More stupid pond questions

Amie Grady

I'm still "new" at this so sorry for the stupid questions!!

How often do I need to clean the pressure filter? And.. Errr... How do I do that? I really don't want to mess with the filter media, it took me so long to get right lol.

Should I be getting rid of the algae? Some say it's good, some say it's not depending on who I talk to!

How often should I be changing the water? I was topping up about 25% daily but only because I had a leak. That's fixed now so haven't been changing water for the last week. Again, people say different things.

Thanks!

Are you able to backflush the pressure filter or do you have to open it up to clean it? Either way, I would give it a cleaning when the flow starts to slow down. In would leave the algae. It is "eating" the excess ammonia etc in the pond. I dont do many water changes on my pond because it usually registers 0 ammonia and nitrate. How big is this pond and how many fish are on it?

It's 500l approx, been running about 3 months. It's a container built into a garden bed lol. I have 7 baby comets (I know I'm overstocked).

I have no idea about the filter, my partner set all that up. I'll go find the box and have a look.

The manual has to have instructions on how to flush it.  I've never had a pressure filter, so I can't help you.  I think you are probably supposed to clean it weekly.

By algae, are you talking about that that grows on surfaces in the pond?  That is highly desirable.  Or are you talking about algae that turns the water green?  This can be a nuisance, but it is normal for new ponds to turn green for a while.  Either way, at this point you should be doing nothing about it.

People with large ponds may change as little as 10% of the pond volume per week.  That's not enough for a little pond which should have at least a 30% water change weekly.  I do continuous water change, dripping in 10% of the pond volume in fresh water daily.  The excess water overflows.  This system produces a steady-state in which the amounts of various chemicals in the water stay constant.  Fish like this.  It's also very little work, since all you do is fill the fresh water container every day (adding dechlorinator, of course).  

You aren't overstocked now, but if they all survive that long you will be in two years.  By that time you will probably have built another pond, and will be fine.  :)