Hermit crabs

So I have researched about hermit crabs and joined a forum which has been loads of help and I have also had hermit crabs before (the info for them wasn't very good) and I have decided to get them again :D. I have a 20 gallon tank (hopefully quarantine little goldfish in it until its clear of chances of infection and then I'm good to go with the hermit crabs even though I still need to buy loads for them):D. Any advice is welcome :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sand for burrowing, a uva and uvb lighting, saltwater dip for baths and drinking, freshwater as well. Keep the sand wet enough for it to be at a  sand castle consistency. I will ask someone to stop by a little later :)

sand for burrowing, a uva and uvb lighting, saltwater dip for baths and drinking, freshwater as well. Keep the sand wet enough for it to be at a  sand castle consistency. I will ask someone to stop by a little later :)

Ok thanks I never knew they needed lighting I thought they just needed a heat mat on the side of the tank to keep temperatures between 75 and 80F

These threads will be helpful. I'd read them from top to bottom :) plus they've got great pics! :nana

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/114752-so-i-am-adopting-a-hermit-crab/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115310-crabitat/

Edited by Flipper

That's great that your reading up on them and sounds like your going to give them a very nice home once you get some. :)

Thanks I have researched for hours and hours when I'm meant to be asleep lol :D

I have learned over the years there are bad Hermit Crab sites out there just like there are bad goldfish sites. Some give out old, out dated info or incorrect info. I found a great site for Hermit Crab info. Sach's Crab Page. Trust me she has the most up to date, correct info out there! Ask her any hermit crab questions, she is very nice and helpful, and so are the members there. A lot like Koko's :D

Sach's Crab Page website:

http://sachscrabpage.proboards.com/

Sach's Facebook Group page:

https://www.facebook.com/sachscrabpage

Sach's own store for Hermit Crab stuff

http://sachscrabpagestore.com/

Sach's instructional Youtube videos on safe/unsafe foods for hermits and how to set up your tank habitat for your crab etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SACHsCrabPage

I don't know about customs, but I'm not sure you can buy the homemade hermit crab foods from the U.S. But there may be online places where you are, to get homemade foods like foods that are dried in a food dehydrator then powdered.

Some things you will need to know about Hermit Crabs:

There are different kinds of Hermit Crabs that require different kind of care and are more delicate or more hardy. Most seen in Pet Stores here where I live in the U.S. are Purple Pincher and the Ecuadorian. Some more Exotic species are the Strawberry Hermit Crab, Rugie, or Indo Hermit Crabs.

Usually 5 gallons per crab while small to medium in size, 10 gallons per very large to Jumbo sized crabs. The smallest tank should be a 20 gallon no matter how small the crabs. Don't use wire or mesh cages even ones designed for hermit crabs, they are no good!

Sand should be 6 inches deep and preferably mixed with coconut fiber substrate like Eco Earth. Moist to sand castle consistency. Never use aquarium gravel or sand that is made for reptiles, or calcium sand. I use play sand made for children's sandboxes. It needs to be deep so the crabs can dig under to distress and to molt. Never dig up or disturb a buried crab!

Air temp between 75F to 80F  and humidity 80%. They need humid air at all times to breathe properly. Have a thermometer and hygrometer in your tank preferably digital. You can use reptile heat bulbs but tend to dry the Crabitat a lot. Use a heat mat on the side or back of tank above the sand/substrate level.  Have a glass lid to keep in humidity, or plastic food wrap over a screen reptile lid. Don't have close to any light or heat source of course. Mist the sand/substrate often to keep it moist in sand castle consistency but not so much as to make any water puddle below on the tank floor. I use a Reptifogger to keep the tank humid and a reptile heat thermostat to keep the heat at the set temp.

Always have lots of extra shells available the same size and slightly bigger in size of the shell that they come in. As they grow add bigger shells. No painted shells! Or no shells with things glued on them etc. Paint can flake off and poison the crab! If the crab comes in a painted shell offer it lots of natural unpainted shells to move into then remove the painted shell as soon as possible. Make sure the shells have no sharp points inside or any holes. It is necessary because they have soft abdomens that can get damaged easy, and no holes or they will not be able to hold water inside their shell which keeps their gills moist so they can breathe. You can get shells from craft stores, online, ebay, etc.

Fresh un chlorinated water, and salt water is a must. Have a reptile dish or bowl big enough for your crab to dunk it's whole shell beneath the water so I can refresh the water in it's shell and for the crabs to also clean out stuff from their shells. Don't use a de chlorinator that has a slime coat additive. Use a fish de chlorinator like API Tap Water Conditioner. Salt water is made using marine aquarium salt like Instant Ocean at 1/2 cup per gallon of water. Make sure your smallest crab can climb out of the water dish so it doesn't drown by placing a branch, rock pile, etc. in the dish.

Have several hide out huts and places to hide with reptile hide outs, coconut shell huts. Have things to climb up on such as cholla wood, and drift wood to climb. wood branches, dried coral pieces etc.  

Most foods on the market in pet stores are not good for them. Foods they like are fresh foods like fruit, veggies, nuts seeds. They can even have foods that you eat for meals like chicken, fish, beef, dry cereal, (Mine love a tiny piece of Pizza LOL) popcorn, spaghetti etc. Just not stuff that is too processed like hot dogs, lunch meat, or too sugary or too salty. They love coconut! They need calcium available at all times especially right before and after molting. Provide a cuttle bone for pet birds, crushed boiled egg shells, sand dollars, crushed oyster shells etc.

That is all I can think of right now, it is late and I am too tired to think any more LOL!

Thanks for all that information :) I was just reading the whole block of text and thinking when will I get to the bottom of this wealth of information :lol: I already have a heat mat but may need a bigger more powerful one and I also have coconut fibre :) have you ever heard of hermit crab association they have good info and some of the members have bred hermit crabs multiple times :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't been on in a while but I got my hermit crab about 2 weeks ago and I think he/she is either distressing or molting as they dug straight underground so I will get another hermit crab soon anyway and when I do I will add pics :)

I used to always pester for a hermit crab as a kid and now I'm glad I never got one. I don't think any of my friends who had them were properly caring for them, and that explains why they always died on them. I probably would have gotten the same bad care information as them. Maybe someday I'll give hermit crabs a try with a good set up... they sure are cute.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread I have had my hermit crab for 5 weeks now and its still under so I hope he is molting and not dead I am also setting a 30 gallon tank up for him since he is in a 20 gallon aquarium. I will get pics when he resurfaces hopefully :D

Got two more new hermit crabs today and one of them changed shells then to another shell and back to the same one that he changed to first. One is missing part a leg and the other is missing a whole leg and they are very active :) Will add pics this week :D

That sounds like frolicking.... Not drowning :happydance

Time for a "bigger box" said like the chihuahua in the Taco Bell commercial :lol