Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Canister Filter In and Out

Hi,

I am trying to set my canister filter up in my tank.  Does anyone have any tips for where the in and out should be to create the best 'water currents' and to clean the tank the most efficiently? 

My tank is 122cmLx38cmDx46cmH and this is my filter:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131247811389?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

for best circulation, put the input and output next to each other. Aim the output so that it skims across the entire length of the surface of the tank. The water will hit the opposite wall and head down to the bottom, sweeping depris back towards the input. I have no doubt there will be other opinions on this. Test a few different ways and see what you like.

for best circulation, put the input and output next to each other. Aim the output so that it skims across the entire length of the surface of the tank. The water will hit the opposite wall and head down to the bottom, sweeping depris back towards the input. I have no doubt there will be other opinions on this. Test a few different ways and see what you like.

Hi DieselPlower,

Thanks for that, I'll try it out tomorrow.  :thumbup2:

I just didn't want to go drilling holes in my cabinet, only to find I have to move the outlets in a couple of days because its not collecting the gunk :no:, so I thought I would ask first to save myself days and days and holes of trouble!  :hi

:stupid:  :teehee

To add: if you find that the crud is collecting in certain 'dead spots' in your tank, just add an airstone to that area and it will fix the circulation issue.

:stupid:  :teehee

To add: if you find that the crud is collecting in certain 'dead spots' in your tank, just add an airstone to that area and it will fix the circulation issue.

:teehee Thanks for the tip Chelsea!  I would never have thought of that!  :no: What a brilliant idea! :clapping:

This is what I've usually done with canister filters, works well. :)

If you have multiple canisters you can place in/outflow at opposite ends in like fashion.

This is what I've usually done with canister filters, works well. :)

If you have multiple canisters you can place in/outflow at opposite ends in like fashion.

Thanks Dan.  I only have one.... but it is a 2000Lph.  So I guess adding another would be overkill well and truly for my tank!  LOL   If I ever ended up with another one though, that is good to know.  Would they have to be equal flow rate, or would it be fine to have one say 1000Lph and one 2000Lph?

They do not. :)

They do not. :)

Thanks Dan!  Ill keep that little treasure of info for the future.  :thumbup2:

Hi, rearranged everything today, and it works PERFECTLY:thumb: Thank you guys so much!  I had not idea :no:  My tank floor is spotless! :Jig: