Matcha has a big hole in her tail

Hi guys,

I've been in Sri Lanka for the past month and have just returned home to find that my oranda, Matcha, has a large hole in her tail. She and the other two fish are active and happy. Whilst I've been away they have been cared for by a friend for about ten days and then Baz the rest of the time. I was aware that they wouldn't be getting as frequent water changes as they usually would when I'm home, so I left out specific amounts of pellets to feed (less than usual) and strict instructions, however despite this I'm wondering if the water quality did suffer and may have caused or at least contributed to the problem. 

Here is a video and a few still shots. Sorry they're not the best, I've just been greeted with this after a 12 hour night flight, so will try to get some better pics later when I'm feeling more human and Baz is around to help!

9be1ac2b-8eae-4590-92b8-e13e75ec7501_zps

81b841f6-2851-4e1c-a3fb-dd2b5c65c305_zps

1aafbe6c-7531-48fe-9bba-d97019dc2a24_zps

Here's the form:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5-10 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2

6F4332DB-408D-494B-A9B3-DCE453202D99_zps

• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5-10 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8??
  • FEEF2F64-11F2-4E1F-87C2-8936530C9AF2_zps

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Kit, drops
  • * Water temperature? 24 degrees C
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50 UK gallons or 60 US gallons. Running since February 2014.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? ​Fluval FX6 canister
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 90%. Sometimes do extra ones if I have time.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Baz did a w/c yesterday, he said it was about 80%.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3. One oranda, about 4-5 inches in body length. One ranchu, about 3 inches. One fantail, about 4 inches.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stresscoat
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead and Saki Hikari pellets in the morning and afternoon, soaked. Repashey soilent green in the evening. One cube of FBW every other day. Leafy veg and/or dried seaweed in a veggie clip couple times a week.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. All fish went through the recommended qt procedure, with salt and fluke treatment (I use Kusuri Wormer Plus, active ingredient flubendazole) when purchased. Ranchu and fantail were bought last August, oranda was bought in October. Last whole-tank Kusuri treatment was just before Christmas I think. 
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Large hole in oranda's caudal fin. Edges of lesion are white.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No. Normal, hungry and active self.

This is the first time ever that I've had nitrate readings in either my tank or tap water. When I initially tested the tank water I thought aha, lack of w/c's has caused increased nitrates. But then I checked the tap water and was like whaaaat, nitrates in the tap water?? That is definitely new. 

I'm just wondering whether to put her in a qt tank tonight or not. And how to I get rid of the nitrates if they're in my tap water? Does Prime neutralise nitrates?

Will wait for your expert advice :)

Do you see any chasing behaviour, Kate?

Not currently, and Baz says they haven't been but that doesn't really mean anything lol.  

However my fantail, Jeremy, has had breeding stars for a while now and I had seen him chasing her before I went away, so it is possible there's been some rough love going on  :ehh  

Eggs!! Eggs everywhere!!!  :krazy:

I mustn't have seen them before in my sleepy jet-lagged state. Most of them are white now, but I've managed to collect 11 transparent eggs with little tiny baby fishy dots in them into a tupperware box  :wub:

What do I now? I know that's very few eggs, but I'll give it a go :)

I think pristine water should do it.  The white edge is probably just the start of the tissue healing.  Watch for infection, but it should heal fine on it's own :)

Great thanks Jared, that's what I was hoping. She's very well in herself, she's a tough cookie :)

Do you think she'd benefit from a course of Melafix in the main tank, or just stick to plain pristine water?

Eggs with teeny fishy eyes!! :wub:

8DD15C4A-CC9A-4DC6-A138-9F484A94C177_zps

90DA50AE-6DBD-4B63-B5D3-0D973A7149F3_zps

I've just got the box floating in the main tank for now whilst I frantically read about raising fry! Any advice would be most welcome!

745BD09F-0231-4458-83E8-70E1CBF7B381_zps

Does Prime neutralise nitrates? I'm worried about this nitrate in my tap water, never had that before. I usually use Stresscoat as a water conditioner but I do have some Prime I could use instead.

Does Prime neutralise nitrates? I'm worried about this nitrate in my tap water, never had that before. I usually use Stresscoat as a water conditioner but I do have some Prime I could use instead.

No, Prime does not neutralize nitrates, but I wouldn't worry about the low level in your tap water.  Just manage it with water changes :)

No, Prime does not neutralize nitrates, but I wouldn't worry about the low level in your tap water.  Just keep the tank Nitrates below 40 with water changes :)

There's a kind of clear fluid-filled cyst, about 1cm in diameter, hanging from the edge of the lesion today. She's still happy and active in herself. Should I be worried?

There's a kind of clear fluid-filled cyst, about 1cm in diameter, hanging from the edge of the lesion today. She's still happy and active in herself. Should I be worried?

Can you get a pic?  To be clear, the cyst is hanging off the hole in the tail that you showed me?  

Can you get a pic?  To be clear, the cyst is hanging off the hole in the tail that you showed me?  

Sorry for the late reply Jared. When I returned home yesterday the cyst/blob thing had gone, but there was a lot of spawning going on and poor Matcha was being relentlessly chased, so I took the largest male out to give her a break.

Anyway it's all calmed down in the tank today, the hole is looking pretty much the same, she's very well in herself so I'm not overly worried. I have started a course of Melafix as I was worried that she could sustain some more damage during the spawning episode... and it makes my living room smell like tea tree  :P

Also I'm working from home at the moment so I'm able to do more frequent w/c's to keep the water super clean for her, so it's worked out well really.

Ahhhh  :cry

So the hole in her tail is pretty much unchanged, no bigger no smaller.

However I've just noticed that her left eye is protruding and there appears to be a fluid ring around it. No change to behaviour, very active etc. as you can see in the video.

Jeremy is guilty until proven otherwise, this spawning business is a flipping nightmare  :madrant

Shall I set up qt??

Also there seems to be quite a thick membrane/coating to her poos recently. Not sure how significant that is, but here's a picture of poo anyway :lol

258AAC0B-31AC-42E9-9D60-85881F2F8E92_zps

3085dde6-c8fe-413c-8d5f-0d3240b45043_zps

Qt worthy?? Going to bed soon, will wait up for a reply but it will have to wait until morning otherwise. Thanks for your help in advance guys :)

The left eye is protruding, and there appears to be a fluid ring around it. Maybe it's not clear in the photo, but it definitely wasn't like that yesterday. Maybe I'm just over reacting? 

If you are concerned about the eye, I would QT with 1/2 Teaspoon of Epsom Salt per 10 gallons of water and just observe.  As long as the hole in the tail isn't getting worse, I would just leave it alone.  Some keepers slit the fin from the hole to the end of the fin to encourage regrowth, but this can be disastrous if you make a mistake.  

Thanks for the reply Jared. I'll have a look at it when I get home this evening and set up qt if it's no better. I had to dash out this morning so I've not had a look at her. I'm not worried about the tail, just the eye, but maybe I'm over reacting a bit. I'll keep you updated anyway :)