Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Is this Ick?

I really don't know how resilient ich is out of water.  I wouldn't worry about the pet store.  About 50% of the lfs fish (if not more) that are announced on this forum have ich.  It's just endemic in the the trade.  

All seems to be going ok with QT now.  They are up to 24hours of 0.3% salt at 26degrees and I could not see any ich spots on either of them this afternoon.  Ill check again in the morning.  pOdge seems to be chasing the bubbles a little more though, and yawning sort of maybe once every 1/4 hour.  I have increased the aeration, but that doesn't seem to have changed her pattern.  She does not seem stressed, and both are eating and foraging no problems.  No sign of constipation or any sore spots on their skins.  So I don't know if it is just what she does or if it is the salt.  She did chase the bubbles on the surface when I first turned on the air stone when I had her in the smaller tank.... maybe its just a pOdge habit. 

All seems to be going ok with QT now.  They are up to 24hours of 0.3% salt at 26degrees and I could not see any ich spots on either of them this afternoon.  Ill check again in the morning.  pOdge seems to be chasing the bubbles a little more though, and yawning sort of maybe once every 1/4 hour.  I have increased the aeration, but that doesn't seem to have changed her pattern.  She does not seem stressed, and both are eating and foraging no problems.  No sign of constipation or any sore spots on their skins.  So I don't know if it is just what she does or if it is the salt.  She did chase the bubbles on the surface when I first turned on the air stone when I had her in the smaller tank.... maybe its just a pOdge habit. 

The yawning could be from irritation caused by the Ich, Flukes are both.  Have you started the Prazi or are you planning to wait until the 0.3% salt is done?  If the yawing gets worse, you may need to start the Prazi.

The yawning could be from irritation caused by the Ich, Flukes are both.  Have you started the Prazi or are you planning to wait until the 0.3% salt is done?  If the yawing gets worse, you may need to start the Prazi.

I haven't seen any ich for four days now, and I've done 100% water changes and after the second day I replaced the filter floss in case it was harbouring any ichs, and have been cleaning out the filter daily in clean primed water too. 

The yawning does seem to be increasing.  I'm not too sure.  I was going to wait till the ich treatment was done, would you recommend it to start sooner?  pOdge is also more lethargic, and seems to just be drifting more, not so much effort in swimming. But is still eating fine.

I'm having trouble keeping the ph stable with daily 100% water changes, so I posted a thread in the qt section to ask advice

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121290-how-to-do-ich-and-prazi-treatment-with-100-water-changes-daily/

but I will repeat it here as I would love your advice:

The ph of the tapwater is fluctuating between 8.1 and 8.4 daily.  If I was doing 50% water changes I wouldn't be worried, but with 100% I am concerned the ph jump is too great and will stress the pOdge and the Louie.

I was thinking today of biting the bullet and prazi-ing (that isn't a word I know) Louie and pOdge in the 58gal tank as I think I have calculated I have enough tablets to do 6 rounds. 

I would:

• remove the two comets out of the 58gal tank,
  • add the 0.3% salt, and leaving it sit for a couple of days while I wait for a heater to come for that tank, (could the salt be higher while I wait for the heater?  or no point? with no increased temp?) would higher salt harm BB?
  • do a 95% water change and adding salt back in and raising temp to 26degrees. (don't get the heater in the post for 4-5days, and my shipment of prime has been delayed by bad weather, so it wont come till about the same time)
  • then transferring pOdge and Louie to the 58gal (this would be another 5 days from now)
  • then completing the ich treatment, counting 10days from moving them to the 58gal if no ich is seen (none has been seen on the comets who have been in the 58gal for 6days, and I have owned for over two months now and they have never had ich while I have owned them)
  • then commencing the prazi in this tank. 

The 58gal is not finished cycling yet, but it has got to be more stable for them than the daily 100% changes I am doing at the moment, and the 58gal has to be treated anyway.  Does anyone see a better way of doing this?

Does everyone do 6 rounds of prazi? or less?

How will the prazi affect my cycling/media?

Do you have to completely remove and replace all filter media after prazi treatment round, or just the filter floss (its a canister filter)?

Edited by Ree

The ph of the tapwater is fluctuating between 8.1 and 8.4 daily.  If I was doing 50% water changes I wouldn't be worried, but with 100% I am concerned the ph jump is too great and will stress the pOdge and the Louie.

That wouldn't personally bother me in the slightest but YMMV.

That wouldn't personally bother me in the slightest but YMMV.

Hi Jim!

That's good, but I don't know what YMMV means?  Sorry...  :hide:

Your Mileage May Vary

Google is your friend :thumb:

Edited by Jim

Your Mileage May Vary

Google is your friend :thumb:

:clapping:  thanks Jim..... I didn't even think of googling it!  DOH!!!!!!! :doh11:

I haven't seen any ich for four days now, and I've done 100% water changes and after the second day I replaced the filter floss in case it was harbouring any ichs, and have been cleaning out the filter daily in clean primed water too. 

The yawning does seem to be increasing.  I'm not too sure.  I was going to wait till the ich treatment was done, would you recommend it to start sooner?  pOdge is also more lethargic, and seems to just be drifting more, not so much effort in swimming. But is still eating fine.

I'm having trouble keeping the ph stable with daily 100% water changes, so I posted a thread in the qt section to ask advice

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121290-how-to-do-ich-and-prazi-treatment-with-100-water-changes-daily/

I was thinking today of biting the bullet and prazi-ing (that isn't a word I know) Louie and pOdge in the 58gal tank as I think I have calculated I have enough tablets to do 6 rounds. 

I would:

• add the 0.3% salt, and leaving it sit for a couple of days while I wait for a heater to come for that tank, (could the salt be higher while I wait for the heater?  or no point? with no increased temp?) would higher salt harm BB?
  • do a 95% water change and adding salt back in and raising temp to 26degrees. (don't get the heater in the post for 4-5days, and my shipment of prime has been delayed by bad weather, so it wont come till about the same time)
  • then transferring pOdge and Louie to the 58gal (this would be another 5 days from now)
  • then completing the ich treatment, counting 10days from moving them to the 58gal if no ich is seen (none has been seen on the comets who have been in the 58gal for 6days, and I have owned for over two months now and they have never had ich while I have owned them)

The 58gal is not finished cycling yet, but it has got to be more stable for them than the daily 100% changes I am doing at the moment, and the 58gal has to be treated anyway.  Does anyone see a better way of doing this?

Do you have to completely remove and replace all filter media after prazi treatment round, or just the filter floss (its a canister filter)?

I would:

Just updated info:  my prime has arrived. :happydance   I only had a couple of drops left! :yikes

I also have an added complication.  :thumbdown   I have some guppies in a tropical tank, and the petshop said Sailfin Mollies would be fine in with them.  The Sailfin Mollies are really annoying my little guppys, and four of the guppies are very pregnant, so I need to move them to another tank.  I have my little 12L tank but need the heater from the 19LQT tank to do this.  The guppies need to go through QT as well anyway.  I will have to prazi the whole 3 tanks at the same time.

Can I reduce the temp in the QT tank now back to room temp? (how slowly would this need to be done not to stress the fish?)

Then do a 100% water change in the 58 gal and put them in there without a heater, with the 0.3% salt, and start prazi treatments?

Then when the heater for the 58gal arrives increase the temp again for 10days?

I think our room temp water is sitting about 18-19degrees Celsius at the moment.

Ree, when do you expect the 58 gallon heater?

They say they have sent it today, and that it should arrive in 4 days... so its Monday here, it should come Thursday... but the courier they use is a little slow sometimes, so it could be Friday or early next week. 

I've just rehomed the comets... so the 58gal is empty now of fish, but ill leave the water in to keep the cycle until I go to add the new fish.

Edited by Ree

Just a word of caution Ree.

I've read a lot of your posts over the last couple of days and you have a lot of things on the boil.

Be super careful as you could be setting yourself up for some disappointing disasters. Fish keeping takes (and needs) a LOT of patience.

Just a word of caution Ree.

I've read a lot of your posts over the last couple of days and you have a lot of things on the boil.

Be super careful as you could be setting yourself up for some disappointing disasters. Fish keeping takes (and needs) a LOT of patience.

I agree Jim.  I think I have gotten myself into a pickle!  But I am trying really really hard to sort it all out, and look after the fish I have.  I am not purchasing more at this point, nor will I in the future until I am confident I can look after these really well. 

I really did research, but what I read obviously wasn't right, and doesn't match the experience of fish keepers.  I am really sorry.

I really appreciate everyones help, and imput.  I just cant imagine where I would be without Koko's peeps help.  Thanks.  Im crying again now.   Going to call it quits for tonight, but please feel free to comment on my questions.  I ask because I do not know.  I ask because I do not know how to find the information elsewhere.  Please be patient with me. 

So, the 58 is empty, now?  It will not maintain and complete it's cycle without fish unless you add an ammonia source.  If you do a fishless cycle in there, you can starve/kill any parasites that might be present simply through the absence of fish.  Then you wouldn't need to treat it with salt.  I would try to finish the 0.3% salt in the QT before moving the goldfish to the 58 as the salt will stall the cycle even further.  Then, since it's just these two goldfish now, do 4 rounds of Prazi in the 58.

If the yawning persists, go ahead and do a couple of rounds of Prazi along with the 0.3% salt in the QT.  You won't need to double dose the Prazi, since it isn't Prazipro liquid.  I'm trying to avoid this as you are doing daily water changes and will burn through a lot of Prazi.    

Make sure not to share ANY equipment between the tanks as this can cross contaminate and undo all of your efforts.  If you must share, disinfect and dry the equipment in between uses.

So, the 58 is empty, now?  It will not maintain and complete it's cycle without fish unless you add an ammonia source.  If you do a fishless cycle in there, you can starve/kill any parasites that might be present simply through the absence of fish.  Then you wouldn't need to treat it with salt.  I would try to finish the 0.3% salt in the QT before moving the goldfish to the 58 as the salt will stall the cycle even further.  Then, since it's just these two goldfish now, do 4 rounds of Prazi in the 58.

If the yawning persists, go ahead and do a couple of rounds of Prazi along with the 0.3% salt in the QT.  You won't need to double dose the Prazi, since it isn't Prazipro liquid.  I'm trying to avoid this as you are doing daily water changes and will burn through a lot of Prazi.    

Make sure not to share ANY equipment between the tanks as this can cross contaminate and undo all of your efforts.  If you must share, disinfect and dry the equipment in between uses.

Ok Jared,  Thanks for the help and encouragement.  I have made sure there is no equipment shared between the tanks, so that's all good, and I wash and dry my hands really well (OCD well) between feeding the different tanks. 

I don't have access to ammonia, so can I just add fish food flakes to the tank?  If so how much would I need to keep the cylcle going on a 58gal with a 2000Lph canister filter?  Ill check the ammonia levels on the tank this morning and report back.  I tried to let them get as high as was safe for the comets before I took them out. 

Ok Jared,  Thanks for the help and encouragement.  I have made sure there is no equipment shared between the tanks, so that's all good, and I wash and dry my hands really well (OCD well) between feeding the different tanks. 

I don't have access to ammonia, so can I just add fish food flakes to the tank?  If so how much would I need to keep the cylcle going on a 58gal with a 2000Lph canister filter?  Ill check the ammonia levels on the tank this morning and report back.  I tried to let them get as high as was safe for the comets before I took them out. 

I know some people use flakes to cycle.  I actually have never done a fishless cycle, but there is a link below my signature :)

I know some people use flakes to cycle.  I actually have never done a fishless cycle, but there is a link below my signature :)

Thanks for that Jared, ill have a look and see if I can find the info I need!  :thumbup2:

Oh, I also meant to say pOdge seems to be doing better this morning.  So don't know what changed????

Oh, I also meant to say pOdge seems to be doing better this morning.  So don't know what changed????

Jared, I just remembered I gave them a different food last night... they had seachem nutridiet chorella flakes instead of their usual Nurtrafin Max.  Would that have made such a difference?

Jared, the heater came today for the 58gal tank, so should I put it in?  It has no fish at the moment.  How high can I take the temp without hurting the bbs?  and how slow should I adjust the temp?

It looks like I may have lost my cycle in the big tank? :yikes  :(  

Tested the water after I took the comets out two days ago and it was

ph8.2

am 2

Nitrite less than 1

nitrate 0

today I tested the tank and got these readings

ph8.2

am 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

I added a huge pinch of flakes yesterday, and an even bigger one today...

Generally, heat in the mid seventies to eighties will help the cycle along.

Ok, thanks so much, Ill add it in the tank now and crank it up to mid 80's for a week... see if that helps!  :thanks

Ok, thanks so much, Ill add it in the tank now and crank it up to mid 80's for a week... see if that helps!  :thanks

Ive put it on 30 degrees celcius.... 86degF