QT treatments and Bristle Nose Plecos

Ree

Hi,

I was wondering if I could pick everyone's brains again... pretty please.

I have to move a bristle nose pleco over from my tropical tank to my goldfish tank.  The tropical tank has not as yet had prazi QT treatment.

The tank he/she is going to is my 58gal Goldfish tank.  It is cycling at the moment (for 7 days now), empty, but had two commets I there until yesterday.  The commets had not had prazi either. 

My pOdge and my Louie are in QT at the moment and are going in the 58gal in 5 more days (if no more ich spots show) and they are then having their prazi treatment in the big tank.

So my questions are...

1. when should I move over the bn pleco?
  2. Which pleco should I move over?  one is very slightly larger (just over an inch) and fairly outgoing and shos the smaller one (just under an inch but slimmer build; if there is such a thing in the pleco world) away from food.  The smaller one is slightly harder to find during the day.  I just wondered which personality would be best for the Goldfish?  I make sure I feed them in two different spots so the smaller one has a chance to get some food.

Thankyou all so much.  I know I ask a lot of questions.

Depending on how long you've had the plecos, treating them separately isn't a bad idea. Others might disagree, but I like to err on the side of caution. Just remember to forgo the salt.

If the size difference is marginal, I would move what ever one you wish. There is really no telling whether the outgoing one will be as brave when moved elsewhere—who knows how complex pleco psychology is. :rofl Provided they have plenty of hiding places, some wood to rasp on and plenty of food, either should do just fine.

Edited by dan in aus

I have several pieces of driftwood and one or more is often working away on one of the pieces. They have even used my Dragon bubbler as their CAVE....and raised babies. I realized this (I had seen them go into the Dragon then the Dad would be in there alot (sometimes just laying on the dragon's tongue  (very funny).....THEN babies actually came shooting out of the nose along with the bubbles!!!

I just let nature take it's course....(the goldies keep my tank from overpopulation).

Mine "rasp" on everything..the driftwood, the side of the tank, the ornaments & plants!  They are very hard workers!

Every now & them they bust out in a game of "TAG"....chasing each other around at high speeds!

I enjoy them & think they are THE PERFECT PLECOS for GOLDIE TANKS!!

Depending on how long you've had the plecos, treating them separately isn't a bad idea. Others might disagree, but I like to err on the side of caution. Just remember to forgo the salt.

If the size difference is marginal, I would move what ever one you wish. There is really no telling whether the outgoing one will be as brave when moved elsewhere—who knows how complex pleco psychology is. :rofl Provided they have plenty of hiding places, some wood to rasp on and plenty of food, either should do just fine.

I agree.  I would Prazi them while they are still in the tropical tank before moving one over to the 58.  Even then, there is still some risk that any non-Fluke parasites that may be present in the tropical tank could be transferred over.  So be sure your tropical tank is parasite free before moving them to the Goldfish tank.  

For my BN pleco, I QT'd her and did 4 rounds of prazi during which I had about 0.2% salt for two weeks. My pleco is female. She likes to hide near the eheim jager heater. I think she likes how warm it is there. She is not scared of my goldfish. She will eat pellets beside them even though they bump into her. She doesn't budge, just peacefully eats pellets. It took a couple of months for her to get comfortable with the goldfish and visa versa.

I agree.  I would Prazi them while they are still in the tropical tank before moving one over to the 58.  Even then, there is still some risk that any non-Fluke parasites that may be present in the tropical tank could be transferred over.  So be sure your tropical tank is parasite free before moving them to the Goldfish tank.  

Hi Jared,  How do I make sure the tropical tank is parasite free? 

Ill start their prazi treatment in the tropical tank after their next water change in a couple of days.  Can they handle any salt?

They have zucchini, and whatever food is left on the bottom of the tank and some algae on the sides of the tank/ornaments (I'm making sure I don't wipe down the tank walls until they are separate to give them the best chance of finding food possible).  They also have algae wafers, but never get to them before the tetras and guppies devour them.  They have driftwood coming in the mail and a little pleco cave for the goldie tank (apparently they are good online shoppers :lol: )

Thanks Dan,

Ive had the plecos the same length of time as the pOdge and the Louie.  The tropical tank was set up the same day.  I was going to use the tropical tank to QT the tropicals as they were all new fish together.  Thankyou for the confirmation on the size question.  I might move the bigger one to the goldie tank as the goldie tank is twice the size of the tropicals. 

I have several pieces of driftwood and one or more is often working away on one of the pieces. They have even used my Dragon bubbler as their CAVE....and raised babies. I realized this (I had seen them go into the Dragon then the Dad would be in there alot (sometimes just laying on the dragon's tongue  (very funny).....THEN babies actually came shooting out of the nose along with the bubbles!!!

I just let nature take it's course....(the goldies keep my tank from overpopulation).

Mine "rasp" on everything..the driftwood, the side of the tank, the ornaments & plants!  They are very hard workers!

Every now & them they bust out in a game of "TAG"....chasing each other around at high speeds!

I enjoy them & think they are THE PERFECT PLECOS for GOLDIE TANKS!!

Jeana, they sound so cute....  I wasn't too keen on them at first, but they have grown on me.  Mine don't tag.... one chases, the other runs for her/his life.   

For my BN pleco, I QT'd her and did 4 rounds of prazi during which I had about 0.2% salt for two weeks. My pleco is female. She likes to hide near the eheim jager heater. I think she likes how warm it is there. She is not scared of my goldfish. She will eat pellets beside them even though they bump into her. She doesn't budge, just peacefully eats pellets. It took a couple of months for her to get comfortable with the goldfish and visa versa.

Hi Lisa, your plecos didn't mind the 0.2% salt?  How can I tell if mine aren't handling the salt? 

How big are your goldfish and plecos?  she sounds cute!

Would I be best off prazi-ing the tropicals while I prazi the goldfish, then when all rounds of prazi are done move the pleco to the QT tank and keep an eye on him/her there for a few weeks doing 90% water changes daily?  I am just really unsure on how to make sure he wont infect the goldies with anything!  I don't want my pOdge and Louie sick again after all the effort they are going through getting un-sick! 

Edited by Ree

I am currently treating all of my tanks with 0.3% salt as I think I have a parasite in my system. So far, the plecos and the plants seem to be faring okay. I raised the salt over several days to let the plecos and plants adjust more gradually. However, I will not know whether this was successful or harmful until I have finished the 2 week salt treatment and therefore can't recommend it yet. Currently, I am watching both the plants and the plecos like a hawk for signs of trouble. I will post my findings once I have completed the treatment.

Hi Lisa, your plecos didn't mind the 0.2% salt?  How can I tell if mine aren't handling the salt? 

Princess, my pleco, didn't mind the 0.2% salt. I introduced the salt at 0.1% then a couple of days later added more. By the 4th or 5th day the salt was at 0.2%. Kept the salt at that level for two more weeks.

My goldfish are 78g and 85g. Princess is about 3-4 inches long. She was considered a "junior" when I bought her. She is a kick to watch, especially now that she doesn't mind the goldfish.

I saw that Jared has posted about the prazi/salt treatment that his fish are currently undergoing. I'd watch and wait to see what he writes at the end of that treatment. It would be good to know if a pleco can handle 0.3% salt. I've read elsewhere on the internet that they can. I appreciate Jared testing this out with his system.

I am currently treating all of my tanks with 0.3% salt as I think I have a parasite in my system. So far, the plecos and the plants seem to be faring okay. I raised the salt over several days to let the plecos and plants adjust more gradually. However, I will not know whether this was successful or harmful until I have finished the 2 week salt treatment and therefore can't recommend it yet. Currently, I am watching both the plants and the plecos like a hawk for signs of trouble. I will post my findings once I have completed the treatment.

Hi Jared,

Can you please let me know??? Thanks so much!  I would LOVE to know how you got on!

Princess, my pleco, didn't mind the 0.2% salt. I introduced the salt at 0.1% then a couple of days later added more. By the 4th or 5th day the salt was at 0.2%. Kept the salt at that level for two more weeks.

My goldfish are 78g and 85g. Princess is about 3-4 inches long. She was considered a "junior" when I bought her. She is a kick to watch, especially now that she doesn't mind the goldfish.

I saw that Jared has posted about the prazi/salt treatment that his fish are currently undergoing. I'd watch and wait to see what he writes at the end of that treatment. It would be good to know if a pleco can handle 0.3% salt. I've read elsewhere on the internet that they can. I appreciate Jared testing this out with his system.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for that.... your Princess is 3-4 times longer than my little fellows.... they are just on an inch!  How long before I know if they are boys/girls?  They have no bristles showing yet.

I bought my plecos from Acro who said they could handle 0.3 % salt, but to bring it up more gradually than with goldfish.

I'll start the salt on the tropical today then too.  Just 0.05% increase each day.  That should get me up to 0.2% in four days, and let me keep an eye on how the tropical are handling it.  Thanks so much!

Be careful to research the salt tolerance of your other tropical fish before adding salt. I believe tetras are sensitive.

Oky, ill look them all up, and if I cant find the info, ill ask!  They don't have ich, so that is something!  Maybe flukes/worms, but ill start them on the prazi the same time Louie and pOdge start.... Hopefully tomorrow!  Is the prazi as effective without the salt? or is it required  for the prazi to work?

Should I prazi the tropicals, then QT the pleco by him/herself for two weeks with salt/temp26deg?  Just as a precaution before I add her/him to the clean goldie tank?

Thanks Jared!

Edited by Ree

I don't know how long it will take to be able to tell the gender of your plecos. Acro would know since I think he has breed them in the past.

Acro, (how do I get him to notice this question?)

I have two little BN plecos.  They are just on an inch!  How long before I know if they are boys/girls?  They have no bristles showing yet.

Yes, Prazi will work without salt :)

Thanks Jared. 

Im having trouble with my tropical tank though.  :o I've got a thread here on it.  

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121310-qt-for-tropical-tank/

I am suspecting Neon tetra disease? If it is... what do I do about QTing the pleco to get it ready for the goldfish tank?  Is it even possible? I don't want pOdge and Louie ending up with it! :no:

Edited by Ree

I don't know how long it will take to be able to tell the gender of your plecos. Acro would know since I think he has breed them in the past.

I have two little BN plecos.  They are just on an inch!  How long before I know if they are boys/girls?  They have no bristles showing yet.

You can try looking up Acro in the members list, clicking on his name, and then sending him a message about your thread here.

Edit: Here is the members list thread: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/members/

Edited by LisaCGold

You can try looking up Acro in the members list, clicking on his name, and then sending him a message about your thread here.

Edit: Here is the members list thread: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/members/

Thanks LisaCGold :thumbup2:

Yes, Prazi will work without salt :)

Thanks Jared. 

Im having trouble with my tropical tank though.  :o I've got a thread here on it.  

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121310-qt-for-tropical-tank/

I am suspecting Neon tetra disease? If it is... what do I do about QTing the pleco to get it ready for the goldfish tank?  Is it even possible? I don't want pOdge and Louie ending up with it! :no:

My expertise is limited to Goldfish.  I am currently learning more about Bettas and Plecos as many of our members keep them as well.  For tropical fish, I suggest you Google each species and learn about their individual needs.  That is what I would do.  I also noticed you got some good advice from members such as Ranchu Dressing who keep tropicals :)