Sign in to follow this  
SageBear

New oranda with white eggs in inflamed gills?

Nope, there really aren't. We're up north, so koi ponds aren't that common.

We were talking to an ichthiologist my Dad worked with "back in the day" and who we have dealt with before for fishy stuffs.. and he said a peroxide dip might be the best we're going to get up here. He said the fish can probably take it more than the parasite. Sounds extreme?

We're at a loss, he's fighting valiantly and I want to do something to help him, but I don't want to act without confirmation on here and so far we can't get any of the meds they recommend :(

He passed.

He was going downhill all day, a few hours ago he started floating and was barely breathing, and now he's gone.

If anyone wants we will post pictures of the inside of his gills for informative purposes. We will be looking at them to see what we were up against, mostly to make ourselves feel better i think. 

But if you like we will post pics.

Sorry to hear this.  I would keep the second fish quarantined as it is possible it has been infested as well.  

It's a bit late for that now, on advice earlier we added him to the tank with our big guy.

We have meds coming on thursday, we'll treat the whole system. It'll take a while before they get to the point our little guy was at, we've got time.

I am so sorry.  I'm afraid the infestation was too advanced for the survival of such a young fish.  You did everything possible.  Now you know what gill maggots look like (and so do we) you can keep an eye on the other fish for infestation.  A few "maggots" (they are actually egg-bloated female copepods)  are not difficult to treat.

I'm sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, little one.