Excessive yawning. Still. After multiple prazi treatments.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helper

Got them moved into a new twenty gallon tank I got off Craiglist for $20. It's a little more expensive to treat but now, hopefully, the water won't degrade as quickly. When they're done with it I'm transferring my tropical community into it :)

Nobody looked worse, though fins were still bloodshot on Otto and a little on Momoko, too. Still feeding Metromeds and using Quick Cure, 78 degrees, no salt, plenty of agitation.

• Helper

So the Metromeds experiment has been interesting. It did indeed appear to halt the Columnaris. The white spots have gone away and only the edges of his tail melted. No more white tufts, slime coat shedding, or advancing necrotic spots. Bloodshot fins seem then ame or slightly better. Momoko still has some white blister/pimples on her tail, which I'll have to get a better shot of, but overall the Columnaris appeaes in retreat again with th synergistic combo of the stuff in the Metromeds, expired or not.

The Quick Cure doesn't appear to be bothering them. Maybe just the occasional clamping, but no flashing, almost no yawning, good coloration, etc.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses over the next few days, but maybe catching the resurgent Columnaris so early allowed the Metromeds to be inhibitory enough. Huh.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Helper

I'm thinking of giving the Quick Cure one more day, for a full seven day course.

As long as the temperature doesn't go above 80 I'm not seeing any stress behavior in them right now. So that's good news. Though Momoko did spit out a tooth on the aquarium floor :rofl

He still has those random pimples on his fins, too, but I'm thinking they're benign. No change in them one way or the other.

I'm thinking of giving the Quick Cure one more day, for a full seven day course.

As long as the temperature doesn't go above 80 I'm not seeing any stress behavior in them right now. So that's good news. Though Momoko did spit out a tooth on the aquarium floor :rofl

He still has those random pimples on his fins, too, but I'm thinking they're benign. No change in them one way or the other.

Yeah, I think at 78 F, seven days should do it.  I'm nervous about going too long with the Formalin.

• Helper

You and me, both! Last dose just added, then I'll do another full water change and continue with the Metromeds another eleven days.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Yeah, Ping just died on me yesterday for no apparent reason.  He was bottom sitting, so I did a water change even though the parameters were fine.  He stopped breathing and was dead before I finished.  Afterwards, I examined his body and gills and found no external signs of illness.  Really strange :idont

• Helper

Oh no! I'm so sorry he went so quickly. He was a cutie :(. That's very much like what happened to Mango, my pearlscale. Zero symptoms and then BAM! Gone. I'd had a little cycle bump but everyone here seemed to think it wasn't enough to nuke a perfectly healthy fish.

Hopefully it was a one-off and Pong will still make it. I'm picking up my new 80 gallon this afternoon and excited to get Tora added to the crew when we are clear of this :)

Oh no! I'm so sorry he went so quickly. He was a cutie :(. That's very much like what happened to Mango, my pearlscale. Zero symptoms and then BAM! Gone. I'd had a little cycle bump but everyone here seemed to think it wasn't enough to nuke a perfectly healthy fish.

Hopefully it was a one-off and Pong will still make it. I'm picking up my new 80 gallon this afternoon and excited to get Tora added to the crew when we are clear of this :)

Pong and the Pleco seem totally fine.

Tora is excited about the upgrade :rofl

• Helper

Crud. Since I've been hanging out with the baby I've noticed Momoko yawn three times. It's not nearly as frequent as it was, but after a week of quick cure surely it isn't the parasite? He's foraging, swimming, and acting totally normal. Could it just be with the dose of QC ten minutes ago that the oxygen content was a bit lowered?

Otto isn't showing any signs of distress at all. The only symptom on him are those still slightly bloodshot pectorals.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Formalin can irritate the gills, which is why I think we should stop it tomorrow. I can't imagine that the parasite has endured 7 days of Quick Cure at 78 degrees. Hopefully, clean water and the Metro Meds will take care of the rest.

• Helper

That's what I'm hoping. If it survives this I'm submitting Otto for university analysis, because that is one insane parasite.

Should I bother with any salt when I change my water out tomorrow? I know it inhibits the Columnaris spreading if any remains, but I'd kind of like to give my poor fish a treatment break.

That's what I'm hoping. If it survives this I'm submitting Otto for university analysis, because that is one insane parasite.

Should I bother with any salt when I change my water out tomorrow? I know it inhibits the Columnaris spreading if any remains, but I'd kind of like to give my poor fish a treatment break.

I would skip the salt and give him a break.  

• Helper

One side of his tail appears to be worsening with the white splotch. I'm doing another water change and if that doesn't improve things I'm going to add 1 ppt salt back in to inhibit the Columnaris (if that is the cause) or help the healing, if it's just leftover fin rot from the bacterial necrosis.

We shall see.

Everyone looks good and is porking out on their Metromeds. No clamping or bottom sitting, good coloration. Otto looks like his mouth is going to be permanently misshapen after losing mor of his lips (his profile now reminds me of the stub noses of my glowlight tetras) but it doesn't appear ton eh bothering him or inhibiting his eating. It doesn't close completely so he is losing the occasional bit of food out the front, but that's very minor I'd say. Momoko looks awesome. His wen seems to have shrunk a bit during this, but refeeding with methionine rich food after the Metromeds should take care of that.

One side of his tail appears to be worsening with the white splotch. I'm doing another water change and if that doesn't improve things I'm going to add 1 ppt salt back in to inhibit the Columnaris (if that is the cause) or help the healing, if it's just leftover fin rot from the bacterial necrosis.

We shall see.

Everyone looks good and is porking out on their Metromeds. No clamping or bottom sitting, good coloration. Otto looks like his mouth is going to be permanently misshapen after losing mor of his lips (his profile now reminds me of the stub noses of my glowlight tetras) but it doesn't appear ton eh bothering him or inhibiting his eating. It doesn't close completely so he is losing the occasional bit of food out the front, but that's very minor I'd say. Momoko looks awesome. His wen seems to have shrunk a bit during this, but refeeding with methionine rich food after the Metromeds should take care of that.

I hope we got it after of this.

• Helper

Behavior today is still totally normal. And I might be seeing things, but I believe the base of his fins is finally looking less irritated. I'm willing to believe some of it is just his coloration.

Tail is unchanged. No worse or better.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Helper

Oh brother.

Both started yawning again. A few times a minute, even after a water change. Otto has been doing backwards spurts to the point he almost ends up completely vertical in the water, trying to clear whatever is irritating him. Occasionally when he does that an air bubble cones out his mouth. Could something like gill damage possibly explain the issue?

Or could something have lived through the quick cure, and possibly hatched and re-infested them? I'm at a loss except to treat for parasites again.

Everything else seems fine, they're still on Metromeds another week.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Hmmm, it's unlikely that it's a bacterial gill infection since they're on Metro Meds.  It could be a resurgence of the parasite (though I doubt that) or just post irritation from the Formalin :idont

• Helper

I'm testing water params today, in case it's an ammonia or nitrite spike. Last change was Friday morning.

Today's symptom is color blanching. Otto was almost white when I turned on the tank light this morning, and a little twitchy and darty. Momoko seems fairly normal, except for the yawning.

• Helper

I think one culprit was the water. Checked the params:

Temp: 74 degrees

pH: 7.0

Ammonia: .5 ppm (eeeeeek!)

Nitrites: 0-trade, just the slightest purple tinge to the sky blue color

Nitrates: 5 ppm

I added some cycled media from a tropical tank to help colonize the filter of the quarantine while they wait it out for the 80 gallon to be set up and cycled, but it seems it wasn't able to keep up with the bio load of their vigorous appetite on the Metromeds. I just completed a 100% water change and minimal yawning, darting, or off behavior, color is improved again.

I remember thinking, previously, that Otto was my very sensitive fish to water quality. He's the one who starts acting off when nitrates top 20 ppm, and that ammonia level would be intolerable to both of them.

I'm still seeing some flicking, head shaking, clamped fins, and spurting as I sit here watching, so parasites may still be an issue. Should I try again with quick cure or Paraguard?

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Helper

Sorry, I was out for the Holiday. How is Otto today?

Hey sorry, I've had family in town and been really busy. I'm glad they're gone, even though it was fun to have them. Guests are a lot of work.

Everyone in the tank seems to be fine. We still have one pectoral fin on Otto that is slightly more bloodshot, but I can find no cause. As long as I'm keeping up with daily water changes they exhibit no stress behavior aside from that fin and both Otto and Momoko showing slightly dilated tail veins, and Otto continuing to spurt upward and backward a bit, usually right after eating. I'm no longer convinced that's parasite behavior, though, because he seems to be the only one doing it and it's only after a feeding. No clamping or flashing right now. No external symptoms. It seems like keeping the ammonia under control while I colonize the HOB and sponge filters again is my main issue.

I have noticed some melanophore migration at the base of Otto's pectoral fins, which I assume is healing from the parasite infestation. Any thoughts on that I haven't come up with, myself?

I'm actually thinking Tora can come join us shortly. I'm still on the fence about trying some Paraguard on them. With such low grade symptoms I'm not sure medicine will solve much, given the downsides of treatment for something that seems like it might just be unique to this fish's body.

Edited by Arctic Mama