank and fish are pretty!  Try not to get too overwhelmed - I was in your position about this time last year, so I know how it feels.  You kind of learn as you go.  You're definitely on the right track coming here and asking lots of questions, so I imagine you will do just fine. :)

Kate89, thank you, its funny how I got so attached to them in such a short period of time and I just want them to be okay :) As a tittle suggests I already had nightmares about those guys swimming sideways >.< O.o I hope I can fix them up :)

SweetMamaKaty, thanks! Its nice to hear that people have been where I'm at and have happy fishies now, still in this hobby :) I'm also very happy I found Kokos, I feel like I'm learning so much everyday already :)

Is there a way that you could get closer photos of the effected areas of the fish? Like where the spots are?

:heart thank you for doing your research on these guys. You and your husband are absolutely awesome.

Okay, after some intense search and one burned dinner later I found my old camera  :happydance Sadly, its very old and...well, not much better? v.v Well, that's what I've got 100 pics later >.< And it means a lot to hear that, Chelsea, I hope I can give them care they deserve =) 

1_zpspybenr8s.jpg

2_zpscyt4csi2.jpg

I can't give you any advice, but as you know, you have come to the right place for help. Surely, someone will be along shortly. I just wanted to say :welcome: and I absolutely LOVE the fact you censored your gf's dancing-poop.gif BUT, it usually something that is asked about.;) 

:hi   and welcome.

I think you have made some really great choices so far.  I have couple of suggestions that may help you with your Goldfish.  The first is that you switch from API Stress Coat to Seachem Prime, particularly while your tank is still cycling.  Prime will help neutralize harmful ammonia and nitrite as well as chlorine and chloramines.  Make sure to keep testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and do water changes as needed until the tank is cycled.  I also think you should add a second filter.  Your Whisper 40 has a GPH of 210.  You really want about 400 GPH for Goldfish in a 40 gallon.  It is also good to have a second filter in case one goes out.  This will save your cycle and fish.  

As for the white spots on the tail, they look like typical slime coat reactions to the Flukes and the Prazi.  The splits could also be from Flukes.  I would continue the 0.1% salt and Prazi.  Once you are done with the Prazi rounds, I would do a couple of weeks of just salt at 0.3% (1 Tablespoon per gallon) to eliminate any protozoan parasites.

Hi, Jared :)

I will take all advice I can get! :) I heard of 100x GPH rule somewhere on this forum, but didn't understand it all the way >.< So... should I get second one of Whisper 40? Or can you advice another type of filter? I will order some Seachem Prime tomorrow morning ^^ ... Its a huge relief to hear that white spots can be a reaction to flukes/prazi! Offcourse, I will keep monitoring (like a helicopter mother...), but with all the scary stories I have read this sounds like a ray of hope! xD Also, glad go hear I can up to .3% after finishing prazi - I skipped first two weeks of .3 salt as advised for quarantine procedures (my bad v.v) and was worried upping salt after weeks of .1 would just get parasites used to it?

Hi, Jared :)

I will take all advice I can get! :) I heard of 100x GPH rule somewhere on this forum, but didn't understand it all the way >.< So... should I get second one of Whisper 40? Or can you advice another type of filter? I will order some Seachem Prime tomorrow morning ^^ ... Its a huge relief to hear that white spots can be a reaction to flukes/prazi! Offcourse, I will keep monitoring (like a helicopter mother...), but with all the scary stories I have read this sounds like a ray of hope! xD Also, glad go hear I can up to .3% after finishing prazi - I skipped first two weeks of .3 salt as advised for quarantine procedures (my bad v.v) and was worried upping salt after weeks of .1 would just get parasites used to it?

It's 10X your tanks gallons.  So, 10 x your 40 gallon = 400GPH.  I like Aquaclear filters by Fluval because they hold a lot of Media and don't use cartridges :)

Hello and welcome to Koko's!  :hi Your fish are beautiful! The one in the photos with the long tail looks a lot like one of the ones I recently acquired. Glad you found us and are working on learning all you can. I wish I had found Koko's sooner than I did. You'll definitely learn a lot here.  :thumb:

hi, goldfishgirl ^^ and yay we got fish brothers! xD or sisters >.< I'm glad to be here, especially since you guys are not only informative, but also helpful and welcoming <3 :)