• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater
      • * Water temperature? Not sure
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallons
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaClear 70, Marineland 200
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% twice a week usually, been doing 50% daily due to recent ammonia spikes
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 50%, this morning
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 ryukin, small
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy Gel Food, Omega One pellets, brine shrimp, bloodworms
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Raised scales
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Dorsal fin down past three days, not as active, occasional bottom sitting

I hope I've filled out the form properly. Sorry to post this so late, but my fish just hasn't been himself the past few days... he went from being very active/perky to listless. I've been experiencing ammonia spikes for about a week now, so I'm not sure if it has something to do with that (upped water changes to 50% daily). Just before I began writing this thread, I noticed he has subtle pineconing...  :( At first I thought I was seeing things, but I asked for a second opinion from my roommate and she agreed that my poor fish's scales are not laying flat/sticking out slightly.

I will try to post a picture of this later if I can, but for now I am unable to because the camera on my phone is not cooperating. What should I do in the meantime? 

You will need Epsom salt, metronidazole and kanamycin.  If you have a good locally owned pet/fish store, I would call and see if they carry the metro and the kana.  If all you have around are chain stores, then they can be ordered online (look for the Seachem products KanaPlex and MetroPlex).  Epsom salt (not regular salt) can be dosed at 1 tsp per 5 gallons. 

You will need Epsom salt, metronidazole and kanamycin.  If you have a good locally owned pet/fish store, I would call and see if they carry the metro and the kana.  If all you have around are chain stores, then they can be ordered online (look for the Seachem products KanaPlex and MetroPlex).  Epsom salt (not regular salt) can be dosed at 1 tsp per 5 gallons. 

I have generic epsom salt I bought from Target ages ago, is that aquariums safe?

Update: I finally managed to get some pictures, but they do not show the problem very well. He kept wiggling and my phone's camera is not very good, so they are a bit blurry. The raised scales show up much better in person. 

2015-04-232023.02.30_zpsdqd4k6ev.jpg

2015-04-232023.04.11_zpsgz2e3oly.jpg

2015-04-23%2022.59.33_zpsmmykx9io.jpg

He is doing a bit better after adding the epsom, but is still not so perky. I really hope the meds get here soon because I feel hopeless at the moment... he looks awful and it's like I'm just watching without being able to much to help...