Product Review - Deep Blue Nitrate Remover Pad

This thing is amazing. My nitrates were always in the 40-80 range (I can't tell the difference between those two colors on the chart to save my life, can anyone tell them apart??) before my weekly 80% water change. I've had a lot of problems recently with floaty fish and just other general health issues, and figured my high nitrates might have something to do with it. So I started looking online for products to reduce nitrates. Everything from $300 nitrate filters to $150 reactor setups, to this product:  http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Professional-ADB41005-Nitrate/dp/B004HSUO20/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

It's a big blue filter pad, and I was skeptical that it would actually do anything, despite all the positive reviews. But I figured I should try it before I started spending $100's on fancy reactor systems. I cut it so that it fits in my AC 500, and conveniently enough it now takes up the exact same space as the sponge that comes with the filter, so that was a plus. I tested my nitrates before I did my water change and added this thing, and they were at their usual 40-80 ppm.

I'm on week three now, just tested my water before my water change, and my nitrates are at 5 ppm.

Five.  :|

And I wouldn't be surprised if they're at zero when I test it next week. This is the best thing that has ever happened to my tank, I can't recommend it enough. GO BUY ONE RIGHT NOW.

I'll definitely give it a try. I use a similar product by a different brand and haven't seen much of a difference. Sounds like this one is better.  :thumb:  Does it say how often you need to change it out?

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I just looked on their website but there's no information whatsoever on how it works. It says it's both mechanical and chemical filtration, so there must be something in it that sucks up the nitrates. I read a lot of the reviews on Amazon before deciding to get it. There were some negative reviews, a few people saying it did nothing at all, and at least one person who said it caused problems in their tank so they took it out. But the vast majority of the reviews were positive, including people who were using it on their reef tanks. To keep a reef tank you basically need to keep your nitrates at zero or you are in for a world of hurt, so to see those people endorsing it made me feel good about giving it a try. If something is safe for corals, that's proof enough for me that it's safe for my goldfish. :P   

I'll definitely give it a try. I use a similar product by a different brand and haven't seen much of a difference. Sounds like this one is better.  :thumb:  Does it say how often you need to change it out?

It doesn't say how often to change it. I figure I'll just keep testing my nitrates and if I see them creeping back up again I'll know it's time to change it. I will keep this thread updated as time goes on and let you guys know how the tank does with it.

• 3 weeks later...

This works (I think) like active carbon. It stores the undesired chemical for a period of time and for a limited amount of said chemical. When it is full, it will no longer absorb more of this and if you keep it for a longer period of time, it can "break" and release all the chemical buildup back into your tank.

I would also look at what is causing the high nitrates in the first place, especially when it's paired with floaty fish.  Do you have nitrates in your tap?  If not, it could be that you just need to reduce the amount of food you are feeding.

• Helper

She's in Southern California. I'd assume if it is anything like the area where I grew up that the water is atrocious. Barely drinkable, chlorinated, nasty stuff.

/Alaska water rocks.

She's in Southern California. I'd assume if it is anything like the area where I grew up that the water is atrocious. Barely drinkable, chlorinated, nasty stuff.

/Alaska water rocks.

I know the tap water in my area has high ammonia from chloramines, which once put in the tank turns to nitrate if your bio filter is working properly. It's high enough that Prime doesn't completely neutralize it. I battled this for quite some time before getting a filter for my tap water. I would imagine this is a common SoCal problem. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I am tempted to try this if I can buy it here.

Although... if I put primed, high nitrate tap water straight into my tank during each water change, and Googs had to wait (for however long) for the nitrate to filtered out, that would make the water yo yo nitrate wise. Would this be bad for him?

Hope that sentence made sense :P