OMG FRY!

Josie

Holy crap, so I was watching my tropicals eating their food just now, and I noticed there are fry in my tank!  :yikes

What kind of fry???  I am not sure.  They are yellowish.  I have platys, a molly and neon tetras in the tank.  All of the platys seem to be female, so the fry must be neon tetras then...right?  Or maybe the platys were already pregnant?  I would think it is more likely that they are platys.  I have had this tank set up for about a month now, and I don't know how long the gestation period for platys is.

Here is a picture of two fry:

JszeH5sl.jpg

Edited by Josie

It's really really hard to distinguish platy fry from molly fry till they're over a month old, though I'm leaning toward platy based on your pic.  Mainly because I'm drowning in 3-week-old molly fry right now and I know them intimately.  :teehee

But even if your molly is a single female with no mate, she can store sperm for up to 6 months and decide when to get pregnant (so if you've had her less than 6 months, it could be molly fry).

Oh the molly is a male, so I know they are not from him LOL!  I am pretty sure they are platys then because I think it is harder for the neons to breed.  I have no idea how many are in there, or what I will do with them all!

Eeeeeek!  I don't really know what to think of all this LOL   :huh: It looks like I will be having a fish give away sometime soon   :rofl2

Food for someone :donthit:

Like who.....a goldfish?  Is that what people do with their extra fry???

I just looked in the tank again and I found a baby pond snail!  This tropical tank is taking on a life of its own LOL.

• Admin

WOOOT !!!

Not to side track but I got a question for you Molly and platy ppl...?? Ready??

Can you mix guppies with a platy or a molly in the tank... I want to get a platy and put it with the guppies just one :)

WOOOT !!!

Can you mix guppies with a platy or a molly in the tank... I want to get a platy and put it with the guppies just one :)

YES!  They go together great :)

WOOOT !!!

They do great together, but a word of warning: mollies and guppies will breed together! 

• Admin

WOOOT !!!

They do great together, but a word of warning: mollies and guppies will breed together! 

Say What?!?

What do they make...Muppies :rofl No really they can mix?

WOOOT !!!

Say What?!?

Yup, they're very closely related! It is the same for platy x swordtail. 

Here's a guppy molly cross:

pics007-1.jpg

photo credit to yellowgirl on the tropicalfishkeeping.com forum

Muppies or gollies?  :teehee

WOOOT !!!

Say What?!?

Yup, they're very closely related! It is the same for platy x swordtail. 

Here's a guppy molly cross:

pics007-1.jpg

photo credit to yellowgirl on the tropicalfishkeeping.com forum

Muppies or gollies?  :teehee

This is cool, good thing I don't have any guppies in my tank or who knows what kind of babies I would get LOL I chose to buy a molly since the lady at my LFS assured me that a molly could not breed with my platys :)  You will notice I was careful and also bought only female platys...I guess all my careful planning to avoid having one million fry didn't really work out :)

Most female livebearers bought at pet stores are already pregnant. My first guppy fry and my first platy fry were both from females that were already pregnant when I bought them! :)