How do I QT apple snails?

Ree

Hi everyone!

I don't know if I have this in the right section or not, and I could not find any other threads addressing this (might have missed them), but how does one QT snails?

Thanks so much!

I just leave them in a container for 6 weeks with frequent water changes.  Mine arrive very small and I fill a 10 gallon up half way, changing the water every day for a week and then a couple of times a week after that. 

I just leave them in a container for 6 weeks with frequent water changes.  Mine arrive very small and I fill a 10 gallon up half way, changing the water every day for a week and then a couple of times a week after that. 

Ok Motherredcap, thanks for that!  I just was stumped, had NO idea! 

What diseases/parasite's do snails transfer to fish?

Something tells me that QTing is an 'abundance of caution' thing, and I doubt any snail illnesses are communicable to fish.   I suspect that the QT is about eliminating any parasites that might be hitching a ride in the water contained in the snail or its shell (or on the surface of the shell). 

Edited by motherredcap

Something tells me that QTing is an 'abundance of caution' thing, and I doubt any snail illnesses are communicable to fish.   I suspect that the QT is about eliminating any parasites that might be hitching a ride in the water contained in the snail or its shell (or on the surface of the shell). 

Ahhhhh, ok, thanks for that.  Ill keep that in mind when I get a new snail!  I am very overwhelmed :doh11: at the moment by my goldfish QT and was wondering how difficult it was to QT snails when the time comes....  LOL maybe I should have kept a tank full of snails as QT looks less stressful for them!  Ahhhhhh, but goldfish are so majestic and soothing.... :devilangel  :D

I do the same thing as Susanne, but I typically do a month to six weeks depending on where I got the snails from. I don't think there are many things that snails can transfer to fish, but I do it to make absolutely sure since I do not trust the stores where I typically get my snails with being disease free. Long enough away from fish and I believe anything that would be on the surface of the snail would die because it has no host.

I do the same thing as Susanne, but I typically do a month to six weeks depending on where I got the snails from. I don't think there are many things that snails can transfer to fish, but I do it to make absolutely sure since I do not trust the stores where I typically get my snails with being disease free. Long enough away from fish and I believe anything that would be on the surface of the snail would die because it has no host.

Hi goldfishgirl82,

Thanks so much for confirming that.  Ill do that.  I will be more prepared when I get the snails for their qt than the goldfish.  OY am I still learning....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this.

Another question: Do they need aeration or anything? Are WCs 2 times a week frequent enough or is it meant to be daily? Beside of Prime do I have to put anything else into the water?

Sorry for the annoying questions. 

Apple snails are fairly tough.  I QT the teeny ones in a 3 litre vase!  With that size container, I do change the water everyday but there is no aeration.  With a larger container, you could slow the water changes, but part of the routine is to get fresh water through their systems and flush out anything that might be harmful to the fish.