Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Filter Media Maze!

Hi,

I have just set up my new canister filter.  This is the first canister filter I have owned.  It came with a whole range of media, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what each type of media for canister filters does, and where it should be (ie. which basket)?

I have:

Filter wool

Noodles (ceramic?)

Bio balls

carbon

I also purchased some biohome plus, and some better grade filter wool in coarse med and fine which is still in the post.

But it led me to think....  There might be better options out there... somewhere...

What filter media is out there, what does it do, and where should it be in the 'water course'?

Does anyone have a list of these, or can list them for me?

Thanks so much!

Hi Ree!

The carbon is unnecessary and comes with a host of annoyances, so I would just put it in your fishy pharmacy box as a way to remove medication quickly, and leave it out of your filter. 

I'd put the filter media you have aside from that as follows:

Top: Bioballs and any other ceramic media

Middle: Filter Wool

Bottom: Biohome Wool

The water should run through the coarse wool first, to trap large particles. Then, it should run through the fine wool so that the smaller particles get trapped. You want the water to run over the biomedia (ceramics, bioballs) last, so that the gunk doesn't clog that media.

You'll want the biomedia tray(s) to be full, so that the water can't pass around the biomedia, as that's where a majority of your beneficial bacteria live. 

Did it come with an owners manual? Mine explains it all in good detail.

Did it come with an owners manual? Mine explains it all in good detail.

Hi DieselPlower,

This is the canister I got...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131247811389?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It comes with a one page A5 brochure, with simple instructions on how to start the canister, not much else... it runs really quietly, and I am impressed with it, but I wanted to make sure I got the most out of my filtration.  It came already 'set up' with the media, but it had filter wool at the bottom of each basket... I don't understand that.  I thought it should all be caught in the first basket the dirty water hits.

Hi Ree!

The carbon is unnecessary and comes with a host of annoyances, so I would just put it in your fishy pharmacy box as a way to remove medication quickly, and leave it out of your filter. 

The water should run through the coarse wool first, to trap large particles. Then, it should run through the fine wool so that the smaller particles get trapped. You want the water to run over the biomedia (ceramics, bioballs) last, so that the gunk doesn't clog that media.

You'll want the biomedia tray(s) to be full, so that the water can't pass around the biomedia, as that's where a majority of your beneficial bacteria live. 

Hi Chelsea,

I've got it set up as follows (in order from dirty water to clean) at the moment (my canister has 4 trays):

3 layers of Filter wools in top basket (these will be replaced with graded foams when they arrive)

ceramic noodles

biohome ultimate http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231534331974?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

then carbon.

Thanks for the carbon tip.  Ill replace the carbon with more bio filtration media when I remove it in a couple of weeks time. 

Are there any medias you like to use or you find really good?

Edited by Ree

Thanks for the link. The dirty water enters the top and goes to the bottom unfiltered. It starts filtering at the bottom and works its way back up. Make sure the mechanical filter material is at the bottom. I would have 2 trays worth of mechanical and the top two trays biological media like the ceramic rings and bioballs.

Thanks for the link. The dirty water enters the top and goes to the bottom unfiltered. It starts filtering at the bottom and works its way back up. Make sure the mechanical filter material is at the bottom. I would have 2 trays worth of mechanical and the top two trays biological media like the ceramic rings and bioballs.

mmmm, the pic doesn't really match the filter.... when does it go past the uv light then, on the way in or out?  I thought it went from the top to the bottom then up past the uv light.... dids me gets it wrong :doh11:

mmmm, the pic doesn't really match the filter.... when does it go past the uv light then, on the way in or out?  I thought it went from the top to the bottom then up past the uv light.... dids me gets it wrong :doh11:

Should I be able to tell which way the water is running by the side the build up is on the filter wool in the morning?

Looking at the pictures it looks like it goes past the UV bulb first, but I am not positive. A properly designed filter would always have the water filtered from the bottom up, so that gravity can aid in keeping the solids at the bottom.

Hi Ree!

Hi Chelsea,

I've got it set up as follows (in order from dirty water to clean) at the moment (my canister has 4 trays):

3 layers of Filter wools in top basket (these will be replaced with graded foams when they arrive)

ceramic noodles

biohome ultimate http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231534331974?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

then carbon.

Thanks for the carbon tip.  Ill replace the carbon with more bio filtration media when I remove it in a couple of weeks time. 

If you are going to be running any meds in your tank because of the ich issue, you'll want to remove the carbon now. ;)

E2Add: I like the bioballs a lot, and I also love using non-toxic sponges in my filters. 

Edited by ChelseaM

Looking at the pictures it looks like it goes past the UV bulb first, but I am not positive. A properly designed filter would always have the water filtered from the bottom up, so that gravity can aid in keeping the solids at the bottom.

Ahhhh Ok... looks like may  I have it the wrong way around.... my poor biomedia!  :o  I cant change it now... I need my husbands help and he has gone to sleep for the night, will it be ok till tomorrow morning?  It will be another 6 hours or so before he can help me.

Hi Ree!

Hi Chelsea,

ceramic noodles

then carbon.

If you are going to be running any meds in your tank because of the ich issue, you'll want to remove the carbon now. ;)

E2Add: I like the bioballs a lot, and I also love using non-toxic sponges in my filters. 

Ok, the ich is being treated in a smaller separate tank, so the carbon is fine for the moment.  The tank is clean and has two previously qt-ed healthy fish just to keep the cycle going till pOdge and Louie can safely go in there.  It would cost me too much moola for meds for the big tank at the moment, so we reduced the water volume they are in until they are out of QT.... did that make sense?  I mean that they are in a smaller tank so less med will be required for their QT.... does that sound better?  Oh dear!  I think my brain has gone to sleep and forgotten to tell me!  :teehee

Which brand of bioballs are best?  I have seen several different designs on ebay. 

Some with spikes http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200-Bio-Balls-Quality-Australian-made-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Aquaponics-AIR-FREIGHT-/111579629881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19faaa0939

some with, well I don't know how to describe them http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ISTA-100pcs-COMPACT-BIO-BALL-S-Aquarium-Filter-media-Pond-balls-fish-tank-air-/181720839740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a4f67f63c

some small balls http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-Pcs-Aquarium-Pond-Bio-Balls-16mm-Canister-Filter-Media-Marine-Reef-Sump-Fish-/131482979882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e9cff0e2a

and some with sponges http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BIOTECH-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Sump-Filter-Aqua-Bio-Balls-Sponge-Media-100pcs-26MM-/201083841488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2ed187ebd0.

Also, is this the type of sponge you mean?  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-QUALITY-Value-Pack-2-Aquarium-BIO-SPONGE-Filter-Media-Fish-Tank-/331201373889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4d1d23e6c1

Thanks so much Chelsea, this is all so new to me, and I don't know enough yet to feel confident.  Your help is appreciated!

Ok, the ich is being treated in a smaller separate tank, so the carbon is fine for the moment.  The tank is clean and has two previously qt-ed healthy fish just to keep the cycle going till pOdge and Louie can safely go in there.  It would cost me too much moola for meds for the big tank at the moment, so we reduced the water volume they are in until they are out of QT.... did that make sense?  I mean that they are in a smaller tank so less med will be required for their QT.... does that sound better?  Oh dear!  I think my brain has gone to sleep and forgotten to tell me!  :teehee

Which brand of bioballs are best?  I have seen several different designs on ebay. 

Some with spikes http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200-Bio-Balls-Quality-Australian-made-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Aquaponics-AIR-FREIGHT-/111579629881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19faaa0939

some with, well I don't know how to describe them http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ISTA-100pcs-COMPACT-BIO-BALL-S-Aquarium-Filter-media-Pond-balls-fish-tank-air-/181720839740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a4f67f63c

some small balls http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-Pcs-Aquarium-Pond-Bio-Balls-16mm-Canister-Filter-Media-Marine-Reef-Sump-Fish-/131482979882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e9cff0e2a

and some with sponges http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BIOTECH-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Sump-Filter-Aqua-Bio-Balls-Sponge-Media-100pcs-26MM-/201083841488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2ed187ebd0.

k

Also, is this the type of sponge you mean?  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-QUALITY-Value-Pack-2-Aquarium-BIO-SPONGE-Filter-Media-Fish-Tank-/331201373889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4d1d23e6c1

Thanks so much Chelsea, this is all so new to me, and I don't know enough yet to feel confident.  Your help is appreciated!

Ah! I thought you were treating them with everyone else. :rofl I must learn to read better!

I really like those sponges you linked. They come standard in the filter I have, so I never really need to buy them. Another type of sponge would be kitchen sponges without mold inhibitors. They're harder to find here, so I dunno how things will work for you in AUS when you go about finding them.

I personally like the spiky ones to run in my outdoor filters, but I also really like using ceramic bioballs for my indoor filters. :) Your biomedia choice is up to you, though, since many different ones work well.

k

Ah! I thought you were treating them with everyone else. :rofl I must learn to read better!

I really like those sponges you linked. They come standard in the filter I have, so I never really need to buy them. Another type of sponge would be kitchen sponges without mold inhibitors. They're harder to find here, so I dunno how things will work for you in AUS when you go about finding them.

I personally like the spiky ones to run in my outdoor filters, but I also really like using ceramic bioballs for my indoor filters. :) Your biomedia choice is up to you, though, since many different ones work well.

:rofl   It would help more I think if my fingers didn't get  :tonge:-tied!

:thanks so much for all your help.  Sometimes I feel like :help1 with all this new information. 

Just one more question.... can the ceramic balls go in the canister filters?  I thought they were more designed for moving bed filters?  I may be totally way off base here.

Yes, ceramic media can go in canisters.  I think that's what most people around here use.

Of all the bioballs you linked, I'd stay away from the ones with the sponges in the middle.  The sponge will break down eventually but the plastic will last pretty much forever . . . .

Yes, ceramic media can go in canisters.  I think that's what most people around here use.

Of all the bioballs you linked, I'd stay away from the ones with the sponges in the middle.  The sponge will break down eventually but the plastic will last pretty much forever . . . .

Thanks faintailfan1, I like things that last forever...   I'll look into replacing the carbon with the bio balls.  I think I have some that came with the filter, so ill use them first.  Thanks for your help....

Hi, rearranged all the filter baskets and media today, and it appears to work PERFECTLY:thumb: Thank you guys so much!  :slicedbread    I had not idea :doh11:   My tank floor is spotless and the water is clearing! :happydance

I've turned off the uv bulb so that the canister can start cycling... is that what I should do?  I didn't want to kill my good bacteria on the way into the filter before they could reach the bio media.  Or is my thinking off on this one too?

Edited by Ree

That's a good idea.

That's a good idea.

YAY  :happydance  I had a good idea!  :yikes  Thankyou DieselPlower! :thumbup2:

I would only turn the UV bulb on if it seems like you need it. The bulbs effective lifetime is usually less than a year and they are expensive to replace. Plus they use extra power.

I would only turn the UV bulb on if it seems like you need it. The bulbs effective lifetime is usually less than a year and they are expensive to replace. Plus they use extra power.

So, in what circumstances would I likely need it?  Sorry if that sounds like a silly question... me is a newbie at all this!

If the water is green. Also, some UV can kill bacteria and parasites etc but I don't know if yours is powerful enough.

If the water is green. Also, some UV can kill bacteria and parasites etc but I don't know if yours is powerful enough.

oky... its a 9watt uv bulb.  Does that mean anything?

Ill remember....

Green is not to be seen

turn on your uv and you'll be clean!

Sorry, rhymes help me remember stuff.  :thanks