Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Mama

Excessive yawning. Still. After multiple prazi treatments.

Ugh. Momoko is showing some splotches now. I'm acclimating him out of the salinity and going to let him into the quarantine with the antibiotics to slow his own spread.

Video is uploading veeeery very slowly.

Momoko is now showing some white splotches on his tail - the Columnaris is moving like wildfire. I'm nuking the main tank with Kanaplex and Furan-2 in addition to the Acriflavin and .3% salinity. This is a very aggressive strain. I decided to keep Otto in his separate quarantine to not stress him out further, as he is already bottom sitting

Video still isn't ready. But it's already outdated thanks to the rapid progression of symptoms.

Edited by Arctic Mama

You won't find potassium permanganate at a fish store, or at least I never have.  I found mine at a Sears where the water softener tanks are.  Or ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Potassium-Permanganate-Flowing-Powder-1-5-Ounces-98-Pure-SHIPS-FAST-/161666964205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a41a1aed

For severe Columnaris, I would use the Kanaplex and the Furan-2 together along with the 0.3% salt for the possible parasite.  I'm not sure that adding the Acriflavine and the Quick Cure is necessary or advisable.  That's a lot of meds at once :idont

May I suggest really getting the PP hun... you need that :)

Most pharmacies sell it labelled as Condys Crystals.

Most pharmacies sell it labelled as Condys Crystals.

Im so sorry Momoko is getting sick too!  When I was little and had chicken pox mum used to put condys crystals in our baths to help minimise infection.  Now I understand how it works!  It didn't just make the water a pretty colour!  I hope you find some for your babies.     :k055:

For severe Columnaris, I would use the Kanaplex and the Furan-2 together along with the 0.3% salt for the possible parasite. I'm not sure that adding the Acriflavine and the Quick Cure is necessary or advisable. That's a lot of meds at once :idont

Yes, the Quick Cure oxidized out and I'm not redoing it because the Columnaris is a bigger deal than the parasite issue at this point. The Acriflavin was a bactericide to nuke the filter and interior of the tank and prevent further spread. I still haven't dropped Momoko's salinity but he and Otto both are now on the Kana and Furan.

Fish store a completely out of extra antibiotics but I did pick up some Prime. I'm going to have to look elsewhere for PP or order it :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

And the stupid white, fluffy necrotic spots are still spreading. With salt, Kanaplex, Furan-2, and Acriflavin. The virility of this strain is unreal.

Wow....you and them are really in a battle aren't you.

Fingers crossed for you all.

I think you are doing all you can and will just have to see if the antibiotics can reverse this.  I would suggest that you continue with the salt, Kana and Furan-2 :)

Miraculously everyone made it through the night and is none the worse for wear. Otto is actually swimming around with no clamped fins.

I'm on his second dose of Kanaplex, Momoko's first. Both are on the first Furan. What duration should I aim for? Three doses? Four?

And does anyone know if Columnaris survives drying out?

I would go 5-6 doses with the Kana and 10 days with the Furan.

I would go 5-6 doses with the Kana and 10 days with the Furan.

Got it. I nuked the filter and am tossing media, bleaching water hoses, etc etc. I'll change the water between each dose of Kanaplex, take a few videos of their progress, and hope we are over the worst.

There are still some gray spots of flesh but they're no longer fluffy and no longer spreading, and the slight splotching of Momoko's tail seems to have gone away entirely. Fingers fingers crossed, but I think we have officially turned the corner. Whew! Everyone is foraging, eating, and swimming fairly normally. Still some yawning but I think that's related to the lack of filtration right now. I'm just running a power head for agitation and aeration.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Hmmmm... Is it fixed? I'm still really new to youtube uploading :o

Edited by Arctic Mama

WOW!  they look amazing.  I was really really worried for them.  Thankyou so much for sharing that.  It gives me a little hope for my babies too.  :hi

Yay!!

Glad they are better :)

That's great news that they are getting better. Hope they are continuing to improve!! :thumbs:

PP came in the mail, as well as more Kanaplex, Metro, Furan-2, Meth Blue, and wonder shells (love them!).

I'm having a hard time keeping my ten gallon quarantine as clean as I'd like it for both fish - I'm looking into replacing it with a 20 gallon hospital tank but in the meantime, is possible for me to change the water daily and just replace the Kanaplex at full strength or will it overdose the fish? I've been doing 100% water changes every two days but I'm not happy with it, I think daily changes are a better idea. I have three Kana doses and five more Furan doses to go.

Also - should I still do a PP bath on one or both of them? We are still getting some backward swimming from Otto but I can guarantee it isn't because of the less than pristine water quality. He seems extremely sensitive to poor water.

Advice on the daily changes with the Kanaplex and PP bath concentration, please? I got the a Jungle Clear Water pp solution, as a reference point :)

For reference on further treatment, here is what we are dealing with on Otto's mouth. Momoko shows no symptoms but some yawning and a few healing white spots on his tail. The yawning could be parasitic, or it could be the water.

http://www.aurorafiberarts.com/data/phoo/2015_05_08/image.jpg

http://www.aurorafiberarts.com/data/phoo/2015_05_08/1431129151_image.jpg

He was less than thrilled with being wrangled for photographs, but I hope those are clear. No fuzz, just reddened, raw, and a bit ragged still. It seems to have deteriorated further than a few days ago but I think that's just the skin catching up with the damage done, not anything new, necessarily.

Edited by Arctic Mama

For reference on further treatment, here is what we are dealing with on Otto's mouth. Momoko shows no symptoms but some yawning and a few healing white spots on his tail. The yawning could be parasitic, or it could be the water.

http://www.aurorafiberarts.com/data/phoo/2015_05_08/image.jpg

http://www.aurorafiberarts.com/data/phoo/2015_05_08/1431129151_image.jpg

He was less than thrilled with being wrangled for photographs, but I hope those are clear. No fuzz, just reddened, raw, and a bit ragged still. It seems to have deteriorated further than a few days ago but I think that's just the skin catching up with the damage done, not anything new, necessarily.

Yes, you can do 100% daily water changes and just replace the full dose of antibiotics.  What are you aiming to treat with a PP dip...parasites?  I'm not sure I'd go that route as PP can burn the fins and gills.