Mystery Snail 101

Josie

Hey everyone!  I just got my first mystery snail, and I love her!  She is in with my goldies and nerites.  I have been reading about snails though, and I am wondering if I should be giving them food-like cucumbers?  Won't the goldfish eat it?  Also calcium?  What is the easiest way to do this?  I will try putting in a cucumber tonight, hopefully the goldfish won't eat it in the dark!  It seems like a lot of people have mystery snails, but I have read that some species will destroy your live plants.  I am pretty sure I got a plant safe mystery snail, but has anyone had experienced their snail ruining their plants?  I know these are really basic questions, but it never occurred to me that snails would need special considerations until I got home from the store and started reading online  :hide: at which point it was too late because I already bought her!

• Supporter

If the are diffusa aka mystery snails your plants are perfectly safe. The only ones they will eat are ones that are dieing or dead.

The easiest way to supplement calcium is with those weekly feeder things you can get for fish when you go on vacation.

Thanks, I have no idea what the vacation feeders are but I will find out when I go back to the LFS, I am sure they have it!  I have been reading all about the different species online, but I am pretty sure I have the diffusa ones.  I have always gotten great advice from this store and healthy livestock so I doubt they sell any of the other species, but I will double check with them when I go back.

Edited by Josie

Thanks everyone for the info!  I put cucumber in last night, but I don't think anyone touched it.  I will try again tonight, and maybe give them lettuce too :)  I will order some of those calcium blocks today.

Well it is my third attempt and finally success!  My snails have decided they like vegetables.  I have been putting veggies in each evening when the tank gets dark and tonight I went back in and there were 3 snails on it!  I am so happy.  Tonight I gave them kale, cucumber, and carrots.  Is feeding veggies mainly for mysteries or should I start feeding the nerites in the other tanks too?  I guess it never occurred to me that snails needed food aside from algae!  I am still such a newbie  :bye2:

I bought some of the vacation feeders today at the LFS.  One thing I thought of though, will it cloud the water?  Is it something I put in for a few days so that the snail can absorb some calcium and then they won't need it again for a while?  Or do they need a constant supply?  Could this be achieved by leaving a cuttlebone in the tank?  The guy at my LFS told me since our city has very soft water, he buys mineral water at the grocery store and adds about one pint per gallon and it is enough for his snails and to bring the GH up.  Has anyone ever tried this approach before?  If my GH is high enough does that mean my snails don't need any supplemental calcium?  Sorry for so many questions, but I am just trying to figure out my options here and also get a better understanding of how this whole calcium/mineral thing works :)

• Supporter

Its still good to supplement occasionally even if you have a high gh but not as needed.

They don't really cloud the water in my experience.

Cuttle bone can and is uses quite often on snail fourms with success. One thing is your ph needs to be above 7.0 preferably 7.6-7.8.

Its still good to supplement occasionally even if you have a high gh but not as needed.

They don't really cloud the water in my experience.

Cuttle bone can and is uses quite often on snail fourms with success. One thing is your ph needs to be above 7.0 preferably 7.6-7.8.

My pH is rather high-usually around 8.2.  I think I will try the cuttlebone, I feel better about leaving it in there since it doesn't have any food in it like the vacation feeders do :)

I find that the snails need the blocks - but I do use the small ones and only about twice a month.  They don't cloud the water.  My snails never, ever touched cuttlebone.  

Thanks!  I will try a similar schedule and see how it goes :)