Can you help identify what this white fluffy/wrinkly spot is?

http://goldfishwhitespot.imgur.com/all/

I've had this goldfish for almost 5 years. I have an improper set up and I am looking to re-home him to a better tank once I figure out what this spot is and treat him. I've tried melafix, pimafix and tetra fungal tabs. It is only a 10 gallon tank, which I realize is way too small. I've been doing about 25% water changes twice a week. I just want to try and get him healthy so I can move him to a bigger tank. 

Is this fungal? Or a parasite? I just can't seem to fix this, looking for any advice or help. Many thanks in advance. 

That definitely needs treatment. 

Could you fill out the form in this link and paste it here so that we know what's going on in the aquarium, please?

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116133-help-request-check-list/

Edited by ChelseaM

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) unknown

• * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

• * Nitrate level(Tank) 40

* Ammonia Level(Tap) unknown

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 20

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0(Ph), 80(KH) 120 (GH)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5 (Ph), ~60 (KH), 120 (GH)

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API 5 in 1 test trips

• * Water temperature? 78-80 degrees F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  10 gallon, has been running 7 years

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Top Fin 10  gallon filter 

* How often do you change the water and how much?  Lately, twice a week and about 25% 

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, and 25%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fancy tail goldfish, about 5 inches?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Top fin tap water conditioner

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Aqueon goldfish flakes, about once every day or every other day, small pinch.

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank?  I tried melafix for about a week, then pimafix for about a week and lately I have been trying the Tetra Fungus Guard tabs a couple times a week for the past week or so.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Unsure if the mark on my fish is fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

I'm guessing it's bacterial and/or fungal.  I would use Seachem Kanaplex and if you can't get that, try Furan-2.  I would also get a pH drop (not strip) test kit and test both your tap and tank pH.  The strips are often inaccurate.  If the tap and tank pH match (or are close), do a 100% water change before adding the antibiotic.  I also suggest switching your water conditioner to Prime to neutralize ammonia and nitrite.  

Lastly, if you are able, I would suggest getting an API Master Test Kit (drops) to test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate accurately.  If you do this, you won't need to buy the pH Kit separately.  

Make sure to remove any carbon from the filter while medicating :)

Thanks! I will get all those things and try that. Any idea how long until he's better? What kind of water changes should I be doing after the complete water change? Is there somewhere I can look to see what pH, nitrite, nitrate, etc all SHOULD be?

• Helper

Your pH should be in the 7-7.6 range, goldfish like it a little alkaline. Harder water, too, is usually better tolerated. If your water is too soft it is more prone to pH swings and crashes, which are extremely stressful to your fish.

Ammonia and nitrite must be zero. They are toxic even in small quantities. I like my nitrates in the 5-10ppm range, though generally anything under 20 is safe. The lower it is the less stress on the fish, but most healthy tanks have low levels of nitrates present all the time, due to feeding, decaying waste, etc. Organic matter directly correlates to that number, and the more decay going on, the higher the nitrates will be.

Does that help?

pH should be above 7, nitrite and ammonia should be 0, and nitrate should be 20 or below.  With nitrate being 20 in your tap, you should aim to keep them below 40.  Although, again, not so sure how accurate the strips are . . . . :idont

I would do WCs every other day as close to 100% as you can.  Keep in mind if you treat in your main tank, it may mess with your cycle.

Your pH should be in the 7-7.6 range, goldfish like it a little alkaline. Harder water, too, is usually better tolerated. If your water is too soft it is more prone to pH swings and crashes, which are extremely stressful to your fish.

Ammonia and nitrite must be zero. They are toxic even in small quantities. I like my nitrates in the 5-10ppm range, though generally anything under 20 is safe. The lower it is the less stress on the fish, but most healthy tanks have low levels of nitrates present all the time, due to feeding, decaying waste, etc. Organic matter directly correlates to that number, and the more decay going on, the higher the nitrates will be.

Does that help?

Yes, thanks for all the help!