Hi and I got my first baby!

lizam

Hi!  I have been around for a little while on the forum and I am not completely new to the fish keeping hobby  I kept fish as kid (so very long ago!) and actually got back into it over a year ago after a terrible experience with poor goldfish that were kept at my job.  It didn't end well for the poor babies...  After that I vowed I would do way more research and try to make real efforts towards keeping them in a healthy, nice environment.  I continue to learn and really appreciate that this forum has a lot of experience here.  This hobby has really benefitted me in so many ways...probably why I have about 3 tanks at home and 2 at work going :o

I have been busy researching and drooling over goldfish on various sites that don't ship to Canada.  :wacko:   Anyway after wiping the drool from my chin, I decided I really wanted to get a little oranda and then consider later on getting him/her a friend that comes from one of those sites I look at that make me smile.  I thought it would be fun to watch a little one grow and care for right from when they are so tiny.   Well yesterday I was cross-boarder shopping and saw her.  I think it's a girl anyway.  She is now a new immigrant to Canada :P The picture isn't great but you can see how small she is by the power cord behind her.  :teehee She's in a temporary tank and will be upgraded to a 45g in the next month or so.  I don't have a name yet but  I cannot help but love her already!

post-24797-0-77400000-1430186504_thumb.j

Thanks everyone  :)   I named her Jadzia.  She has little black markings on one side of her face (for now anyways) and if anyone is an old trecky fan, Deep Space Nine, you might remember her.  Don't tell my two bettas, but she is fast becoming my favourite fish :D

Hello and welcome.  You picked out an adorable little Oranda.  My favorite goldfish seems to always change.  All of my three have been a favorite at one time more than once already. :)  

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. So after some quarantine time, I realized she likely had ammonia burns and ich:( She is now still under quarantine conditions with her new friend, Cherub, another slightly bigger oranda, who is in much better condition than she was. Jadzia almost looks like a different oranda now. It's amazing what good water quality, good food, salt and some love can do :)

Welcome to Kokos Lizam, Jadzia and Cherub!  I know you'll find lots of good advice, and some friendly faces to help you through the tough times!  :hi