Sign in to follow this  
SageBear

New oranda with white eggs in inflamed gills?

Also, definitely no dimilin x. Looking up the ingredients to see if they have something similar. Is there something else reccomended?

Help help help! We have: prazipro, paraguard, benzaldehyde green, pvp, malachite green, nitrofurazone... Pics to follow

Did some web research on the store, ended up getting metronidizole, kanaplex, and the copramine as that was the only thing they had that was mentioned anywhere online for gill maggots. Does anyone have any advice on treatment protocols?

Can you link whatever you found that states Cupramine can be used for gill maggots? I can't seem to find anything that suggests copper . . .

Copper is soooooo harsh. Have you checked how long it would take to get the dimilin?

Also, definitely no dimilin x. Looking up the ingredients to see if they have something similar. Is there something else reccomended?

The only place I've found you can get the dimilin is online through ebay. There is another place you can get a very similar product that is made with dimilin called De-Los. It is by the National Fish Pharmacy. I'm not sure if they can ship to you in Canada or not, but you might be able to call them and find out. They may be able to do faster shipping also. http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-De-Los-59570.Item.html

It does not appear that we can get that here in Canada, all i get is a bunch of gov't research and warnings. Apparently the substance diflubenzuron is not banned in Canada, but for the life of me I cannot find it anywhere. eBay Canada doesn't sell it from a supplier that'll ship to us. I've even started looking at insecticides and home hardware stores for commercial preparations that could be diluted. Nothing.

NFP does look like they'll ship to us!! :D Thanks a ton for the link :D

The lfs is going to bring in a preparation of Life Bearer by thursday. Should I hold off for that and hope he makes it that long? Order the  De-Los and hope he waits that long? Treat with the copper and antibiotics? I really have no idea what I'm doing here.... :'(

Edited by SageBear

I'm glad the link was helpful. :) As far as further treatment, I'd wait for further instructions from the mods on that, they will be able to let you know. I'm sure they'll be back soon to advise you. 

I'm at work between patients so not lots of time for Internet searching. What is the active ingredient in Life Bearer? What about De Los? :idont

I would not use the Cupramine until we explore the other options . . .

Alright, no worries.

The De-Los is diflubenzuron, the same as the Dimilin X

The Life Bearer is 0.0-dimehyl, 1-hydroxybenzol, 2-trichloromethyl phosphate.

His tank contains 10 gallons of Prime-treated water with 0.1% salt. Currently the parameters are:

pH 7.2-7.3

ammonia and nitrites 0

nitrates 5

We did a full water change yesterday. We moved the other little one over to the big guy's tank. 

No. What we showed in the pictures is what we have here, I'll see if I can get the hikari stuff

Nope, that's a no-go. Apparently getting meds in Canada is a real pita :( 

We tried to order from that NFP website, and it got to the end and told us we couldn't up here. ebay same situation. BALLS. 

Ok, how quickly can you get either the LifeBearer or De Los?

De-Los is out, Life Bearer should be here thursday if the supplier pulls through.

I haven't started any meds yet, not even the antibiotics, cause I'm not sure if I should do as the bottle says or if there's a different plan because of the maggots?

Have you tried contacting a veterinarian? I know some people had to get dimilin that way in the past in the US.  

I spoke to the vet pharmacy here, they hadn't heard of it :( 

I didn't go in to see the vet, here vets are very focused on dogs and cats. There's only a few who can handle rabbits, and I would be SHOCKED if there were any who would take the time to treat fish, beyond recommending euthanasia procedures. And I don't think we're there yet. 

I wouldn't start any meds yet. The copper is too harsh and the antibiotics are for after the dimilin treatment to treat any secondary infections.

Okay :( Poor little guy, i feel so bad for him, and I want him to make it! He's got the sweetest little face, and more head growth than the other one, even this young!

Are there any koi places or pond places close to you? They sometimes have medications that are hard to get. Someone said that Proform LA is as gentle as dimilin and may be able to be purchased in Canada.

This place on e-bay ships to Canada but sheesh it is expensive stuff: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Koi-Pond-Proform-LA-Treament-of-pond-fish-caused-by-Lice-and-Anchor-Worms-1-QT-/141323842918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e78eb566#shpCntId

Maybe you could ask them if they have a smaller sized container...like a pint instead of a gallon.

Edited by Kayla102968