Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Male or Female?

Hi,

How do I tell if my pOdge and Louie are male or female? 

When should I expect breeding stars?

Here is a link to my photobucket if you need pics.  They aren't great quality.  There aren't so many photos of Louie.  He is camera shy... and normally squashed by pOdge! 

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/Reesbucket/library/?sort=3&page=1

Thanks so much....

Podge (pearl scale?) appears to be female to me. I'm not sure if Louie is the black telescope or the singletail.

Edited by Mikey

If you would be able to get a clear picture of the vents and pectoral fins that would be your best bet on sexing them.

Podge (pearl scale?) appears to be female to me. I'm not sure if Louie is the black telescope or the singletail.

Yep...LOL... You could tell who pOdge was :teehee  Shes a girl!  :happydance  YAY, don't know why but I always thought of her as a girl and Louie as a boy.  Louie is the black telescope.  The Comet talking to the snail has now been rehomed.

If you would be able to get a clear picture of the vents and pectoral fins that would be your best bet on sexing them.

OK,  Can you check back on this thread tomorrow about this time Mikey?  Ill try to take a photo while I am cleaning their QT tank.  I have to do 100% water changes at the moment.  They are very quick little critters though, so clear photos are very very tricky!

I can't tell from the pics, but I would not use Podge's round body shape as an indicator that he/she is a female.  All pearlscales of this type are golf ball shaped.  

I think you just have to wait for breeding stars to appear on the operculum or the first pectoral ray.  They should be quite obvious on Louie if he/she is indeed a male.  Also watch for eggs in the tank and chasing behavior.  The male will generally chase.  I have found that the vents can be a little tricky to read.  

The pearly is a Girl but the Black one is hard to tell... The front fins to look thick but I can see any pits on it yet.. If you can get a better and closer photos that one for us :)

I can't tell from the pics, but I would not use Podge's round body shape as an indicator that he/she is a female. All pearlscales of this type are golf ball shaped.

I think you just have to wait for breeding stars to appear on the operculum or the first pectoral ray. They should be quite obvious on Louie if he/she is indeed a male. Also watch for eggs in the tank and chasing behavior. The male will generally chase. I have found that the vents can be a little tricky to read.

i didn't use the body shape, I used the thin pectoral fins :) Edited by Mikey

I can't tell from the pics, but I would not use Podge's round body shape as an indicator that he/she is a female. All pearlscales of this type are golf ball shaped.

I think you just have to wait for breeding stars to appear on the operculum or the first pectoral ray. They should be quite obvious on Louie if he/she is indeed a male. Also watch for eggs in the tank and chasing behavior. The male will generally chase. I have found that the vents can be a little tricky to read.

i didn't use the body shape, I used the thin pectoral fins :)

That was just a general comment.  Not directed at your response :)

The pearly is a Girl but the Black one is hard to tell... The front fins to look thick but I can see any pits on it yet.. If you can get a better and closer photos that one for us :)

No problems Koko.  I don't know if behaviour helps too.  Louie is normally underneath pOdge when they come to the side of the tank to sticky beak... but then she always kinda sinks and squashes him.... Don't know if that's because she is normally at the mid tank level, so the only way he can go is down to get around her, or if it is done on purpose.  Anyhow, most of the time he ends up squashed if they are sticky beaking to see what I am up... or more likely to or what food they might be going to get....  She doesn't chase him at all...

I can see what looks like a protrusion from the vent of the moor, so I'd say female :)

pOdge is a seriously adorable pearlscale! How long have you had her, and how big is she?

pOdge is a seriously adorable pearlscale! How long have you had her, and how big is she?

Thankyou!  She came home with me exactly one week today!!!!!  I think she is about 7cm long (body) and her tail might be 4.5cm at the most, and round?  Well, there is a whole lotta round with pOdge! :teehee  She is really funny.  If you make 'fish noises' with your mouth, she comes over to the side of the tank and has a chat... it looks more like :blahblah  Id love to know what she was actually saying?  Does anyone have a fish translator? :teehee  And when she swims, she jiggles!  My hubby kills himself laughing!

Im really sorry, I wont be able to get the photos today.  Im not well enough, but can you all please come back tomorrow and ill try really hard to have them all uploaded and ready for Louies evaluation.... 

Thankyou so very much, I really appreciate all you guys having such a vast knowledge, and making it available to people like me who are still learning!  Thankyou!

Im really sorry, I wont be able to get the photos today.  Im not well enough, but can you all please come back tomorrow and ill try really hard to have them all uploaded and ready for Louies evaluation.... 

Thankyou so very much, I really appreciate all you guys having such a vast knowledge, and making it available to people like me who are still learning!  Thankyou!

Well I guess I can let you go this time :wa JK :teehee Hope ya feel better :hug

Thanks so much Koko.  I found out yesterday I have got to come off the new pain med I have been on for the last three months because I started having panic attacks and high anxiety with it... so now nasty withdrawals  :cry Ill try to take the photos a little later today.  Hopefully Ill feel a bit better in a little while.  Thanks so much for the giggle and the hug!

Thanks so much Koko.  I found out yesterday I have got to come off the new pain med I have been on for the last three months because I started having panic attacks and high anxiety with it... so now nasty withdrawals  :cry Ill try to take the photos a little later today.  Hopefully Ill feel a bit better in a little while.  Thanks so much for the giggle and the hug!

One day at a time hun.. one min at a time.. :hug

Thanks Koko! :cry  :undecided:  :)  :icecream:blush:

Thanks Koko! :cry  :undecided:  :)  :icecream:blush:

:hug:fart:rofl

Oh Koko, :teehee I love it!

I've managed to upload some more pics.  Louie was heaps more cooperative today!  YAY!    Had heaps of trouble taking a photo of pOdges'... um... rear... feels really awkward taking photos of something's rear and posting them... oh well, I did want to know, right???  Every photo except one her tail is trailing in the way!  She is modest!  A Lady!

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/Reesbucket/library/?sort=3&page=1

So is pOdge still a girl, and is Louie a girl too? 

I weighed them today... Louie is a little teeny 6g and pOdge is a massive 33g!  No wonder Louie is always getting squashed!

Edited by Ree

Well your Moor is a Girl :thumbs:

Your Pearly... I want to say girl but those pectoral fins look alittle thicker than your moors... Hummm

Your Pearly... I want to say girl but those pectoral fins look alittle thicker than your moors... Hummm

So pOdge might be a boy? I had a look at his, um, behind region, and i don't know how easy it is to tell with pearlys as their skin is so stretched!  But I think his vent is concave not convex.  Does this help?

So pOdge might be a boy? I had a look at his, um, behind region, and i don't know how easy it is to tell with pearlys as their skin is so stretched!  But I think his vent is concave not convex.  Does this help?

Maybe it isn't concave.... its so hard to see, it is longer than Louie's, but I cant really tell if its concave or convex after a second look.

if you can get a close up of the pectorals I can help:)

Okay, I will try to upload it in the morning, its just after 12.30am here.  The lighting is bad at the moment, well non existent!  I had a filter disaster this afternoon.... water everywhere and electrical power boards on the floor.... so, no lighting till the power board dries out!  And fortunately my wonderful hubby was here and stoped me getting electrocuted.  At least I know he wants me around still, he didn't push me in! :teehee

Okay, I will try to upload it in the morning, its just after 12.30am here.  The lighting is bad at the moment, well non existent!  I had a filter disaster this afternoon.... water everywhere and electrical power boards on the floor.... so, no lighting till the power board dries out!  And fortunately my wonderful hubby was here and stoped me getting electrocuted.  At least I know he wants me around still, he didn't push me in! :teehee

Oh Ive done that before..... had a light fall in the tank too... w a cat to go with  it :rofl