Aussie avaliable fish food for a floater?

Ree

Hi everyone,

I am looking for the absolute bestest quality flake/pellet/crumble food for a floatie pearlie.... Does anyone have any clues as to the best food available in Aus for my poor little pOdge?

I was feeding them Nutrafin Max and noticed after 4 days she was getting a little floaty/listless, and then I gave them Seachem Nutridiet Chlorella Flakes and after one feed she is as bright as a button... so it must be all in the fooooood....

I would not feed flakes. Flake food will encourage floatiness, also, they usually contain a lot of fillers which make the food unhealthy. You don't want to feed any food that floats, so go for a small sinking pellet or gel food. Gel foods seem to work the best for floaty fish. 

Every fish is different, so it's a lot of trial and error to find something that works.

I would not feed flakes. Flake food will encourage floatiness, also, they usually contain a lot of fillers which make the food unhealthy. You don't want to feed any food that floats, so go for a small sinking pellet or gel food. Gel foods seem to work the best for floaty fish. 

Every fish is different, so it's a lot of trial and error to find something that works.

Thanks Chelsea,  I always make sure I release the flakes below the surface of the water so they are not gulping air.  Ill have a look and see if there are any gel or pellet foods available.   Do you know which ingredients are more likely to cause floatiness?

Thanks Chelsea,  I always make sure I release the flakes below the surface of the water so they are not gulping air.  Ill have a look and see if there are any gel or pellet foods available.   Do you know which ingredients are more likely to cause floatiness?

The only things I would stay far away from are foods high in fillers. The first few ingredients should not contain the following:

• Wheat
  • Soy
  • Rice
  • Corn
  • Byproduct Meal
  • Oat
  • Potato

These fillers aren't as easily digested. Especially for floaters, you are going to want a food that can be digested easily and not cause blockages. 

The only things I would stay far away from are foods high in fillers. The first few ingredients should not contain the following:

• Wheat
  • Soy
  • Rice
  • Corn
  • Byproduct Meal
  • Oat
  • Potato

These fillers aren't as easily digested. Especially for floaters, you are going to want a food that can be digested easily and not cause blockages. 

THANKYOU!  That explains so much!!!  The first ingredient on the Nutrafin Max is :yikes  cereals!!!! Well, that is going in the tank for cycle food, not fish food!  Thankyou Chelsea!  I might have a look at making their food if I cant get something that will work for them.

New Life Spectrum Thera A + is an excellent pellet. You can find it on the Guppy's Aquarium website. :)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that, I will see if I can find some.  I made some gel food today using tuna, salmon, egg white, zucchini, red capsicum, carrot, garlic, some Seachem Nutridiet Chlorella Flakes, an Inner health plus capsule, and gelatine.  Hopefully that will last them till they get some pellets.  I'm just waiting for it to set... oh I wish there was a nail biting emoticon!

Yes I do find new life spectrum to be a good quality food.

Thanks CourtneyandThunder!  Ill look into their products! :thumbup2:

Edited by Ree