What do you reckon this Nitrate reading is?

Jim_D

This was a test out of a bag of water from a LFS  I went to this afternoon, there were lots of dead fish and none looked well at all,

right in the corner of one tank all by itself was a little shubunkin oranda.......I had no choice but to purchase the fish and try an save him/her and he or her is now residing in a QT tank as I type this.

Why are some pet shops just so bloody horrible? I was in there are 3.45pm on a Sunday afternoon, they had been open since 9.00am and no one had removed 23 (yes we counted them) dead fish from their goldfish and tropical tanks  :undecided: in 6+ hours??????????????

17008125098_75f600b02d_b.jpg

I would say 60-90ppm. :(

At my LFS, we scoop dead fish before we open and periodically throughout the day if there are any. We do water changes on our systems two times a week :) with pond season coming up, we need to start doing maybe three times a week with all the new bio-load from the pond fish :doh11:

Edited by Mikey

That is ridiculous, we have a store like that here I will not go into, its filthy and all the animals are sick and the fish tanks stink. Plus they are over priced. It just makes me sad how some stores treat goldfish as if they are not to be respected like the other fish. Makes me sad, good save, would love to see a pic of him or her.

That Nitrate reading is poisonous, is what it is.

Do you mean calico oranda? Shubunkin are single-tailed fish related to Comets.

Yep....boof head moment there. I've been saying 'shubunkin' all afternoon and evening and being corrected by Jenny and yet I still typed it in!

Ah well....its Sunday night downunder :)

The LFS just dumps new shipments of fish straight into these tanks, I've tried to talk to the manager, but it's useless.

Of course the LFS does that. Not many have room for a QT tank. That's what at-home QT was made to fix.

No, these tanks need to be gravel cleaned and W/C.

Shipment after shipment of fish are dying because this giant pet chain have not the slightest idea of any type of fish care.

But nothing will change, the dead fish will just be scooped out daily till none are left and then the wholesale weekly order of the next shipment of fish with no chance will be dumped along with their ammonia laden transport water straight into these polluted death tanks and the cycle will just repeat itself.