Sign in to follow this  
goldfishfanforever

Oh no more troubles please!

So as some of you know I got a telescope goldfish a couple of weeks back and he/she is fine so far except i noticed a twisted peduncle so he/she rests in a plant pot sometimes when water flow is fast and comes out to eat and swim around as well but just now something has happened... I have just come home from school and I turned on the filters (we turn them off when we aren't here as water is always surrounding the media) and looked away and turned back and saw the telescope goldfish stuck against the filter but quickly turned the filter off and then I saw my blue oranda with a red, sore swelled up eye what do I do?? I can't remove them as I have no space and my prime and kusuri isn't here yet! Please help also here is the thread for details about the telescope and the tank they are in : http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121133-telescope-goldfish-eye-problem/

Also forgot to mention the telescope is floaty at the minute :( 

GFF, I think you should start a proper D &D for the blue oranda and continue the eye problem thread for the telescope, with this updated information.

GFF, I think you should start a proper D &D for the blue oranda and continue the eye problem thread for the telescope, with this updated information.

Ok will do

I don't think it is advisable to turn your filters off when you leave.  You need to keep the tank water constantly circulating through the media in order to maintain the cycle.  If you are concerned about the current or the intakes catching your fish, try baffling the outflows with a piece of filter padding and adding prefilters to your intakes.

The D&D form is linked just below my signature :)

I don't think it is advisable to turn your filters off when you leave.  You need to keep the tank water constantly circulating through the media in order to maintain the cycle.  If you are concerned about the current or the intakes catching your fish, try baffling the outflows with a piece of filter padding and adding prefilters to your intakes.

The D&D form is linked just below my signature :)

My parents won't allow me to keep the filters on when out or at night and I will try and fill out the form later :)

I am sure they have their reasons, but I think you will have a difficult time maintaining a healthy environment for your fish with a sporadic filtration schedule such as this.  I have never heard of anyone doing this before.  Perhaps you can explain that to your parents :idont

I am sure they have their reasons, but I think you will have a difficult time maintaining a healthy environment for your fish with a sporadic filtration schedule such as this.  I have never heard of anyone doing this before.  Perhaps you can explain that to your parents :idont

I have asked but my parents won't allow in case there is a fire caused by them :(

That really confuses me. Have you ever asked them why they are afraid of that?

I haven't but my dad isn't persuaded easily :(

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

It's more for understanding than for persuasion. 

Maybe explain the nitrogen cycle to him and explain that the media must have a constant flow of water over it in order to keep the water levels safe for the fish?

The fish and food produce the ammonia which in turn with the biological bacteria in the filter turns that into nitrites and then even more bacteria turns the nitrites into nitrates which are removed with water changes. If the filters are constantly unplugged, then the bacteria can't be stable which causes cycle bumps.

It's more for understanding than for persuasion. 

ok :)

Maybe explain the nitrogen cycle to him and explain that the media must have a constant flow of water over it in order to keep the water levels safe for the fish?

The fish and food produce the ammonia which in turn with the biological bacteria in the filter turns that into nitrites and then even more bacteria turns the nitrites into nitrates which are removed with water changes. If the filters are constantly unplugged, then the bacteria can't be stable which causes cycle bumps.

I will try :D

Ok I need some help with the oranda what so I do with him (I know i need to start a thread for him) as his eye looks bloody so maybe trauma but it may be Popeye but he was fine the day before what do I do with him isolate him??

Ok I need some help with the oranda what so I do with him (I know i need to start a thread for him) as his eye looks bloody so maybe trauma but it may be Popeye but he was fine the day before what do I do with him isolate him??

Start a thread, fill out the D&D form and post a clear picture of the eye :)

I think the oranda has just swam into something as its eye is its normal size now i believe just with some blood on it but the telescope is really floaty and on its side what do I do??

We need you to fill out the form so we can figure out what the problem might be.  The link is just below my signature :)

We need you to fill out the form so we can figure out what the problem might be.  The link is just below my signature :)

I will do :)

RIP little telescope goldfish I will always love you :(