Sign in to follow this  
Kate89

Kate's first fry

Do ranchu fry have smaller tails than other breeds?

Do ranchu fry have smaller tails than other breeds?

I'm not sure Ree. From the bit of research I've done you can at least see the double tail in ranchu fry. This fry appears to have a single or fused tail, if anything at all. Will be interesting to see how it turns out anyway :)

Little update during a water change... still no sign of a proper tail!

Go, Rudders, Go!

Starting to get a little dorsal fin!

8edf7dba-e1be-4baf-94dc-ac5863e7e697_zps

He does have a bit of a tail too!

Yes! I had one with a tail like that. Of course i completely forget which one it was. :doh11:

He's just taking his sweet time developing.  He's a little sweet pea. :P

Yes! I had one with a tail like that. Of course i completely forget which one it was. :doh11:

And did it turn out to have a proper tail Jenna? I think this little guy has a fused tail, as it looks like a single tail from above. Whereas the other fry had an obvious double tail from above.

No idea. :( I'm going to go through pics and see how it developed. I do have a few with fused tails, just not sure how they started off. :teehee

Hey Kate! So i went through some pictures, unfortunately I have no idea if the one with the stubtail made it. It may have developed into the fish pictured below, or it may not have lived. :idont

20150312_144713.jpg

I was actually not wanting to keep this one because of its ugly tail, but look at it now!

20150522_093313_HDR.jpg

Yes there are two here... I cannot remember which fish that was (thinking it's the top one though), so here you have both of the guys with fused tails :rofl

So this is not really helpful at all, but I'll keep looking :teehee

Thanks for the photos Jenna, just goes to show that ugly ducklings can blossom! Looks like you've done a great job with them :) Will be interesting to see how my little guy turns out.

My single bachelor fry will be about 5 weeks old now, and is finally starting to look like a proper fish! He still hasn't developed a double tail, so I'm thinking he is either a natural single tail (which would be unusual from 2 fancy parents right? :idont) or he has a fused double tail. 

Anyway here's a short video of him, sorry it's not great, he's very good at hiding in the duckweed now so I couldn't get a side-view of him.

And... after doing a massive 200% water change and full tank and plant scrub of the main tank last week, I found that there were eggs stuck all over the plants. However after me giving them the deep-clean treatment I assumed they wouldn't be viable, and I scrubbed most of them off anyway. Despite this, a couple of days later I noticed several fry wiggling around the tank. I managed to scoop up 3 into a tupperware box, they looked freshly hatched. A few days later they were free-swimming and eating, and at a week old they're still doing well. Two have definite double-tails whilst one appears to have a single/fused tail similar to my older fry. They're currently in a tupperware box floating in the main tank, I will put them in the fry tub with their older brother when they're a bit bigger.

db754639-74e9-4ee9-9029-3a4ba105d27b_zps

01af08ab-b9c9-414f-b837-45751ab9ff8a_zps

Please ignore the sound in this video, the News was on in the background and I don't know how to get rid of the sound!

Fantastic! The older one has really grown a lot! :o

I'm jealous of all the duckweed you have in there. I cannot keep floating plants alive!

Jenna it's growing like a... well, a weed!!

I don't think it would last 5 minutes in the main tank with the big greedy guys, but in the fry tub it's definitely multiplying faster than it's being eaten. 

Congrats on the new fry, Kate, and I'm glad Rudders is still doing well!

Yay! More cute fry!

I transferred the young fry into the big tub with their big bro earlier, and took the opportunity to get some pics and videos.

First fry...

c5dadc28-85e9-48fa-b4ad-b7ecb70bbc32_zps

Second fry, this one appears to have a fused/single tail like his older brother...

a9160872-3d3d-48ec-aa1f-373b8eccd9f6_zps

Third fry...

54c545f1-cc5e-4f4c-bf0b-8b74b1060686_zps

And a video of the older fry (a.k.a. Small Fry, Rudders, Stephen Fry, the list goes on :lol), he's now too speedy to photograph!

Yummy duckweed

Here's a video of the older fry and one of the younger ones for size comparison. The older one (Stephen) is looking a lot less transparent now, he's a real fish!

Thought I'd do a quick update! Stephen the fry is still going strong, looking like a proper little goldie but still a bit too small to go in the big tank yet. One of the button eyed fry I accidentally killed in an unfortunate siphoning incident, and the nymph fry from that batch was having swim bladder trouble and died a few days ago. So that leaves me with Stephen, and the other little button eyed fry, who we're just calling Small Fry.

Small Fry doesn't seem to know how small he/she is, and isn't afraid of getting in Stephens way!

Stephen is getting so big! I still can't get over that cute little tail of his.

Stephen's in with the big guys...

The cheeky little sausage has been nipping the big guys, particularly my ranchu, all evening. Was expecting it to be the other way round to be honest! I'm hoping he'll settle down and/or someone puts him in his place! :lol

Look at Stephen! It's so cool to see him in with the adults. :)