Hermit crabs

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you post pics of your hermit crabs and their tank? :please

I have taken the pics about to upload them as well :) Just a warning the two new ones are up so they have been photographed but the other one that I have had for 6 weeks is still down either molting, destressing or dead only time will tell

So here are some pics of my hermit crabs and there current tank. The tank they are in is a 20 gallon but I am upgrading them to a 33 gallon soon with 8-10 inches of coocnut fibre and play sand substrate hope you enjoy:

The tank:

P1070889_zpsdwu961di.jpg

Hermit crabs eating coconut:

P1070886_zpsmoveu4ne.jpg

P1070887_zpsyfs8rdbs.jpg

P1070888_zps3pugmkln.jpg

P1070890_zps1eqyh2ls.jpg

P1070891_zpslx9zqjey.jpg

P1070892_zpsgmt4j8ty.jpg

What's that white thing in the last picture?

They're very pretty btw :)

Thank you for the pictures! Your Hermies are lucky to have a nice fresh coconut. I have only given mine shredded dried coconut. I have seen whole ones in the grocery store but wouldn't know how to crack it open. How did you open your coconut?

I have that same plant that you have between your shell shop and moss pit :teehee I see that you have some really good shells available for them.

Your hermies will love it if you do upgrade to a 33 gallon :) My hermit crabs are in two 40 gallon breeder tanks and at the rate they are growing over the past 2 1/2 years I will end up having to upgrade too! :hummm  :o  :rofl

Your tanks look really nice, you did a good job ;)

Thank you for the pictures! Your Hermies are lucky to have a nice fresh coconut. I have only given mine shredded dried coconut. I have seen whole ones in the grocery store but wouldn't know how to crack it open. How did you open your coconut?

I have that same plant that you have between your shell shop and moss pit :teehee I see that you have some really good shells available for them.

Your hermies will love it if you do upgrade to a 33 gallon :) My hermit crabs are in two 40 gallon breeder tanks and at the rate they are growing over the past 2 1/2 years I will end up having to upgrade too! :hummm  :o  :rofl

You need an ice pick or screw driver and put it in one of the holes and wack it with a hammer :pan

Check it out on YouTube :)

You need an ice pick or screw driver and put it in one of the holes and wack it with a hammer :pan

Ahh ok! Thanks for the tip ;) I'll have my Fiancé do it for me :whistle , I'll probably smoosh my hand or something :wacko:

Ahh ok! Thanks for the tip ;) I'll have my Fiancé do it for me :whistle , I'll probably smoosh my hand or something :wacko:
You can do that or smash the three holes at the end with a screw driver, get the coconut milk out and wake it on concrete or stone really hard :)

• 2 weeks later...

My first crab came up from a molt last night and now both of the new crabs have tried to get its shell I believe as they grabbed around the shell lip and wouldn't let go until I had to scare them off the shell but I hope everything will be okay between those three. If its not my fish having problems its my other little devils :D

Well I have one crab that keeps hassling the older one and now its in the older crabs shell and the older crab is in another shell but hopefully alive :) Can crabs keep grudges or do I need to separate??

• Supporter

I know nothing apart hermit crabs, apart from what Ive read here, but yours are so cute! Whe i was 12 we had a hermit crab as a class pet, he didnt live very long though and now that Ive read this I can see why...he had a terrible set up!

I know nothing apart hermit crabs, apart from what Ive read here, but yours are so cute! Whe i was 12 we had a hermit crab as a class pet, he didnt live very long though and now that Ive read this I can see why...he had a terrible set up!

Thanks my mum still thinks the hermit crabs a freaky but I think they are cute well as cute as a crustacean can get and I'm sorry to hear about the class hermit crab it may have died because it suffocated if the humidity was low or had to surface molt if there wasn't enough substrate. I will get pics of the new hermit crab setup in a couple of days :)

I don't know if this has been addressed in the large paragraphs I have seen, but if they get curious enough..(like mine..) they will climb up the sides of the tank that are filled with water sealant, mine were SOOO determined..but just watch out, because that has happened to me.. :whistle

I don't know if this has been addressed in the large paragraphs I have seen, but if they get curious enough..(like mine..) they will climb up the sides of the tank that are filled with water sealant, mine were SOOO determined..but just watch out, because that has happened to me.. :whistle

Mine seem more determined to climb on top of each other but there is always a first time :)

• Supporter

Yea I think it was a lot of things that killed ours :yikes he was in a 5 gallon tank, with a thin layer of sand, a bunch of shells and some chicken wire to climb on. He did have some shallow bowls of water but idk if they were frsh or salt..think there was only one. He didnt have any lights or anything. Really noone in our class knew a thing about them and we only got him because the class next door got rats, we wanted mice..which i had at the time and could have supplied everything for, but our teacher refused to get mice and got the hermit crab instead. Poor lil guy.

Yea I think it was a lot of things that killed ours :yikes he was in a 5 gallon tank, with a thin layer of sand, a bunch of shells and some chicken wire to climb on. He did have some shallow bowls of water but idk if they were frsh or salt..think there was only one. He didnt have any lights or anything. Really noone in our class knew a thing about them and we only got him because the class next door got rats, we wanted mice..which i had at the time and could have supplied everything for, but our teacher refused to get mice and got the hermit crab instead. Poor lil guy.

Poor little guy :(

• 7 months later...

I directed a friend that I work with... Not a goldfish person to this and other hermit crab threads for info :)

• 3 weeks later...
Okay so forgot to update but here are some pictures of the terrarium

So I took these images a few days ago but here's my terrarium

WP_20160127_16_04_03_Pro_zps8fzwiqvh.jpgWP_20160127_16_04_14_Pro_zpsmkdylv22.jpg

My pools

WP_20160127_16_04_54_Pro_zpsarpang9x.jpg

The stuff in the bottom of the Pools

WP_20160127_16_05_02_Pro_zpssxkznvsb.jpg

I have just fitted some things to hang fake plants off from the top of the sides using silicon so I will get pics soon :)