Sign in to follow this  
SageBear

New oranda with white eggs in inflamed gills?

Hi guys, need some help with a very strange and yucky issue..

We got two new teeny tiny blue orandas on Friday, we knew one was sick when we bought him but it wasn't until we got him home that we realized how bad it was. We got there as they were being unboxed and brought him home in the bag they came from the supplier in. 

He is very hollowed, his back end is pretty wasted and he tends to float with his head slightly down. Still relatively active, and is eating. 

His gills are very inflamed, they are full to the point of not closing with what looks like white eggs?? I haven't been able to see anything on google that looks like it. It really looks like roughly 0.5mm eggs are crammed in there, as many as possible.

The other one is just too darn perfect, great shape, slight fin deterioration which I'm assuming is from crappy water at the suppliers? 

We're doing 90% water changes every other day, we've added aquarium-safe salt at 0.3%. Our parameters s/b great (?) The filters they're in with are two fully established and cycled sponge filters, with the every other day water changes I haven't been bothering to test params.

I haven't tested the tap water, we treat all water going in with Prime. 

He's in a 20gal qt tank with the little one he came with, they are both about 2" long including the tail. Super tiny. 

We're starting prazi today, treating both the qt and our big guy as he is also new to us (just starting a goldy tank, we're apparently suckers for sick fish.. yay for the underdog!)

Please please please does anyone have any advice on what this might be?? I haven't found anything even remotely similar through google, or google images. Totally baffled!

I do have a video, but i can't figure out how to post it :(

Is the video on youtube if so just copy and past the url :)

No, it's something my bf posted to the goldfish keepers fb group. I'll try to download and then add to my media?

I'm sorry, I can't get it. :'(

Please help? I really have no idea what's happening and he's so cute and fighting so hard... I'd love to get him better and grow him out. He's just so frigging cute!

Can you post pics?  It's nearly impossible to tell what it is without seeing it . . .

I'm trying, i've got screen shots but I can't figure out how to get them onto the post! Arrrg, I used to be so good with stuff like this. I'm getting old and left behind by technology. One minute, I swear I'm working on it!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s375.photobucket.com/user/Rebecca_Brade/embed/slideshow/"></ifr

-PAXP-deijE.gif<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s375.photobucket.com/user/Rebecca_Brade/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Edited by SageBear

Got it. This are screen shots from the video, they aren't very good but they're really the best I can get :'(

You can see how wasted he is, as well as the little white dots inside his red and inflamed gills. Those dots are round, and kind of shiny/well defined, like eggs? 

Better pic here, we're doing a tank cleanout andwater change to get rid of substrate and detritus...

11156921_10152699359245563_1578203776_n_

Awesome fish. Hope someone here can help you. I have no idea what that would be. Although my first instinct is parasitic.

Good luck

Yikes! Those look either like eggs or bacterial nodules on the gills. No advice here, but I hope we can find a treatment to help your little guys :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

Hope they get better soon.

Thaks guys, it's actually much much worse than the pic shows. His little gills are literally stuffed full. 

I've reported this to the mod team for discussion. While I wait for replies, can you let us know hat meds you have?

Aww poor darling! I hope all goes well and he pulls through!!

Thank you so much!

We currently just have prazipro on hand, we have a very good lfs with a full stock of antibiotics and anti-fungals etc, i don't know about the availability of medicated food though. We are in Canada if that helps, I know some places have regulatory limits on what meds are available.

I've been soaking their food (omega one sinking pellets) in garlic for the time being. 

OH! And we have salt. Lots of salt lol. And peroxide, our big guy (also brand new) has an un-erupted ulcer/cyst.

Were these fish raised outside?

I don't know ????

Got them from a chain store, I would imagine they use a commercial breeder focused on low cost high volume production, especially since they shipped him to the store looking like that

What kind of Prazi are you using?

Prazipro liquid by hikari

Prazipro liquid by hikari

Okay, there is some debate over whether 0.3% salt will diminish the effectiveness of Prazipro liquid.  You can drop the salt back to 0.1% or try double dosing the Prazipro.

On it right now. 

Also, here's another picture if it helps? 

11159944_10152699952685563_4606224484416

I have an idea of what this might be, but we are still discussing it as it is not something we see often.