Is is possible my tap water isn't suitable for goldfish?

It just seems that no matter what I do, I just can't keep my fish healthy.

My tap water has an ammonia level of .25, but I use a double dose of prime at my weekly water change. 

Is it possible that there is something in my tap water that could be keeping me from keeping my fish alive and healthy?

Has anyone else ran into a problem with their tap water?

Yes, there could be something in your tap water that affects your fish negatively. But it also could be something in your tank, maintenance program or equipment that needs adjustment. I suggest posting in the disease diagnosis forum and filling out the form so the moderators can get a sense of your system.

One way to determine if the problems reside with the tap water is to use spring water or filtered water.

Here is a filter I use for tap water: http://familybedrock.com/category/garden-hose-filter. I run the water through a hose into buckets before adding to my tank. I had a problem with high ammonia in my tap water and this reduced it by a lot which made the water conditioner able to remove it completely. It takes other contaminates out as well. If you click the link it lists all the contaminates that are removed by it. If you have hard water where you live you'll probably need to replace it sooner than they recommend, but it will still last for a long time. It has helped me immensely. If this doesn't work for you, you can also buy filtered water from some local fish stores. 

Please do as Lisa requested.  There is such a thing as bad water,  but usually there is another problem.  We can't determine which without more information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gilbert......... I have read in other site that sometimes the decorations can be dangerous to goldfish, like driftwoods, color gravel, inexpensive artificial plants, . What decorations do you have actually?....