Ph/Kh/Gh stabilization and Cycle

Ok, I'm posting here to help keep track of my tank cycle and also get some help on getting my kh/gh happy in my tank. I'm not sure that I'm reading my kh/gh chart correctly so I'm reporting them in drops.  Both test kits are API drop kits. I am currently using double prime and two tsp of salt.  I have a 20g tank with 2 fancy goldfish that are each about 3-4 inches and a filter with biowheel running at 150gph/7.5x maintenance. 

April 21:  

Tank/tap

Ammo:  0/1.0

NitrAte: 40/0

NitrIte: 5/0

Ph high range: 7.4/8.4

Ph low range:  7.6/7.6

Kh # drops: na

Gh # drops: na

post WC

Ammo: 0.25

NitrAte: 0

NitrIte: 0.5

Ph high range: 7.4

Ph low range: 7.6

22nd am  pre/post wc

Ammo: 0.25/0.5

NitrAte: 20/0.0

NitrIte: 5.0/0.25

Ph high range: 7.4/8.0

Ph low range: 7.6/7.6

no WC on the 23rd

24th pre WC

Ammo:  0

NitrAte: 40

NitrIte: 5.0

Ph high range: 8.0

25th pre-WC 

Ammo: 0.25

NitrAte: 10

NitrIte: 5.0

Ph high range:7.4

(tank/tap)

Kh # drops: 3/3

Gh # drops: 5/4

today 12pm EST post-WC (tank/tap) I didn't test pre-WC today, I just went ahead and did another huge change since my nitrites aren't lowering at all.

Ammo: 0.25/1.0

NitrAte: 10/0

NitrIte: 0.25/0

Ph high range:8.0/8.8

Ph low range: 7.4/7.4

(tank/tap)

Kh # drops: 5/6

Gh # drops: 4/4

Can anyone tell me what normal kh/gh/ph is for goldfish? I also have no idea how to get my nitrites at 0, the 100% WC lasts all of one hour before I start getting 0.25 and by the next day it's up tp 5.0 again. 

Thank you! 

You want your KH and GH to be at least 100.  To convert your drops just multiply the number of drops by 17.9.  So if your KH is 5 drops, your KH is 89.5.  GF prefer a STABLE pH above 7 and do fine with a pH up to 9 as long as it is STABLE.

Getting your nitrite down to 0.25 is fine as you're adding salt to help with the toxicity.  Just try and not skip any days of doing a WC cuz you really don't want those nitrites getting any higher.  :o

Alright this is where I'm at.  Last night I had a late night at work so I did a 75% WC before bed and didn't test my water b/c I had work early this AM. I did another 100% WC today when I got home from work (about 6pm) and I have been adding 1/4 tsp of baking soda for my pH and 2 tsp of salt and double my prime.  I just re-tested my water in comparisons to my tap and this is what I've got:

My tank:
10394551_10153257683524134_2328123545665

kH: 71.6

gH: 71.6

My tap:

Ammo: 0.5

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Ph high range: 8.8

kH: 71.6

gH: 107.4

What am I doing wrong?  :help:  I've tried to follow this from my initial post http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/ but I can't really get 0.2 tsp, somehow I figured it out to be 2/8ths of a tsp which is 1/4 which is 0.25, it's the best I can do with what I got for those initial numbers.  I should probably go add another dose of baking soda? But I feel like I'm really missing something here, my kH of my tank and tap are the same, but still too low, my gH isn't matching up and my ph is still dropping. 

If your tap KH is about 70ish, you want to raise your KH at least 30. So for a 20 gallon tank, you should be adding 0.6 tsp or just a titch over a half teaspoon.

As far as pH goes, baking soda is limited in its ability to raise pH to 8.2-8.3 max. But that will get you within 0.5ish of your tap and allow you to do rather large WCs without stressing the fish.

Alright I will add more, when I do my WC should I be testing the tap and base my baking soda on that or should I wait for my pH to drop and see what I need to add? (Thank you again for all the help fantail!) 

Test the tap. We are trying to avoid a pH drop. Hopefully after you've done this for a while, you'll get a feel for how much the tap fluctuates and how much baking soda you need to be "safe". At some point in the not so distant future you should know how much baking soda is needed to keep your pH stable and your KH at a decent level. It's kind of a pain in the :booty right now but it will get easier. :)

And you're welcome. :D

Alright here's where I'm at pre-wc today. 

My tank kh and gh are both 89.5 despite me adding 1/2 and 1/8th tsp yesterday (0.625 tsp). 

My params are currently here: 

10392324_10153259547129134_4699229189087

My question now is how big of a WC should I do? 100 still? 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I was in Orlando last week so no WCs were done for two days. I did a 100% WC right before leaving and fasted the fish. Did a 75% WC and have been doing 50% WC. My ph is constantly at 8.2/8.0 my kh is constantly at 8.95 despite me adding baking soda and these are my results tonight (images are the same results, just one with flash and one without since my kitchen light is burning out):

20150511_174859_zpshctan8bm.jpg

20150511_174919_zpsxghveuzm.jpg

How big of a WC should I be doing? I know that I need to bring my Nitrates down. Thanks in advanced!! 

A stable pH and a KH of minimum 100 is what we're shooting for.  If we get a stable pH with a KH of 89.5, we might just have to be satisfied with that.  We'll see if adding more baking soda helps raise the KH a bit more . . . .

My kh has now been at 125.3 and a ph of 8.2 for the past two days. My params are looking happy, my ammo goes up after each WC because of the ammo in my tap but is dropping back down by the time I do the next WC, I'm still doing double prime.  My nitrites are at 0ppm and my nitrates have been sitting between 5.0ppm and 10ppm by the next WC. This is with the 1 and 1/4 tsp of baking soda and 2 tsp of salt.  I'm still doing huge water changes, did 100% on the 11th, 75% on the 12th and 75% today.  Anything else I need to be doing right now to keep these guys happy? 

Would you try it, please, just to give us some more information to work with?  Your current tests indicate your tank is cycled, so I'm not sure why you are doing large daily water changes.  A nitrate level of 10-20% is a goal most people can't reach.  :)

When there is a large difference between tank and tap pH, the best water change procedure is a small daily water change (like 10%).  This will be perfectly comfortable for the fish.  My calculations indicate a 10% daily water change is somewhat better than a 50% weekly water change in keeping your nitrate down without any swings in the level of nitrate or other dissolved substances.  Goldfish don't like change.

If you do 10% six days a week and 30% on the seventh day, it is about as effective in controlling nitrate as a 70% weekly change.  You can age water overnight in a five gallon bucket before the "big" water change day.