Newbie questions

Hi! I'm hoping to get some goldies in the next few months, but I have some questions.

1. Would 3 or 4 fancy goldfish be able to go in a 55g?

2. What filter would be the best?

3. Could I have a planted bare bottom somehow?

4. What goldfish are good for beginners?

5. Would I need a heater? The coldest in the house it gets is 19c

Thanks for reading! Any help would be appreciated????

Hi! I'm hoping to get some goldies in the next few months, but I have some questions.

1. Would 3 or 4 fancy goldfish be able to go in a 55g?  I would stick to 2, maybe 3 GF in a 55 gallon.  We recommend 20 gallons per fish, so 3 is doable but you never know how large they will get.  Some never get very large (as evidenced by my Peanut who is only about 20 grams), while some get very large (as evidenced by ALL of Jared's fish :rofl3 ).  And ya never know what you're gonna get.

2. What filter would be the best?  Depends on how you define "best".  I think we all have our personal preferences.  I prefer hang on back filters while others prefer canisters.  If you go with HOB, you will want 10X filtration or a filter that turns over 550 gallons per hour.  With canisters you want about 5-7X filtration.  Whatever you decide, I recommend getting 2 filters cuz then if one breaks down you still have one running while figuring out a replacement for the broken filter.

3. Could I have a planted bare bottom somehow?  Yes you can and I did for years.  You can get plants such as anubias and java fern and attach them to large rocks or driftwood.  If you look in the Planted Tank Section of the photo area, you'll see lots of examples of great tanks with barebottoms.  :D

4. What goldfish are good for beginners?  Again, personal preference.  I'd say get what appeals to you and what you'd be willing to do large frequent WCs for.  :rofl 

5. Would I need a heater? The coldest in the house it gets is 19c  I don't think you'd need a heater for your main tank but many of us have a spare 10 gallon or two for quarantine/hospital tank purposes and a heater is nice to have for that.

Thanks for reading! Any help would be appreciated

1. Would 3 or 4 fancy goldfish be able to go in a 55g? I would go with three fancy, stay away from koi and commons and comets, they get too big for your tank.

2. What filter would be the best? I like aqua clear, I had a canister and flooded my house, lol So I returned it, petrafied of canisters and yes get a couple.

3. Could I have a planted bare bottom somehow? You can add fake plants with a bare bottom, just to give it some kick.

4. What goldfish are good for beginners? Fancy goldfish are good, as I said commons, comets and koi are not good for beginners but with the fancy its up to you.

5. Would I need a heater? The coldest in the house it gets is 19c I keep one in my tank just to keep it stable but its on low, it gets cold here.

Edited by CourtneyandThunder

Fantailfan1, as usual, gave great advice.

1. As fantailfan1 said,  three is the maximum, but it's much better to start with two.

(C and T, just some information: Commons and comets get longer than fancies, but fancies get both taller and wider.  All of the popular varieties of goldfish grow to roughly the same  average size, with wide variations from that size.) 

2. HOBs are cheaper and easier to use and maintain.  Canisters are more expensive, more difficult to maintain, but potentially provide better filtration.  Both work, so take your pick.

3.  You can also put  plants in pots of gravel and put some large, flat stones on top of the gravel to keep the fish from removing the gravel.  Ideally, you can get mesh pots from a hydroponic store.  These have the advantage of allowing water to flow through the gravel, keeping it aerobic.  You can also find mesh containers at dollar stores, or recycle a mesh berry basket.

4.  A good rule of thumb is the fewer mutations, the more vigorous the fish.  So commons and comets are the most vigorous and easy to care for.  You want fancies, so fantails, which have the fewest mutations (short body and twin tail only), are the most vigorous.  In my ponds, they are as healthy as commons.

5. As fantailfan1 said, the only time you might need a heater is as a part of a medical treatment.  Goldfish have a very wide temperature tolerance -- much wider than we do.  Fancy goldfish are more temperature sensitive than the long-bodied goldfish, but my fancies are perfectly happy in outside ponds that range in water temperature from below 50F in the winter to almost 90F in the summer.  Like us, goldfish prefer cooler temperatures at night and warmer during the day and young goldfish actually grow faster under those conditions than at any constant temperature.

Edited by shakaho