Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Tank Stocking Standards

Hi,

I'm getting a bigger tank!  YAY  Its second hand and is 220L or 58USgal.  What is the stocking ratio for fancy goldfish?  I would LOVE three, and some snails but am unsure if they would overstock the tank.

Im also getting a 2000Lph canister filter for it (don't know if this makes a difference or not). And it has a surface area of around 4697sqcm or 728sqin.

Thanks for your advice!

Edited by Ree

Goldfish are recommended 15-20 us gallon per fish. Snails I'd allot 1-3 gal a piece. Depending on snails of course.

About 1-2 for nerites and 3 for mysteries.

Three could be fine or could be pushing it, depending on your husbandry habits. I'd probably only put two in there if you had snails because they're quite messy.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Goldfish are recommended 15-20 us gallon per fish. Snails I'd allot 1-3 gal a piece. Depending on snails of course.

About 1-2 for nerites and 3 for mysteries.

Thanks for that Daniel, that is the info I was after! :happydance

Three could be fine or could be pushing it, depending on your husbandry habits. I'd probably only put two in there if you had snails because they're quite messy.

Hi Arctic Mama, Thankyou, that is a very valid point!  I will consider how often I can change the water/clean.  I am very careful about how clean I keep my current tank, and testing the parameters, and plan to have the tank as maintenance free as possible, but still look nice, and have an interesting environment for my lil fishy friends. :fishtank

I think three in a 55 is a lovely amount if you're relatively new, though I'd add them slowly to allow the filter's good bacteria an opportunity to keep pace.

If you're an experienced goldfish keeper, and extremely diligent about water changes (very large weekly water changes, 85% or more, no slacking), four isn't unheard of.

A lot depends on the size of the fish, too. Three or four young goldfish is vastly different from three full-grown fish.

If you're planning on not upgrading any time soon, I would stick with 2 fish and the recommendations Daniel gave you for snails. This will allow the fish room to grow, as well as allow you some flexibility in how often to change the water. 3 fish would be fine for quite some time, but that would be fully stocked IMO, and that means you don't have as much wiggle room with your WCs in case you go on vacation or have a time when you aren't able to keep up with large (greater than 50%) weekly WCs. 

Also, if you are going to want a BN and can find one in AUS, you'll want it to have a similar amount of room as your goldfish. 

Edited by ChelseaM

Three is fine.  You have made your dedication to good care very clear.  By the time they are grown, you will have your house and can move them to a garden pond if they need more room.  :)

I agree 3 is doable. I do suggest starting with 2 until the cycle is well established. Then wait til you find that perfect fish you absolutely must have.

I think three in a 55 is a lovely amount if you're relatively new, though I'd add them slowly to allow the filter's good bacteria an opportunity to keep pace.

If you're an experienced goldfish keeper, and extremely diligent about water changes (very large weekly water changes, 85% or more, no slacking), four isn't unheard of.

A lot depends on the size of the fish, too. Three or four young goldfish is vastly different from three full-grown fish.

Hi RanchuDressing,  Thankyou for that.  Ill be getting 4cm fancy goldfish to begin with.  That way they can all grow up together, and it will be the minimal load on the biofilter to begin with.

If you're planning on not upgrading any time soon, I would stick with 2 fish and the recommendations Daniel gave you for snails. This will allow the fish room to grow, as well as allow you some flexibility in how often to change the water. 3 fish would be fine for quite some time, but that would be fully stocked IMO, and that means you don't have as much wiggle room with your WCs in case you go on vacation or have a time when you aren't able to keep up with large (greater than 50%) weekly WCs. 

Also, if you are going to want a BN and can find one in AUS, you'll want it to have a similar amount of room as your goldfish. 

Thanks Chelsea.  I wont be able to upgrade for a little while, but they will get looked after well, and we don't go on vacations :no:  at the moment, or at least as long as the fish will be in this tank we wont be going on vacations!  I have gotten the best filter media I can find (bio-home ultimate), and they are not overfed and no food is left in the tank at all.  It all gets eaten before it hits the bottom of the tank!

Three is fine.  You have made your dedication to good care very clear.  By the time they are grown, you will have your house and can move them to a garden pond if they need more room.   :)

Awww, thankyou Sharon!  They will only be 4cm to start with (that's the size our petshop sells), just liddle iddy biddy fish!

Would it give me a little more wiggle room with the bioload if I was incapacitated for a few days, if I just fed once a day instead of twice for those days or fasted them for a couple of days?  Just a thought.  And I could add a little extra prime if it was an issue to buy 24hour if needed?

When they go in the pond.... I could get more babies????

Edited by Ree

I agree 3 is doable. I do suggest starting with 2 until the cycle is well established. Then wait til you find that perfect fish you absolutely must have.

That's gonna be my problem I think DieselPower... I want ALL the goldfish in the entire world!  But I know that would be greedy, and I have to leave some for others!  :teehee  

That's gonna be my problem I think DieselPower... I want ALL the goldfish in the entire world!  But I know that would be greedy, and I have to leave some for others!  :teehee  

Just remember all chocolate goldfish belong to me :teehee

CHOCOLATE? CHOCOLATE  mmmmmmmm.... where's the chocolate? :feedme... LOL  sorry, I got off topic!

OK Koko, you can have all the chocolate fish, can I have the rest????  :please  or do I still have to share :donthit:

Edited by Ree

CHOCOLATE? CHOCOLATE  mmmmmmmm.... where's the chocolate? :feedme... LOL  sorry, I got off topic!

OK Koko, you can have all the chocolate fish, can I have the rest???? 

I got the Chocolate.... :cookie:  

Sure... So all the other fish can go to you... :rofl:whistle

OK Koko, you can have all the chocolate fish, can I have the rest???? 

I got the Chocolate.... :cookie:  

Sure... So all the other fish can go to you... :rofl:whistle

Thankyou Koko :happydance ... mmmmmm,  where to put them all  :yikes ?????????? ahhhh..... how to FEEEED them all!!! :rofl3

Ok, I wont be greedy, :tou  I'll just give my three a good home! 

Now... where did I put that packet of chocolate.....

You know what lets make a new thread :rofl

Ill split this :rofl

Ok.... I don't know what that means :yikes ... but ill trust you....

how do I find the new thread?  :help: