Sign in to follow this  
abcdomo

Possibly rehoming fish:/

I am possibly looking at rehoming my fish and not sure where to turn to..I've thought about just keeping up with the matience and care for them till something happens, but not sure if that would be the best situation. I have always adored having fish and maybe this is just something that is a passing thought, but I feel as if it'd be easier to rehome them. I really don't want to part with them after spending three years patiently expanding my knowledge and my lovely set up..At this moment in time I have a lot to do between school and work and other things..Anyone one else ever feel this way? I wish I had a friend that was into fish and had the knowledge and wants to take them in for a bit..I'd just feel so bad about giving up on them..I have two fantails one is a common and the other is a calico,one oranda who is orange, and a black moor. I live in southeastern Pa so if anyone is willing to take them on here let me know. It isn't for sure, but just so I have a back up plan. I rather give them to people who will love them and take care of them properly than to someone on craiglist...thanks for your time.

I would make time. Your life wont always be so busy.  Just feeding and water changes is all you need to do those should not take long with just one or two fish tanks.  If you are over stocked and making yourself more work then yes rehome a couple so your not over whelmed.  I wish you luck whatever you decide to do.

Edited by Hidr

:goodluck

I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed :hug

I am sorry to hear you are feeling overwhelmed. I understand the feeling. I have been there before. I don't even have all that much going on in my life in the way of busy-ness, but my health gets overwhelming at times and I've tried to downsize and even gave away some of my fish before. My advice would be if it feels like it is, or even could be, just a passing thought I'd wait it out. It may go away. If the thought keeps coming back more than it's gone, consider re-homing them. I think at times it can feel like a lot of work, but other times the joy of the fish is worth it. If in the end you really do have more than you can take care of though, do what's best for you. Only you can know this. I hope you find a way to feel better. I know life can get stressful at times.  :bighug

Probably most of us have had a run of bad luck or just plain got a little tired of it.....BUT....it usually passes!!  You may be very sorry if you get rid of them & sell the stuff only to discover you REALLY want them back!! 

I fairly recently took down my 29 gal tropical (the 90 gal goldie is my MAIN tank)....I just got tired of the extra work.  I was down to 2-3 platties & a couple babies. They now reside in the big tank. All the fish get along just fine & the goldies keep the platty population under control!!

Who knows when the urge will hit me to sit it up again!!  It's packed up & ready to go into action if needed!!!

I homeschool (and chauffeur) five kids and have some major health issues. I get busy. Sometimes it feels very overwhelming to have pet and most of the time it's a nice distraction. I really think even the most ardent goldfish lover goes through seasons where we are more and less infatuated with our animals. Sometimes I love the care routine, like my own bonsai or zen garden! Other times I admit to huffing and puffing over water changes, test kits, medicating, breaking down filters, etc etc.

Like most things in life, the fun of aquaria waxes and wanes. I learned long ago that unless it is totally untenable I'll just regret ditching my animals when the bad seasons pass, and that keeping things simple and moving through those times is the best course of action for me. Then, when I'm feeling better and more engaged in the hobby I can just ramp my interest back up and enjoy my animals a bit more again. Believe it or not this happens with my children, too! I love them, always, but some days are sheer pleasure and others I feel like we just put one foot in front of the other to make it to bedtime. That's a very normal part of life - not everything is fun and joyous and easy all the time. You just persist and do what needs to be done and it generally improves a little ways down the road.

Now, if you're totally fed up with fish and really don't enjoy the hobby as much as you imagined you would, and don't see that changing, by all means re home your fish and sell your equipment. Sometimes we just need a break, even when we love it! But I would advise no drastic measures until you're sure it isn't just a funk. It has happened that when I am busiest of all I need my relaxing, beautiful finned friends even more. They're like a deep breath of peace at the end of a difficult, busy day.

Edited by Arctic Mama