Planted Tank Planning

LouiseAnn

Tank planning. Shoebox style lol. This is the look im going for. The white bit in the middle will be bare bottom.

I have some larger scale white stones and grey rock to put in.

The purple tape on the floor is how big the tank is. And the stones are how i think im going to place them.

Just got to figure out how to keep a higher mound of sand and gravel around the rock.

I have heard that after about 6 months the roots do a good job at keeping the substrate in place. But until than its going to be trial and error.

Then planting time ???? taller at the back, bushier in the middle and thinner in the front.

I just hope it turns out the way I vision it.5a286ee85f37ad70bfaf55fd64101622.jpgb40bc401606d7fca32ea80c4ddf6d736.jpg

Planning is quite fun! Did you ever end up visiting Exotic Aquatic? :)

If I can make a suggestion, unless the feature rocks are massive, you should find supporting them on something like a brick, egg crate or a few tiles is the best compromise between rock height and substrate mound. Basically lay the support down first, pour some substrate over and then position the rock on top. More substrate can then be added around the rock for greater scale. If you try to give smaller rocks substantial height with just substrate, you tend to find they slip/are engulfed and the mound disappears.

I did put a few rocks under the substrate to hold the mound in place. Parts are showing through the substrate but I kinda like that look

Looks great, Louise! :D Seiryu stone is a good choice, turns a nice dark bluish grey when wet.

In my experience, the soil is more likely to stay in place when first planting and filling if it is already a bit moistened.

Edited by dan in aus

I can't wait to see it all completed with water and fish, Louise. :P   Your new tank and stand are gorgeous.  I love rimless tanks.  What are the dimensions and how many gallons is it?   

I can't wait to see it all completed with water and fish, Louise. :P Your new tank and stand are gorgeous. I love rimless tanks. What are the dimensions and how many gallons is it?

Hello [emoji3]

It's 6ft x18in x18in. Not sure how many gallons that is. But it's nice and shallow for my fish... But also for me to clean properly.

b9ee14f4e544f1a275a754418a818fed.jpge905d29d370f8a7f475ece1d8ead6e55.jpg

Painted [emoji3] the crosshatch is a bit ugly... But it's going to be heavily planted so I wanted natural light to come in during the day.

Fleur de lis is one of my favourite patterns. And the red is to stand out amongst the greens of the leaves when it's finally planted.

Oh i love the cross hatching! That is such a cool idea! :nana

Did you use a trellis or paint it or what? This is fun to watch. :teehee

Oh i love the cross hatching! That is such a cool idea! :nana

Did you use a trellis or paint it or what? This is fun to watch. :teehee

Thank you ???? i just painted it like that. Hehe

I can't wait to see it all completed with water and fish, Louise. :P Your new tank and stand are gorgeous. I love rimless tanks. What are the dimensions and how many gallons is it?

Hello [emoji3]

It's 6ft x18in x18in. Not sure how many gallons that is. But it's nice and shallow for my fish... But also for me to clean properly.

Hi back. :)

I'd love a tank that size.  Sooooo long for your fish to swim around in and great width and height.   You must be so thrilled about it.

I can't wait to see it all completed with water and fish, Louise. [emoji14] Your new tank and stand are gorgeous. I love rimless tanks. What are the dimensions and how many gallons is it?

Hello [emoji3]

Hi back. :)

I'd love a tank that size. Sooooo long for your fish to swim around in and great width and height. You must be so thrilled about it.

I am I am. Today I can fill her ???????????????? its like xmas!

I'd ask to trade tanks with you but I know the answer would be No.  Oh my gosh, the excitement.  I'll be looking forward to seeing updated photo's.  I hope your scape stays once filled with water and fish. :)

Oh i totally got up and planted her. Eeeep shes only half full at the moment but its looking good ????????????

Then work happened ???? wish I was home with my fish