Achievement Unlocked - Respawn!

ilrak

Last night, I came home from work to find Guy (who was finally allowed to be with the girls) in the middle of a spawning chase with LB and Izzy! Sure enough, I have eggs! I've separated what I could into the hospital tank and have put a DIY spawning mop (thank you SolidGold!) in the tank. I'll have to stock back up on baby food if these ones hatch!

It's been so long since I had fry! I'm so excited! I just wish they would've waited! And I'm wondering who the mother will be for sure of the ones I hatched. Currently, Izzy is the main target and LB is occasionally the target of nipping, but not as much as poor Izzy.

I'll post pictures soon!

-ilrak

• 4 weeks later...

Meant to post sooner! The earlier spawn was unproductive (it was Guy's first time as well), but for Mother's Day, I was greeted by the sight of several eggs. This time, I was quicker with the breeding tank as well and fished out (pardon the pun) as many as I could.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/2015-05-10%2015.35.04.jpg

Today, I was greeted by this awesome sight:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/2015-05-13%2008.28.26.jpg

Most of the babies are free swimming it looks like (which is weird since the first eggs were laid Sunday as far as I can tell and the latest were laid Monday (confirmed to be LB's since we watched that spawning xD). There are quite a few still living off of embryos as well. LB and Izzy also attracted by attention to this little free swimming guy who was put into the "baby transport" glass that I haven't had to use for 3 years.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/flippin_k_moon/2015-05-13%2008.39.20-1.jpg

I'm so excited! Now though, I need to go buy more plants because after spawning, LB tore up all of the plants and then refused to go anywhere near them so they had to be put into the breeding tank xD

Yay babies!

I totally forgot to post this video I took of one of the eggs hatching!

We're pretty sure this one was one of LB and Guy's since LB laid eggs later than Izzy did (and most of Izzy's had hatched by that point.

Right now, we have a ton of free swimmers and so far no dead fry! I'll do a count tonight (I'm going to have to transfer to a tub because way more survived and hatched than I thought would xD

Congrats on finding eggs and having some fry from an earlier time.

The video above of the egg hatching was amazing. That's one prized video.   :wub: That was so awesome being able to get that on video.  My eyes were glued until it hatched. :P

Thanks! I actually set up the camera and set it to run . The original video of it is almost 30 minutes! I had seen him move in the egg earlier that day and so I knew to set up the camera. xD

It gave me an idea for a teaser trailer for my game though so after I get my animation software reinstalled on my computer, I get to work on that (in between feedings xD)

I have no idea what your second paragraph means. hahaha    

30 minutes to capture that wasn't long at all.  It really was neat to see.  I have all males in my tank.  So no eggs or fry for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fry update! I've taken about 200 photos (I need to find a way to host them in a fryary sort of thing)

This one makes me happy though, even with the terrible cellphone quality. I took it during a cleaning (so the bubble filter was off and everyone was migrating to it):

2015-05-31%2019.42.55.jpg

Look at that tail! I'm such a happy fish mom!

this is only a tiny fraction of the fish in the rubbermaid. We're trying to find a way to cap the tank we used to have fry in before (it's drilled for a canister said canister has since gone away) so that I can move them into there.

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much!

Forgot to update for a while, but the babies are doing pretty well! Lost quite a few while we were in Yellowstone, but there are still a lot that have survived! Seven reached the two inch point already and went to a friend who has a "baby pond" alongside her adult pond. We have a few more who will be going to a few horse tanks in two weeks (they still have a few of LB's siblings that they brought indoors one winter) and then after that, the rest will either be going to another friend's pond or the one we are getting ready to put in the backyard for the ones who we just can't part with.

The girls are getting ready to spawn again (we had a heat wave that triggered them to think it was time to spawn) but we're not letting these eggs hatch this time. We just got done with the vet visit and have some meds on hand in case they have any issues after laying this batch of eggs (it's been pretty rough on them this week).